NJDan

Koll on the Call

A few logistical errors.

1.  The referee calling 2 blue..it was either 2 red or 2 red + 2 blue.

2.  The referee going 2 blue and the judge going 2 red.  Looks very bad.

3. I think the score keeper just put up the points that were signaled and did not wait for the mat chairman to tell them what to put on the scoreboard. Another logistical nightmare.

Me: i thought it was 2 red, 2 blue..giving Yanni the win.

This may have already been mentioned, but . . . . 

On a recent FRL episode, they said that the Yianni camp (aka Koll) has acknowledged that if the decision is made in favor of Yianni, that Zain and Yianni would have to re-wrestle the entire second match before a third one even happens (if it happens). The reason is that UWW rules state that once a wrestler's hand has been raised in victory that is final (and the outcome itself can't be changed in favor of the other wrestler). That is, unless there is some procedural appeal of the whole match (in which case you re-wrestle that match).

Koll made his points extremely well and seemed very candid.  I liked everything he said other than when his criticism of Tucci went overboard a couple of times (particularly his claim that the judge was sleeping in the gym and questioning his evening activities).

I tend to think his arguments are generally correct but based on what I know I think the results should probably stand.  I think that replay is at this point causing as many problems as it solves in most sports, and that reversing the results of a completed match would just exacerbate the problem.  The officials make both on the mat and off the mat mistakes frequently. 

Better in my view to try to get better officials, make the rules as clear as possible, and keep improving replay as much as possible -- rather than changing the result after a hand gets raised, which should only happen in, if at all, in the direst of dire cases.  This doesn't seem like that; instead it seems like a very difficult and complex freestyle reffing situation that was in the heat of the moment not handled well.  Which happens a lot, including to Ian Miller vs Cornell.  

22 hours ago, rod_frufit said:

A few logistical errors.

1.  The referee calling 2 blue..it was either 2 red or 2 red + 2 blue.

2.  The referee going 2 blue and the judge going 2 red.  Looks very bad.

3. I think the score keeper just put up the points that were signaled and did not wait for the mat chairman to tell them what to put on the scoreboard. Another logistical nightmare.

Me: i thought it was 2 red, 2 blue..giving Yanni the win.

1. Your opinion. Depending on where a judge or referee is standing or what camera angle you're looking at, all three scores are viable options. As I stated some other place I personally would have a hard time giving 2 only to Yianni for the simple fact with his leg up as high as it was at that time, it's hard for me to think it was his action. But again, all three are certainly possible.

2. Happens all the time in freestyle and Greco. Referee could be standing on one side and the chair on the other and you get two different opinions. It happens all the time.

3. Agree

57 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

1. Your opinion. Depending on where a judge or referee is standing or what camera angle you're looking at, all three scores are viable options. As I stated some other place I personally would have a hard time giving 2 only to Yianni for the simple fact with his leg up as high as it was at that time, it's hard for me to think it was his action. But again, all three are certainly possible.

2. Happens all the time in freestyle and Greco. Referee could be standing on one side and the chair on the other and you get two different opinions. It happens all the time.

3. Agree

1.  The judge and chairman are always in the same "stationary" position.  Zain put them in that position and did "something" to put Yanni in danger, hence at least 2 red and in my opinion, 2 red 2 blue.

2.  Yes..different opinions all the time, but the correct call by the judge should have been(in that situation when the ref called 2 blue) 2 red 2 blue. 2 red only is bad protocol.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:06 PM, rod_frufit said:

Koll makes a few valid points, but he is out of line with some of his(personal) attacks of some officials.  This is nothing new with Koll.

What were the personal attacks? Koll (and a lot of his wrestlers) need to have a bit more class. 

16 hours ago, AIW-HS said:

It is laughable that people still put any creedence in Zain/Pico matches from 4 years ago.

6 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

3. Agree

Listen to Koll's interview on Rudis

6 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

3. Agree

That was a great watch, and helped me as a fan, who was frustrated while watching live, and then at the way the outcome was decided, to put facts to my thoughts. I hope this doesn't just get swept under the rug, but there can be a fair resolution for both wrestlers.

Edited by Coachp