RJChicago

Thomas Gilman History

On 6/15/2019 at 7:30 PM, Cradle1 said:

Jesus guys, even if the term "Jap" is offensive to some, let's be honest here, Thomas Gilman is not the most sophisticated person much less the most up to date on what is and isn't politically correct.  So at worst it was an innocent mistake- clearly he used "Jap" as shorthand much like I might describe a wrestler from Great Britain as "the Brit".  

Right. It’s a question of bad intentions as much as the use of the word. 

I commented on this before so will give my view again.

The term is offensive and (I think...) that's a pretty well known fact. I *suspect* Gilman knew that as he was a history major, and reportedly interested in the Korean War (link below). It's not a crazy reach to assume he at the very least took a class on WWII at some point for his degree in UI. Therefor you can make a good guess that he knew it was offensive. With that said, he apologized, and I don't think has said it again, so that can be that. 

Edit to add: Whether he (or you) care about not offending people...well that is irrelevant. Once you put on that Team USA singlet you represent your country and you better do it well and be a good ambassador. 

I do find a lot of his stuff cringey, but each to his own. I suspect he puts a ton of pressure on himself to be like T&T, probably not healthy.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2017/02/24/understanding-thomas-gilman-iowa-hawkeyes-tom-brands-terry-brands-ncaa-bigten/98343516/

Edited by pawrestler

On 6/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, Rocep said:

Racial slurs? Are you referring to “the Jap” comment. I don’t think that was meant as a racial slur. If it was 1944, maybe, but I think it was more referring to the person’s place of origin. Only say this because saying because without context he is being painted to be a racist.

I have lived in Japan for 14 years of my life.  JAP is NOT appropriate. Not sure why that concept is so difficult for you to understand.

2 hours ago, leshismore said:

I have lived in Japan for 14 years of my life.  JAP is NOT appropriate. Not sure why that concept is so difficult for you to understand.

This. Endthread.

Leave Gillerman alone, chumps.

Libtards the lot of yeh.

47 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This. Endthread.

Leave Gillerman alone, chumps.

Libtards the lot of yeh.

Anyone who uses the "tard" or "snowflake" has the intellect of jellyfish. 

It must be challenging being so insecure you need to purposely show your ignorance... and then be proud of it. 

1 hour ago, leshismore said:

It must be challenging being so insecure you need to purposely show your ignorance... and then be proud of it. 

You’ve carefully memorized all the most popular ideas and adopted them as your own! Congratulations on your original thinking!  It’s really important that nobody ever makes an innocent mistake and use a word that was often used in a derogatory sense 75 years ago when we we at war with a country that is now our friend!  Please all powerful liberal master, tell me what words I am and I am not allowed to say! I just want to be a good person like you!

Edited by Cradle1

2 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

You’ve carefully memorized all the most popular ideas and adopted them as your own! Congratulations on your original thinking!  It’s really important that nobody ever makes an innocent mistake and use a word that was often used in a derogatory sense 75 years ago when we we at war with a country that is now our friend!  Please all powerful liberal master, tell me what words I am and I am not allowed to say! I just want to be a good person like you!

Are you an adult or a child?  If you are an adult, you should know what to say and what not to... if you are a child, please go ask your parents.

Hey, we all know that Gillerman is not a mental giant... and yes, he did make a mistake.  And Cradle, you are free to say anything you wish BTW... It is your choice to show your simplicity and obtuseness.  Enlighten us with your favorite words you think are fine.  

2 minutes ago, leshismore said:

Are you an adult or a child?  If you are an adult, you should know what to say and what not to... if you are a child, please go ask your parents.

Hey, we all know that Gillerman is not a mental gnat... and yes, he did make a mistake.  And Cradle, you are free to say anything you wish BTW... It is your choice to show your simplicity and obtuseness.  Enlighten us with your favorite words you think are fine.  

If a slight adjustment is made then perhaps we can all come to agreement. 

4 hours ago, leshismore said:

Did you also know that Okie is a pejorative, but still you, yourself, have used it on this very board?

2 hours ago, leshismore said:

You're doing absolutely nothing besides proving my point.

On 6/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, tbert said:

For several years I remember seeing JAP abbreviation on the back of wrestling singlets... gymnastics, track and field...etc....  

Are you sure it wasn't JPN? That seems to be the "official" abbreviation.

Hey, we all know that Gillerman is not a mental giant... and yes, he did make a mistake.  And Cradle, you are free to say anything you wish BTW... It is your choice to show your simplicity and obtuseness.  Enlighten us with your favorite words you think are fine.  

Well sir, I personally believe in good manners and don't want to say anything offensive to anyone,   However, I don't feel the need to police the speech of others to show my own moral superiority. Moreover, I think we need to move past this "gotcha" culture where people are defined by their worst moment, especially if that moment is something they said.  Is that too simplistic, obtuse, or child-like for you?

We can all agree that Gilman isn't looking to crack cold fusion anytime soon.  He's not my cup of tea, but on the other hand, at least he's original you gotta give him that. 

Edited by Cradle1

1 minute ago, Cradle1 said:

Well sir, I personally believe in good manners and don't want to say anything offensive to anyone,   However, I don't feel the need to police the speech of others to show my own moral superiority. Moreover, I think we need to move past this "gotcha" culture where people are defined by their worst moment, especially if that moment is something they said.  Is that too simplistic, obtuse, or child-like for you?

Gotcha.  Sound about right to me. :-)

Wow, thank you for educating me.  I never knew Okie was a derogatory term.  I now know. I am sorry it offended you.  I won't use it again.

See how easy that was :-))))

Looks like exactly what happened to Gilman, and exactly how he handled it.  Only presumably nobody will still be talking about it a year later as something that defines you lol.

25 minutes ago, leshismore said:

Dripping with insecurity.  Must be painful for ya. :-)

Ever so much, I suppose.

You're the one exhibiting instabilities and insecurities here, though.  Not me.  You can't seem to keep your mouth shut long enough to understand this, though.  You really should read the entire thread again to see how much of an idiot you appear to be.

Gilman can be cringe worthy.  I was in Stillwater when the incident happened.  He's not very popular down in this part of the country.  I like the way he competes, and appreciate how he has laser beam focus.  He is a world medalist, and as tough as they come.  If he made the world team, I would have pulled for him. 

Daton Fix, besides being at least equal to Gillman as a competitor, also comes with the added features of being an extremely humble and positive young man.  That's not important to everyone, but I sure enjoy it.  I would say that Daton and Gable have to be the best two freshman in this year's NCAA tournament.  In freestyle, Daton takes a slight lead over Gable by making a Sr Level Team first.  Gilman tried to win some kind of mental game in the press and Daton stayed above that level and stayed focused on the job at hand.  

I'm just glad none of our guys takes a knee during the anthem.