RJChicago

Thomas Gilman History

Hello all - I'm new to closely following International wrestling and I've quickly become obsessed. Anyway, I've heard a lot of references to Thomas Gilman - and controversies he has had, things he has said in the past that have gotten people riled up, etc. I had never even heard of Thomas Gilman until recently, so I didn't know any of this. I would be so appreciative if someone could quickly recap and/or post any of what all of this relates to. I had never even seen him speak until the Final X Lincoln Press Conference.

He's used racial slurs in the past, he's intentionally tried to injure people (Waters), he's acted like an ass on the mat, he's instigated crap with other wrestlers and other teams, and he says stupid and disrespectful things in interviews.  If you ask non-Iowa fans, the majority would probably tell you he's the biggest jerk in the sport right now.

33 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

If you ask non-Iowa fans, the majority would probably tell you he's the biggest jerk in the sport right now.

Give Iowa fans a little credit, ~half of them would also agree with that statement.

45 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

He's used racial slurs in the past, he's intentionally tried to injure people (Waters), he's acted like an ass on the mat, he's instigated crap with other wrestlers and other teams, and he says stupid and disrespectful things in interviews.  If you ask non-Iowa fans, the majority would probably tell you he's the biggest jerk in the sport right now.

Racial slurs? Are you referring to “the Jap” comment. I don’t think that was meant as a racial slur. If it was 1944, maybe, but I think it was more referring to the person’s place of origin. Only say this because saying because without context he is being painted to be a racist.

He was often chippy in college and would apparently succumb to emotions in close matches. I think he's matured since then.

I didn't see the "Jap" comment as a racial slur, but questioned how an educated person could think it was OK to say that in an interview. He's a Brands product, after all, so being an A-hole is encouraged. 

I was not a fan of him at all until his Senior International career took root. It's hard to not be a fan of such a tough competitor, even if I don't necessarily like his attitude on the side of the mat. 

I agree - yep. That said, I was born in Japan, although I am not Japanese. I also lived there as an adult for three years. On one occasion when I was out with my Japanese friends (in 1986) I used the term "Jap" and they were truly offended. It was the first time I was informed that the word is a "sensitive" reference. Suffice to say, the word didn't register as an offensive term to me (even thought my connections to Japan ran deep...for a white guy), but in deference to my friends (and Japanese in general), if it offended them then I was fine with not using the term going forward. I think the point here is that any word might be taken as offensive depending on the audience - even if the person using the word doesn't see it as such. The issue is, IMO, whether you care about the feelings of others - not how you yourself interpret the meaning.

Personally, I think folks should cut Gilman some slack on this issue - it was an experience that he seems to have learned from; he has said as much.

As for other Gilman issues....

Edited by npope

52 minutes ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

Using the word Jap is no different than the rest of the world using the slang "yank" to describe Americans. There are valid reasons to dislike Gilman... this isn't one of them

and the majority of Americans would be offended if called "yanks" so not sure what point you are trying to make?

Jesus guys, even if the term "Jap" is offensive to some, let's be honest here, Thomas Gilman is not the most sophisticated person much less the most up to date on what is and isn't politically correct.  So at worst it was an innocent mistake- clearly he used "Jap" as shorthand much like I might describe a wrestler from Great Britain as "the Brit".  

4 hours ago, Rocep said:

Racial slurs? Are you referring to “the Jap” comment. I don’t think that was meant as a racial slur. If it was 1944, maybe, but I think it was more referring to the person’s place of origin. Only say this because saying because without context he is being painted to be a racist.

In the US, that term is definitely derogatory. 

Whether or not someone knows it’s derogatory is a different story.  

IMO it would be sad if someone didn’t know. 

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

In the US, that term is definitely derogatory. 

Whether or not someone knows it’s derogatory is a different story.  

IMO it would be sad if someone didn’t know. 

Perhaps he's made being a world class athlete more of a priority than worrying about offending your delicate sensibilities?

27 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Perhaps he's made being a world class athlete more of a priority than worrying about offending your delicate sensibilities?

Hopefully you get banned for this post. But either way, welcome to my ignore list.

51 minutes ago, Katie said:

Hopefully you get banned for this post. But either way, welcome to my ignore list.

Perfect response, snowflake. It’s a tough blow, not being able to converse with you I’ve learned so much!  This post really defines who you the snowflakes are, in your mind I should be banned not for saying an indelicate remark myself, But apparently for not being outraged enough by the remark of another.   Your world is both pathetic and fascinating at the same time.

Edited by Cradle1