qc8223

Steveson in trouble

57 minutes ago, Katie said:

At this point almost nothing is publicly known. So there’s nothing to say right now.

Agreed.

Just as Crash said above - 'innocent until proven guilty'. It's not just a commonly used phrase, it's our way of law.

As facts come in, we'll be able to begin an intelligent conversation. 

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Agreed.

Just as Crash said above - 'innocent until proven guilty'. It's not just a commonly used phrase, it's our way of law.

As facts come in, we'll be able to begin an intelligent conversation. 

That is in law, not in the court of public opinion. You’re basically guilty until proven innocent with the public. 

3 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

That is in law, not in the court of public opinion. You’re basically guilty until proven innocent with the public. 

And even then you're still guilty. This will hang around his neck forever regardless,  

4 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Hard to "make a buck" on a college athlete in a sport that doesn't bring in serious money. I highly doubt that's what's going on.

seriously why are you out to insist on guilt. everyone is assuming it, the consensus is on the way, but you're pissed anyone is waiting on the facts.

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

seriously why are you out to insist on guilt. everyone is assuming it, the consensus is on the way, but you're pissed anyone is waiting on the facts.

It's okay to wait for facts...but why assume 'it's someone looking to make a buck' when that basically never happens and it makes no sense anyhow? 

There are also people here assuming it just didn't happen

Sense you are forcing me to say this, many famous rape allegations turned out to be completely false. I don't know how Duke Lacrosse stacks up to Minny Wrestling....

Again I don't know anything about the case but we are gonna know if he is likely guilty very soon, and people run much harder with the guilty football than they do with the "actually they didn't do it" football.

6 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Sense you are forcing me to say this, many famous rape allegations turned out to be completely false. I don't know how Duke Lacrosse stacks up to Minny Wrestling....

Again I don't know anything about the case but we are gonna know if he is likely guilty very soon, and people run much harder with the guilty football than they do with the "actually they didn't do it" football.

Even if he is acquitted in a court of law, he might still be done wrestling at Minnesota.  The burden of proof for Title IX investigations at Minnesota is preponderance of evidence, not reasonable doubt. Who knows what charges end up being filed, but he was arrested and not just sought for questioning, meaning the police believe probable cause exists.  The fact that the actual police are involved and not just a kangaroo court Title IX investigation (which is most of these cases) makes this an especially serious situation.  

See the following:

https://communitystandards.umn.edu/title-ix-process

14 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

This is comical. I have not insisted on guilt at any point, nor have I been pissed at anybody waiting for the facts. I clearly said that he either committed some sort of sexual crime that he is suspected of or he didn't and we will find out as this situation plays out. I did point out that speculating somebody was "trying to make a buck" didn't make any sense because I don't think Gable has any real money that could be extracted as a 19 year old amateur athlete in a low money sport. That's not insisting his guilt. That's shooting down a baseless conspiracy theory. I don't think anybody on here has insisted on guilt, though maybe most of us aren't as eager to brush it off as you seem to be.

Everything I've said has been completely neutral. I've said he's suspected of a crime. He is. I've said that even if he isn't convicted, there's a strong chance he's done at Minnesota due to the optics and the current climate surrounding this issue. That's certainly true. I said that it's unlikely that somebody is trying to extort money from him because I don't think an amateur athlete in a low money sport has much money to extort. I think that's solid skepticism of an internet conspiracy theory.

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think you're overcompensating here. I don't think anybody has insisted his guilt. Everything I've seen, including myself, has called for the wait and see approach you claim to be calling for. You're preaching to the choir bud. Also, yes, Duke Lacrosse was a terrible situation, but it's the exception, not the norm. Statistically, rapes are misreported at the same levels as any other crime. There's not some vast female conspiracy here. We should have the same approach towards this as if he was accused of any other crime. We shouldn't become over defensive of him because there was a famous misreported rape case 10 years ago. That's completely illogical.

Just now, hammerlockthree said:

Whatever, i'll also  shout down the next guy who says to wait on the evidence.

Can you point to where I shouted you, or anybody, down for waiting on evidence, which happens to be my personal stance on the issue? Why are you so defensive?

3 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

I’ve got a bad feeling. If he’s been detained this long I am thinking it’s something possibly deplorable. 

As somebody not familiar with the legal system..I'm assuming he is not actually answering their questions since his lawyer has already provided a comment to the media.  So shouldn't he either be released or have charges filed? Can they hold him overnight even if he isn't charged or does this mean charges are definitely coming soon?

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

As somebody not familiar with the legal system..I'm assuming he is not actually answering their questions since his lawyer has already provided a comment to the media.  So shouldn't he either be released or have charges filed? Can they hold him overnight even if he isn't charged?

I believe the news story said he was detained Saturday night

7 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

well; as long as he can still wrestle freestyle is all that matters, worked out for downey. 

could be the best thing for his career to stop practicing for hours trying to ride someone and focus on freestyle. 

I’d rather our country representative not be an accused sexual abuser 

“Possible sexual assault with a object”? Sounds like hazing with some kind of broom handle. I have seen that hazing among the athletes way back in 80s and still does today.

It could be an athlete being reamed for hazing purposes. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case.

“It’s possible that if a county attorney reviews this, that they won’t charge. Simply because there’s been an arrest made does not mean that there’s going to be a charge,” said Christa Groshek, the attorney representing the 19-year-old in the case.

She said her client cooperated with law enforcement and will continue to do so.

“I can tell you first and foremost that he denies any wrongdoing, that both he and his family are shocked by any kind of allegation of criminal misconduct,” Groshek said. “I really caution anyone, including the media, from rushing to judgment.”

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/06/16/university-of-minnesota-gophers-student-athletes/

Something else to consider:  Eggum was present during the Xanax scandal as an assistant coach.  I wonder if the AD will decide to wipe the entire program clean and find new leadership if this ends up being a very serious charge.