TheWrestlingGonad

Pico shoulda stuck with Wrestling

Pico has done and will continue to do very well for himself. Despite his record. And he has done exactly what he wanted to do. Complete message board strangers should avoid claiming what Pico should do.

He has absolutely owned the current 65kg rep though, so it is intriguing  

Aaron Pico vs. Adam Borics

Pico is 4-2 in the red gloves with white trunks, hailing from Whittier, CA and fighting out of Albuquerque, NM. Borics is 12-0 in the blue gloves and black trunks for this fight, hailing from Hungary and fighting out of Fort Lauderdale, FL. The ref is Dan Miragliotta.

Round 1: Quick tap of gloves. Pico shoots 20 seconds into the round and has the takedown 10 seconds later. Borics gets his back to the fence and posts on one hand as Pico tries to drag him away from the wall. Pico finally picks him up and slams Borics down in the middle of the cage. Borics tries to get back up and eats a left hand before he does at 2:18. Borics tries a jump knee and throws a leg kick. Borics lands another and Pico goes right back to the takedown slam in the center at 2:49. Pico is trying to take the back while Borics tries to control the arms and wrists. Borics tries and fails to sweep but is able to get back to his knees. Pico ties up his legs with his own but Borics breaks the grapevine and gets back up at 4:39. Pico with a right hand and a level change then a right elbow before the bell. Opening round goes 10-9 to Pico.

Round 2: Pico gets another takedown 14 seconds into the round. Borics looks for upkicks and Pico avoids it and lets Borics stand up at 1:08 before taking him down again nine seconds later. Miragliotta calls for more work twice. Borics gets to his knees and Pico responds by kneeing Borics in the left thigh before pulling him back down. Borics stands up and turns around at 3:44. Borics rocks Pico with a flying knee and the fight is over!! Pico was eating hammerfists at Miragliotta stepped in and still looked dazed and confused afterward.

Final result: Adam Borics wins via KNOCKOUT at 3:55 in round two.

Well considering that he didn't have any amature fights before bellator hes not doing too bad but due to all the hype it probably feels pretty disappointing 

I was going to make this same post.

I've never been a fan of the chatter after each loss.... but he just isnt an elite fighter, and could be an elite freestlye wrestler.

Bad fighter with no accolades
Vs
Elite wrestler with all the accolades.

The cash would be sadly comparable but in one sport you have a chance of actually winning... come back and give wrestling a go, you simply arent a fighter and your chin.... I mean....

The glass jaw stuff - I think that is inaccurate or at least is not proven to be accurate just by virtue of the Pico's last two consecutive knockouts. The last one was a dirty boxing head pull right into a full-wind-up-with-body-weight-behind-it hook that I think would have knocked out about anyone at that weight. Of course, it was poor tactics on Pico's part in that fight to allow himself to be put in that clinch at that point in the match, but the shot he took I think would have put anyone out at that weight. It was kind of like Cormier's knockout of Stipe - yet even more force in my view because the pull hand added quite a bit of force to the hook.

And this flying knee - I would again say that would put down probably anyone at that weight. The hardest I've ever been hit in my life - and one of the only times I've been knocked out - even flash knocked out - was when I shot into a knee like that. It is probably not as commonly addressed by commentators on TV as it should be how much more force one takes when they are moving into a blow versus moving away from it. This is why some of those dirty boxing/clinch strikes can be devastating even though they do not look as big of shots as some of the big strikes from distance.

The glass jaw stuff - I think that is inaccurate or at least is not proven to be accurate just by virtue of the Pico's last two consecutive knockouts. The last one was a dirty boxing head pull right into a full-wind-up-with-body-weight-behind-it hook that I think would have knocked out about anyone at that weight. Of course, it was poor tactics on Pico's part in that fight to allow himself to be put in that clinch at that point in the match, but the shot he took I think would have put anyone out at that weight. It was kind of like Cormier's knockout of Stipe - yet even more force in my view because the pull hand added quite a bit of force to the hook.
And this flying knee - I would again say that would put down probably anyone at that weight. The hardest I've ever been hit in my life - and one of the only times I've been knocked out - even flash knocked out - was when I shot into a knee like that. It is probably not as commonly addressed by commentators on TV as it should be how much more force one takes when they are moving into a blow versus moving away from it. This is why some of those dirty boxing/clinch strikes can be devastating even though they do not look as big of shots as some of the big strikes from distance.
He has 3 losses in 7 fights, we can call the first a submission loss but it was basically a tko.... 4-3 with your 3 losses being finishes.... I mean, come on.... and this is Bellator, hes not out there fighting MaxBlessed, Moicano, Ortega, Edgar, Aldo, etc etc.... he's so far from elite in that realm, its outlandish.... but in wrestling, he could round himself into a top 15 world level guy inside of a year.... just sayin

He needs to retire ASAP-this sport is not for him.  It's Jake Rosholt all over again, except Pico is worse. Since you are allowed to go pro in one sport and stay amateur in another, does he still have NCAA wrestling eligibility?  Or was he also pro during his brief international wrestling career?

1 minute ago, headshuck said:

I can’t imagine any fighter entering a cage not thinking they could beat their opponent.

Oh, I agree. But it shows that what you believe about your own ability may be true, or may be totally inflated.

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Oh, I agree. But it shows that what you believe about your own ability may be true, or may be totally inflated.

Pico is undefeated against the current world team rep and his wins were pretty dominant.  Who knows whether he can still beat Retherford or Yianni, but why wouldn't he think he can make the team?  That belief is not inflated, but rather based on his prior experience.  I sure want him to come back to the sport and give it a shot, even if Zain and Yianni are way past his level, because the more depth the better.  Also, the less brain damage he gets in MMA the better. 

Edited by Billyhoyle