TheWrestlingGonad

Pico shoulda stuck with Wrestling

I don't disagree with you - but since people here are presumably combat sport experts or enthusiasts - I thought we could parse it out a little further - if you look at those shots individually he was put out with - they are not necessarily indicative of someone with no chin. Anyone would have been put out by that knee. Of course, if he were a better fighter, maybe he wouldn't have been ducking into that knee. But I would say that was a great move. That fighter clearly looks for it - and he doesn't telegraph it nearly as much as most fighters that throw that do.

With that said, wrestling very well may be his better sport and a better option. 

28 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Pico is undefeated against the current world team rep and his wins were pretty dominant.  Who knows whether he can still beat Retherford or Yianni, but why wouldn't he think he can make the team?  That belief is not inflated, but rather based on his prior experience.  I sure want him to come back to the sport and give it a shot, even if Zain and Yianni are way past his level, because the more depth the better.  Also, the less brain damage he gets in MMA the better. 

Their last match was close and that was in 8-5 in 2015 when Zain redshirted before he went on the winning streak in college . He improved considerably.    

10 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Pico is undefeated against the current world team rep and his wins were pretty dominant.  Who knows whether he can still beat Retherford or Yianni, but why wouldn't he think he can make the team?  That belief is not inflated, but rather based on his prior experience.  I sure want him to come back to the sport and give it a shot, even if Zain and Yianni are way past his level, because the more depth the better.  Also, the less brain damage he gets in MMA the better. 

That experience is years ago in the rear view mirror. Zain, Yianni, the guys a weight class up, they have all gotten stronger and better while Pico has been getting punched.

Edited by TBar1977

42 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That experience is years ago in the rear view mirror. Zain, Gianni, the guys a weight class up, they have all gotten stronger and better while Pico has been getting punched.

That all makes sense but Pico is going to think he's better than the guy he has never lost to.  

He's a mystery to me.  Great wrestling pedigree, and a good striker, although I expected him to be one of the greatest wrestler/striker guys with his training in boxing from an early age.  I hope he gets things going his way, but I do believe most of us in the wrestling world kind of expected him to light it up over there.

1 hour ago, Peso said:

He's a mystery to me.  Great wrestling pedigree, and a good striker, although I expected him to be one of the greatest wrestler/striker guys with his training in boxing from an early age.  I hope he gets things going his way, but I do believe most of us in the wrestling world kind of expected him to light it up over there.

Not a big mystery...he doesn't avoid damage well. I'm not sure if he's got a glass jaw or bad chin as some have said--but the first thing I noticed in his first fight and all of them since is that he leaves his chin dangerously exposed to damage regularly. The shots he's taken would have knocked out middleweights. 

I think Zain, Yianni, and others have raised their levels in ways that can only be done with great time and energy.  Pico is a stud, but I think he will figure this out and excel in the octagon.  I know he is very very good, but I don't see him making this world team.

4-3 in Bellator puts a fighter in the "journeyman" or "opponent" category.  God bless his choice to make some cash, but until he reels off about 10 straight wins that status won't change.  And as anyone who has taken blows to the head knows, those knock-outs come more frequently with less severe shots.

Damn

The losses where all like flukes. Like he was winning and got caught and pinned.but clearly the better wrester.

But at what point is that logic bullshxx. I'm kind changing my thought to he does not have the chin for that sport.

I'm a big fan but Have to stop making excuses till he proves me wrong.

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

13 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I was going to make this same post.

I've never been a fan of the chatter after each loss.... but he just isnt an elite fighter, and could be an elite freestlye wrestler.

Bad fighter with no accolades and CTE
Vs
Elite wrestler with all the accolades but no CTE.

The cash would be sadly comparable but in one sport you have a chance of actually winning... come back and give wrestling a go, you simply arent a fighter and your chin.... I mean....

Hopefully someone who knows MMA well and who has best interests at heart will tell him (1) whether he’s just gotten unlucky early in his career; (2) whether he's been thrown to the wolves too quickly;  or (3) whether he’s just never going to be an elite fighter.

Pico is only 22, so -- physically speaking -- he can totally go back to freestyle if he wants to. He could easily compete through the 2028 cycle 

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, MagnetBack said:

Would love to see him compete for Mexico, win gold in the 2020 Olympics and then go back to MMA and become a champion. 

Is he a citizen of Mexico? I thought his family was Californian going back generations 

18 hours ago, TheWrestlingGonad said:

A friend of mine talked to him when he was sparring with Cotto and asked him about boxing again,  he said he would have easily knocked out Mayweather.  

My friend is a radio personality who was in New York to cover Bellator.  So it's kind of why he was there and why he was asking him questions.  

Anybody who thinks Pico’s spent too much time away from the sport and won’t be able to come back and compete with the elite guys is crazy. He’s 22 years old today and he was 1 point away from being our rep in 2016...when he was 19. He lost to Molinaro on criteria in their 3rd finals match. He wasn’t even training for wrestling full time leading up to those trials. 

Just now, MDogg said:

Anybody who thinks Pico’s spent too much time away from the sport and won’t be able to come back and compete with the elite guys is crazy. He’s 22 years old today and he was 1 point away from being our rep in 2016...when he was 19. He lost to Molinaro on criteria in their 3rd finals match. He wasn’t even training for wrestling full time leading up to those trials. 

I think what has been implied is that him doing it this year would have been unlikely. Can he ever get back there,? I doubt he will even try so long as he has MMA money.