Jump to content
russling

Pico TKO a few minutes ago

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Old Corps said:

Ease up, 

That idiot is trolling by saying he’s a Cornell grad and runs a hotel. 

Effectively, in your case, it appears.

Some say he’s from the Lehigh Valley.

Wherever he’s from, he has a habit of demeaning other people’s college degrees and intelligence. 

He appears to be the smug one here.

I’m pretty sure someone you know really well is the dork.

 

 

Wouldn't it depend on the type of hotel?  Higher end hotels would easily command 6 figure management positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 12:18 AM, MSU158 said:

Cejudo came back and almost did it. Pico was on that level in freestyle. He truly was. He just saw money and fame at too young of an age and chased, what looks to be, the wrong sport for it. 

With the way funding has drastically improved for our top freestyle guys, he could have made a healthy sum by now without taking devastating knees to the face.   At 4-3, his chances at a big payday are slipping away quickly. 

If he can make 65kg I would LOVE to see him come back and make a run at it. As good as the US has been, we just haven’t found a guy that can medal at that weight. He is young enough. Maybe he can refocus and get it done. 

With all that said, I am truly shocked he hasn’t lived up to the MMA hype. Every indication was that he had all the tools necessary to be super successful.   He has a big decision to make and he needs to make it soon!

LOL at Pico being on Cejudo’s level in wrestling. Hilarious. Cejudo won an Olympic gold at 21 years old. Pico made the world team trials finals. This is like saying a state champ and a kid that almost qualified are on the same level. Not even close. 

Edited by SamStall365247

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

LOL at Pico being on Cejudo’s level in wrestling. Hilarious. Cejudo won an Olympic gold before his 21st birthday. Pico made the world team trials finals. This is like saying a state champ and a kid that almost qualified are on the same level. Not even close. 

Pico didn’t wrestle to 21 at Free did he? His one run at a olympic team he made the Finals at NINETEEN. At that time NO teenager had made the team in 40 years. 

In the finals he beat Molinaro 4-2, but would then lose 4-3 and 4-4. Molinaro did make a bronze medal match by the way. 

At NINETEEN he was absolutely at Cejudo’s level and his trajectory was similar. At 21, it is very possible he could have been wrestling for Gold. 

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boompa said:

Wouldn't it depend on the type of hotel?  Higher end hotels would easily command 6 figure management positions.

There’s nothing wrong with working in any capacity at any hotel. 

Dr. Novak is a habitual critic of other people’s colleges, degrees, IQ, etc. 

He’s trolling with the Cornell stuff. 

I’m betting if we were able to know the details of his life’s achievements, we’d be underwhelmed. 

He’s not the first anonymous coward that’s posted here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He beat Zain his RS sophomore year and Zain was very much Zain at that point. Guy won a hodge each of the 2 following years after Pico beat him. Again, Pico was 2 years younger and splitting his training between MMA and freestyle at the time. 

People who don’t think he can come back and get back on that level are nuts. He’s been “away” from the sport for a few years but not that far away. He’s been training MMA full time, it’s not like he’s been focusing on his music career. Anybody who watched his fight on Friday could see plain and simple how much wrestling he’s been doing while “away” from the sport. 

Tall order for him to get back to that level in under a year for the 2020 OTT (especially at a stacked 65k weight class)...but It’s definitely possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Pico didn’t wrestle to 21 at Free did he? His one run at a olympic team he made the Finals at NINETEEN. At that time NO teenager had made the team in 40 years. 

In the finals he beat Molinaro 4-2, but would then lose 4-3 and 4-4. Molinaro did make a bronze medal match by the way. 

At NINETEEN he was absolutely at Cejudo’s level and his trajectory was similar. At 21, it is very possible he could have been wrestling for Gold. 

This is ridiculous logic. Like saying a middle school kid that dominated is on par with a high school state champ because he was dominant when they were 12. The credit is due to the man in the arena, not woulda coulda shoulda beens.  This is the ultimate “Uncle Rico” mindset  

According to your same logic, shouldn’t Anthony Valencia be dominating the NCAA right now and well on his way to Olympic Gold? He took 3rd at the WTT as a high schooler. It’s only logical, right?

Edited by SamStall365247

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pico wasn't Cejudo, but he was absolutely the Truth in his own right.  He made the finals, and almost beat Molinaro, but he also had victories over Emeev and Safaryan before he even graduated H.S.

He is 22 y.o. right now, and it's not like he hasn't been training wrestling hard during his MMA career so I don't see any reason he couldn't come back in a year.  I'd welcome him back with open arms, and definitely think he would be an immediate threat to anyone at the weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

This is ridiculous logic. Like saying a middle school kid that dominated is on par with a high school state champ because he was dominant when they were 12. The credit is due to the man in the arena, not woulda coulda shoulda beens.  This is the ultimate “Uncle Rico” mindset  

According to your same logic, shouldn’t Anthony Valencia be dominating the NCAA right now and well on his way to Olympic Gold? He took 3rd at the WTT as a high schooler. It’s only logical, right?

Actually your analogies are so ridiculously irrational that there is no point in continuing this. 

The one good thing is I am confident  I can bring Uncle Rico into an accurate analogy for you. I am VERY confident I can throw you over the same mountain he can throw that football over......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't know if Pico actually believes that or not. What I do know is a lot of people on this board seem to think that, because he beat Zane however many years ago, he is still better than Zane and can walk right onto the mat after his absence and pick right back up where he left off. Talk about crazy. Now if he comes back to wrestling full-time, there's a good chance he can get back to where he was but it's not a guarantee and it's certainly not likely that he will step back in at the same spot and skill level as when he left. I hope he does come back and, if and when he does, he will have a chance to make a national team but it's going to take a lot of work. In fact, IMO, if he were to retire from MMA today, I think it is too late for him to even think about making the Olympic team.

I believe Pico would handle Zain with ease today, and if he comes back will be US Olympic Rep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MDogg said:

He beat Zain his RS sophomore year and Zain was very much Zain at that point. Guy won a hodge each of the 2 following years after Pico beat him. Again, Pico was 2 years younger and splitting his training between MMA and freestyle at the time. 

People who don’t think he can come back and get back on that level are nuts. He’s been “away” from the sport for a few years but not that far away. He’s been training MMA full time, it’s not like he’s been focusing on his music career. Anybody who watched his fight on Friday could see plain and simple how much wrestling he’s been doing while “away” from the sport. 

Tall order for him to get back to that level in under a year for the 2020 OTT (especially at a stacked 65k weight class)...but It’s definitely possible. 

Fundamental flaw in your logic is saying he beat Zain was Zain was very much Zain. Zain in freestyle was much different than Zain in folk back then. The results prove this out. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Actually your analogies are so ridiculously irrational that there is no point in continuing this. 

The one good thing is I am confident  I can bring Uncle Rico into an accurate analogy for you. I am VERY confident I can throw you over the same mountain he can throw that football over......

Nice ad hominem. In honor of father's day, my dad can beat up your dad. 

Pico's decision to go MMA was dumb, but the people acting like his trajectory would have continued linearly are even dumber. In addition to some God given talent and extreme work ethic, he experienced great success early on because he was training so much harder than everyone else at a young age. Once the training intensity of his peers caught up, so did they. Classic case of peaking early. 

But congrats, let's award him his Olympic gold medal based on his World Team Trials Runner-Up finish! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Actually your analogies are so ridiculously irrational that there is no point in continuing this. 

The one good thing is I am confident  I can bring Uncle Rico into an accurate analogy for you. I am VERY confident I can throw you over the same mountain he can throw that football over......

The Valencia comparison is spot in IMO.  Im also confident I see some mountains over there and Stall could be heading over them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olddirty said:

The Valencia comparison is spot in IMO.  Im also confident I see some mountains over there and Stall could be heading over them

AV has proven to be very solid at Free, but what he accomplished was way behind Pico.  First off, he did it in 2015, a non Olympic year. 2nd,  At the Open he took 3rd, but his best win was Caldwell, while losing to Howe.  Lastly, At the world team trials in 2015 he lost 12-2 to Caldwell, who wasn’t even top 4 at the weight(Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Howe). 

Meanwhile Pico made the Olympic Trials Finals and beat our rep and eventual 5th place finisher 1 out of 3 with one of the other 2 being a 4-4 match. 

AV wasn’t REMOTELY close to making a world team, let alone an Olympic one......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

LOL at Pico being on Cejudo’s level in wrestling. Hilarious. Cejudo won an Olympic gold at 21 years old. Pico made the world team trials finals. This is like saying a state champ and a kid that almost qualified are on the same level. Not even close. 

Oversimplified.  I don’t mean to diminish an Olympic gold, but cejudo came out of nowhere and certainly benefitted from the Japanese Wrestlers one in a million upset of the late kudhokov.   Sometimes it’s as much about luck as being the best. I don’t know anyone who would say that cejudo or Jake Varner were better than Cary Kolat or Lincoln Mac.

Edited by Cradle1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to the subject of the thread, right now as it currently stands:

  1. Pico is an MMA Fighter with a Journeyman 4-3 record
  2. Pico has been knocked out 3 times in his brief MMA career. It appears he has a glass chin. 
  3. Pico has not wrestled competitively since when? 4 years ago? 

But Pico is good enough to win 65Kg or 70Kg right now!!!

Anyone want to buy that bridge over there? It's for sale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Oversimplified.  I don’t mean to diminish an Olympic gold, but cejudo came out of nowhere and certainly benefitted from the Japanese Wrestlers one in a million upset of the late kudhokov.   Sometimes it’s as much about luck as being the best. I don’t know anyone who would say that cejudo or Jake Varner were better than Cary Kolat or Lincoln Mac.

Would Kudhokov have been allowed to keep his gold with the finding of doping posthumously? Or would it not have affected the 2008 result?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MSU158 said:

AV has proven to be very solid at Free, but what he accomplished was way behind Pico.  First off, he did it in 2015, a non Olympic year. 2nd,  At the Open he took 3rd, but his best win was Caldwell, while losing to Howe.  Lastly, At the world team trials in 2015 he lost 12-2 to Caldwell, who wasn’t even top 4 at the weight(Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Howe). 

Meanwhile Pico made the Olympic Trials Finals and beat our rep and eventual 5th place finisher 1 out of 3 with one of the other 2 being a 4-4 match. 

AV wasn’t REMOTELY close to making a world team, let alone an Olympic one......

You sound like one of those guys who claims to have been a 1980 Olympian, and then when called out, explains why they would have been because of x, y, and z had they been able to.

It appears our disagreement comes from our differing views about who deserves credit. You seem to give people credit for what they could have done, and I believe you only deserve what you earned. 

Pico competed until he was 19 and never made it to the world championships. Cejudo won an Olympic gold at 21. Two completely different levels. Could Pico have won it if he stuck with it? Maybe, who knows. What I do know is you don’t get credit for “trajectories” in wrestling. The thing about them, is they never actually work out the way you think.  

Edited by SamStall365247

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

Fundamental flaw in your logic is saying he beat Zain was Zain was very much Zain. Zain in freestyle was much different than Zain in folk back then. The results prove this out. 

Zain had already won a cadet world gold (compared to Pico’s silver) and less than 12 months later he was the US world team rep at 65k. 

In their last match Zain scored more “freestyle” points than Pico. 2 step outa and 1 shot clock point compared to one 2 point turn for Pico. Pico took him down 3 times compared to 1 takedown for Zain. Again, Pico was 19 and not completely physically mature and he wasn’t even training freestyle full time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Pico and his team have attempted to put the cart before the horse at every stage of his sporting career.  It's a darn shame too, because a lot of talent is going down the tubes.  

 

 

True, and Pico fans are doing it again in this very thread. The poor guy is destined to be the guy who never ascends to the top, but could have if things had just played out differently. In other words and to steal from another sport, a playground legend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...