Metcalf, Ramos, Stieber, etc., etc.,...

Metcalf lost to a 32 year old Frayer in 2012. Tough to see these amazing athletes won't try for 2020.

Look at 65 kg. We need a few older guys to stay in it.

Is it a money problem or something else?

1 hour ago, 2050 said:

Metcalf lost to a 32 year old Frayer in 2012. Tough to see these amazing athletes won't try for 2020.

Look at 65 kg. We need a few older guys to stay in it.

Is it a money problem or something else?

Why would we need more guys like Ramos and Metcalf to stick with it past their primes? They proved they could win a trials tournament but never got it done at worlds.

Also Metcalf said the biggest reason for his retirement was weight related. Guy was almost 30 and wrestling at a lower weight class than he wrestled at in high school...and the next Olympic weight was 22lbs up and occupied by Burroughs.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, GockeS said:

whats wrong with zain or yanni?

Nothing. Cejudo won even younger. Great! Are their legs that fresh?

Zadick won 65(66) worlds later in his career and Frayer won trials late in his career.

Stieber, Ramos and Metcalf  done?

2020?!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, MDogg said:

Why would we need more guys like Ramos and Metcalf to stick with it past their primes? They proved they could win a trials tournament but never got it done at worlds.

Also Metcalf said the biggest reason for his retirement was weight related. Guy was almost 30 and wrestling at a lower weight class than he wrestled at in high school...and the next Olympic weight was 22lbs up and occupied by Burroughs.

Ramos is probably past his prime in the lower weight. That is a tough country right there looking at Tony Ramos.

Metcalf is slightly different. 2020 at that weight is slightly different. The weight thing is different for that amount of time with what is out there nutrition wise. He could hit the right formula for 2020 at that weight....Guess its over. Certainly its over if we look at nutrition and Burroughs and Metcalf and wins and losses. lol.

Hard to wrestle forever both for financial and physical reasons

Don't forget the mental tolll as well. Traveling, dieting, training, relationships, etc can take a lot out of a wrestler.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 6/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, 2050 said:

Gilman.  Lost to Fix who's a freshman in college and only going to get better.  Might qualify at a non-olympic weight for worlds next year, but then he's history

Really interested to see what happens after 2020. The recent trend has been the young, college guys challenging the more established guys. But will Fix, Spencer, Yianni, Nolf, IMAR, Ringer, Dake, DT, Jden and Snyder all stay around til 2024 and hold off the younger crowd? 

1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Really interested to see what happens after 2020. The recent trend has been the young, college guys challenging the more established guys. But will Fix, Spencer, Yianni, Nolf, IMAR, Ringer, Dake, DT, Jden and Snyder all stay around til 2024 and hold off the younger crowd? 

Aren't around half of those names actually part of the younger crowd?

I mean, Spencer hasn't even wrestled a Senior level match yet, has he?  I expect a few of these guys to wrestle through 2028, and if IIRC, Snyder has said he'd like to continue as long as he possibly can.

That said, senior freestyle is so much more competitive now domestically than even 10 years ago, and maybe ever, and that will likely shorten some careers.  For example, I'd be surprised if Zain is interested in being our #2/#3 guy for an extended period (not that he necessarily will, but it's a possibility), and he'll have his pick of coaching opportunities the moment he retires.

Edited by whaletail
spelling error

9 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Some of these guys will just take up coaching if they can't consistently make world teams or face a rash of injury before 2024. They are all young enough to stay in the game until then.

10 hours ago, whaletail said:

Aren't around half of those names actually part of the younger crowd?

Yeah that’s kind of my point. Will the younger guys now, who are all around 19-20, control the weights when they’re between 22-26? And then will the older, upper weight guys hang around for another cycle? 

There comes a time when the athlete moves on. Some guys stay too long. Unless the wrestler can legitimately contend for a World or Olympic spot, it doesn’t pay to stick around. 

It was weird when I finally retired and never again had to focus on making weight. I liked that. But now, 40+ years after stopping, the doctor has me checking my weight again. Cholesterol, glucose, and pounds, are the competitors that currently  keep me focused.

Edited by gowrestle

65kg is interesting in many ways.

And the longevity at even lower weights is difficult to understand sometimes, also (Hazewinkel.)

If I were ever involved in wrestling again I would certainly focus on the health we're building. But on that note, the nutritional component for Burroughs, Dake, Taylor is different that the nutritional component Metcalf needed at 65 kg. That makes 65 kg really interesting.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:55 AM, 2050 said:

65kg is interesting in many ways.

And the longevity at even lower weights is difficult to understand sometimes, also (Hazewinkel.)

If I were ever involved in wrestling again I would certainly focus on the health we're building. But on that note, the nutritional component for Burroughs, Dake, Taylor is different that the nutritional component Metcalf needed at 65 kg. That makes 65 kg really interesting.

Good points. Regarding Hazewinkel, I think I read somewhere last year that he was following a different training plan than the rest of the Greco team since he was 35. I'm guessing that his regimen focused more on technique, mental aspects, and keeping his body healthy as opposed to conditioning and hard drilling or live.