Housebuye

Downey vs. Yazdani

Honestly? Downey could make a run on tenacity alone.

I don't think he beats Yaz or any of the top 3-4 Rooskies though.

That being said it looks like Yaz and Russia may be on the bottom half of the bracket.

I could see Downey beating Erdin. Erdin is a grinder, but I don't know if anyone can get-tough him unless he just mails it in and gives up.

I don't think he gives up. My case of Budweiser has been cracked open and I'm toting my American flag bandana and aviator sunglasses.

U S A U S A U S A

Oh. He meets Yaz? It's not even close. Quick pin or tech.

Edited by nhs67

3 minutes ago, BTC said:

Hot taek. Downey medals. Will be much improved come world's. 

Hopefully you're right, it's just hard to gauge where he is given the field at 86kg.  Not to mention he nearly dropped multiple matches to guys that are a pretty far shout from being ranked internationally at the moment.  

Although considering he didn't even place at Cerro Pelado in February, perhaps he is making big jumps, which is what it's going to take.  Spending some time training with J'Den Cox and KJ can only help as well.  We'll get two solid measuring sticks at Yasar Dogu and Pan Am's, where he should see ranked opponents--to my knowledge he's never beaten a ranked opponent at the senior level.  

6 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Hopefully you're right, it's just hard to gauge where he is given the field at 86kg.  Not to mention he nearly dropped multiple matches to guys that are a pretty far shout from being ranked internationally at the moment.  

Although considering he didn't even place at Cerro Pelado in February, perhaps he is making big jumps, which is what it's going to take.  Spending some time training with J'Den Cox and KJ can only help as well.  We'll get two solid measuring sticks at Yasar Dogu and Pan Am's, where he should see ranked opponents--to my knowledge he's never beaten a ranked opponent at the senior level.  

Not to mention training with whoever else at the OTC. It would've been that much better if the dake/ringer situation never happened. Rolling with either of those guys would've been a huge boost. I just feel a placement is in reach with his newfound attitude, training with studs and with the phenomenon of Americans doing well in their first go.

44 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

That won't work.  Iranians will wrestle Jewish people.

They will not wrestle Israelis.

Didn't the kid from Brown, who was Jewish, get a forfeit at Junior Worlds? Or was he wrestling for Israel.

Answer to my own question. He wrestled for Israel. https://brownbears.com/news/2013/8/21/8_21_2013_5594.aspx. Interesting that he is from Allen TX, same hometown as Bo Nickal

Edited by NJDan

Also interesting is that Yazdani dominates with his underhook and Downey likes to wrestle from that overhook, so it looks like strength on strength with a big advantage to Yazdani. He would need to catch him with a big throw.  I can't see him winning this match on points. Yazdani has broken pretty much anybody not named David Taylor with his pace for the last 3 years.

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Here is a rather pessimistic way to look at it, Yazdani is the one guy on earth who is so skilled that Taylor really has to wear him out to beat him....whats downey gonna do, he ain't outwrestling him, and he ain't gonna make him tired either.

He can get him in an upper body situation and either throw or overpower him. Yaz is not big for the weight. It was impressive to Downey overpower Heflin.