RJChicago

Thomas Gilman History

4 hours ago, ionel said:

and the majority of Americans would be offended if called "yanks" so not sure what point you are trying to make?

I actually dont know anyone that would be offended by yank. Also dated a girl from Japan for a good amount of time. I dont think she or any of her friends would have been offended by "Jap". Who are these people out getting offended all time?

17 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I actually dont know anyone that would be offended by yank. Also dated a girl from Japan for a good amount of time. I dont think she or any of her friends would have been offended by "Jap". Who are these people out getting offended all time?

The Japanese Ambassador to the UK said a few years ago, "most Japanese people find the word ‘J**’ offensive, irrespective of the circumstances in which it is used."

The term does not make me feel dehumanized and attacked personally. But at the same time, I think its sad that people either ignorantly or willfully use such language.

Edited by Katie

12 minutes ago, Katie said:

The Japanese Ambassador to the UK said a few years ago, "most Japanese people find the word ‘J**’ offensive, irrespective of the circumstances in which it is used."

Ok. So what should we do? Is calling Gilman a racist and assuming his intentions the right route to go? I honestly think the reason most of y'all like to tear down wrestlers so much is out of jealousy. This way you can paint someone in a bad light and take the moral high ground while ignoring that they have reached a level almost none of us have achieved.

Edited by russelscout

22 minutes ago, Katie said:

The term does not make me feel dehumanized and attacked personally. But at the same time, I think its sad that people either ignorantly or willfully use such language.

In this case, why is it sad? If there was no ill-intent, Gilman apologized for it, and pretty much no one was offended except for a few posters on here, how can you be sad about it? If anything, it was more of a learning experience than some horrible racial incident. Litterally nothing bad came from this. Why cant you let it go?

Edited by russelscout

24 minutes ago, tbert said:

For several years I remember seeing JAP abbreviation on the back of wrestling singlets... gymnastics, track and field...etc....  

I don't think the American athletes would be offended being called USAs but I suspect most would be confused by it.

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

In this case, why is it sad? If there was no ill-intent, Gilman apologized for it, and pretty much no one was offended except for a few posters on here. If anything, it was more of a learning experience than some horrible racial incident. Litterally nothing bad came from this. Soooooo why are is it sad? And why cant you let it go?

I don't believe I have commented on Gilman in particular at all.

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

I don't believe I have commented on Gilman in particular at all.

So when you said, "it would be sad if someone didnt know" you were talking about someone other than Thomas Gilman? Excuse me for thinking that's what this thread was about.

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

So when you said, "it would be sad if someone didnt know" you were talking about someone other than Thomas Gilman? Excuse me for thinking that's what this thread was about.

Just read a little more closely next time. You can do it.

Edited by Katie

12 minutes ago, Katie said:

I can read just fine. You seemed to have been in the wrong thread it appears. Especially if your comment was supposed to be not directed at Gilman in a thread with his name in the title. Tell me Katie, do you need help finding your way around here?

Edited by russelscout

7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I can read just fine. You seemed to have been in the wrong thread it appears. Especially if your comment was supposed to be not directed at Gilman in a thread with his name in the title. Tell me Katie, do you need help finding your way around here?

I never challenged your ability to read.

Just now, Katie said:

I never challenged your ability to read.

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

No you didnt. But you did imply that I wasn't doing it well enough to understand fully, to which I responded that I can read just fine. I didnt think this was hard to understand. 

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I think the term "Tojo" when referring to Japanese people is way worse than just saying Jap.  Mainly because you're referring to a period of history they'd like to forget about.  And also because it was featured along with "Jap" on propaganda posters during the war.  

I am not a fan of Gilman, and I think that the word "Jap" shouldn't be used  (clearly taken as offensive by many, probably most of the people it refers to), but I don't see this as any particular evidence of his being a bad guy. 

He did not seem to have any bad intent; my recollection of the tape was that he was using the term in a descriptive way, not as an intended slur -- and in fact to the extent that his statement was judgmental, he was admiring of the wrestler in question. 

It's not a term that is as well understood to be as offensive as some others we all have heard, as evidenced by some of the posts here, so it's believable he didn't know it was a problem. And I believe he apologized when informed that many find the term offensive.

Unlike other things mentioned near the top of this thread which I could have done without seeing from him, this one doesn't seem like he knew or definitely should have known better. 

Seems like a complicated guy, not my cup of tea, but I won't pile on him for that one.  He wrestled with a lot of heart and skill today, just got beat by a guy who was a little bit better.  

15 hours ago, ionel said:

and the majority of Americans would be offended if called "yanks" so not sure what point you are trying to make?

only if they were calling me a new york yankees fan.

11 hours ago, russelscout said:

Ok. So what should we do? Is calling Gilman a racist and assuming his intentions the right route to go? I honestly think the reason most of y'all like to tear down wrestlers so much is out of jealousy. This way you can paint someone in a bad light and take the moral high ground while ignoring that they have reached a level almost none of us have achieved.

i mean we assume intentions all the time when we referee these matches....

i kid i kid

get over yourselves.

Edited by GockeS

9 hours ago, russelscout said:

No you didnt. But you did imply that I wasn't doing it well enough to understand fully, to which I responded that I can read just fine. I didnt think this was hard to understand. 

the guy/gal who doesn't like racist implications, makes other implications about people all the time without realizing it.

it's sad that some people dont know that they are doing that.

I don’t get this thread.  Didn’t DeSanto’s antics force Gilman, and everyone else, off of page 1 of the biggest jerk rankings?  Gilman’s stuff is amateurish compared to AD.

I think everyone looking to call Gillerman a racist or insinuating that he is one based on his 'Jap' comment are being a bunch of frog-throated ninny-ponce. Butterfly toting, unicorn fluffballs, the lot of you. Nut up.

Get the eff over yourselves man. Gillerman is a grade a hothead who doesn't possess much conversational intellect when he gets emotional. He believes in the product he is selling so he is going to get emotional when people call that into question.

That doesn't mean he is an idiot or unintelligent or a racist. It is all about intent and the only mother trucker who can say he meant the 'Jap' remark to be a racial slur is Gillerman... has he not gone on record saying it wasn't meant that way?

The guy is trying to represent the U S of A and putting in the work to do it.

All you group if needle-stix want to do is degrade a comment that was INSENSITIVE(NOT RACIST) and play keyboard warrior.

1000/1000 times-none of you has the sac to strap em up and tell him that to his face.

Just now, nhs67 said:

1000/1000 times-none of you has the sac to strap em up and tell him that to his face.

I may have to edit that to 999/1000. PD2 may have the testicular fortitude the rest of you lack.

Sorry rjc, you had no idea what you were starting here. 

Getting back to Gilman, he’s another hammer in the Iowa history of lightweights although he never won an ncaa title. He made an incredible run from having to come from behind to win in a last chance qualifier, to rolling through trials and final x avenging losses along the way enroute to a world silver medal. 

Also, he gassed Ethan lizak from the bottom position. 

He is reportedly a pretty chill guy off the mat and around town but he has absolutely no chill or sense of humor whatsoever when it comes to his sport.  He has a super cringey, mean spirited, confrontational sense of humor and tends to say dumb stuff in interviews.  I'm speculating, but I think the issue is that he hasn't let go of the college wrestling mentality of "Iowa vs. Everyone".  I think he's aware of this perception, but it has become his schtick by now.  Yesterday Burroughs even took the piss out of him a little at the Final X presser imitating him: "My mom told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all....hahaha, love you, Thomas."

I agree that the "Jap" comment wasn't "racist", per se, but a super, super dumb thing to say while officially representing Team USA.  He needs to watch his lip a little bit while on the international stage vs. among domestic rivals who understand what he's like.  For all his defenders in this particular episode, would you go on the record in an interview while representing your employer and use what could be construed as ethnic slurs?  Yeah, didn't think so...

Edited by Konquest