Housebuye

Downey vs. Yazdani

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Didn't the kid from Brown, who was Jewish, get a forfeit at Junior Worlds? Or was he wrestling for Israel.

Answer to my own question. He wrestled for Israel. https://brownbears.com/news/2013/8/21/8_21_2013_5594.aspx. Interesting that he is from Allen TX, same hometown as Bo Nickal

Pretty sure Bo isn't originally from Allen, it tends to be a destination for a lot of young elite athletes due to the school. 

9 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Also interesting is that Yazdani dominates with his underhook and Downey likes to wrestle from that overhook, so it looks like strength on strength with a big advantage to Yazdani. He would need to catch him with a big throw.  I can't see him winning this match on points. Yazdani has broken pretty much anybody not named David Taylor with his pace for the last 3 years.

This is why I asked. Stylistically Yaz will go to Downey’s best position. 

I don’t think it matters as Yaz is the best in the world from the underhook, but it’s still interesting 

I don’t know that PD3 will medal, but I do believe he will represent and make us at the minimum proud of his effort.  I do not believe that he has peaked and there seems to be real momentum working with Reece and the NJRTC.  

Could be an advantage of not having to wrestle Dake/Ringer because they might impact his confidence and slow his progression.  I think the current situation is perfect for him and I am certain they will get him the looks he needs for training. 

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

2nd best, did you forget we have a guy that’s beaten the few times they’ve wrestled 

Come on. Comparing Yazdani to Taylor is insulting. Yazdani is an Olympic champ, world champ and three-time world medalist. Taylor is a one-time world team member. Yes, Taylor beat Yazdani, but Yazdani's resume is far superior to Taylor's resume. It's like saying Rulon is better than Karelin because he beat him. 

I agree, Hammerlock. Haywood is delusional to put Taylor on Yazdani's level. American fans overrate Taylor because he won an NCAA title or two. Like that means something on the world stage. Yazdani is one of the top five pound-for-pound wrestlers in the world. Taylor made one world team, but comparing him to a four-time world/Olympic medalist is embarrassing. I am looking forward to Cox-Yazdani in 2020. Not sure Cox can beat him, but will be interesting.

Edited by MagnetBack

On 6/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I don't think he beats guys like Makoev and Torreblanca, much less Yazdani.  

Makoev is terrible.  Downey Should beat him handily,  but almost no chance he beats the Iranian, the Russian, the Cuban, or the Turk imo. 

8 hours ago, MagnetBack said:

Come on. Comparing Yazdani to Taylor is insulting. Yazdani is an Olympic champ, world champ and three-time world medalist. Taylor is a one-time world team member. Yes, Taylor beat Yazdani, but Yazdani's resume is far superior to Taylor's resume. It's like saying Rulon is better than Karelin because he beat him. 

Did you watch the match they had at worlds last year, Taylor dominated him. First match of the tournament so no excuses of a tough match previously, then Yaz destroyed everyone in repacharge. In fairness it was Taylor’s first team but he was behind world and Olympic medalist. Yaz does have a better trophy case but a Taylor was certainly better the last time they wrestled. 

I agree, Hammerlock. Haywood is delusional to put Taylor on Yazdani's level. American fans overrate Taylor because he won an NCAA title or two. Like that means something on the world stage. Yazdani is one of the top five pound-for-pound wrestlers in the world. Taylor made one world team, but comparing him to a four-time world/Olympic medalist is embarrassing. I am looking forward to Cox-Yazdani in 2020. Not sure Cox can beat him, but will be interesting.

He may very well be which makes Taylor’s dominance over him that much more Impressive, Taylor had a top 2-3 performance at last years worlds. 

Are you Iranian by chance? It’s the only thing that makes sense 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Did you watch the match they had at worlds last year, Taylor dominated him. First match of the tournament so no excuses of a tough match previously, then Yaz destroyed everyone in repacharge. In fairness it was Taylor’s first team but he was behind world and Olympic medalist. Yaz does have a better trophy case but a Taylor was certainly better the last time they wrestled. 

The time before that too. 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I know but some say some aren’t at peak for the World Cup so I didn't use that as an example. I just don’t get it these aren’t hypothetical matchups this match has happened and the results are not debatable. 

Taylor put Yazdani to his back in front of his home crowd. That is the last thing in the world anyone expected or Yazdani wanted to happen. No one else in the world has done that to him, so what Taylor did there is extremely impressive. That was no touch fall. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Taylor put Yazdani to his back in front of his home crowd. That is the last thing in the world anyone expected or Yazdani wanted to happen. No one else in the world has done that to him, so what Taylor did there is extremely impressive. That was no touch fall. 

You’re preaching to the choir 

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Makoev is tough...  I don't think anyone should expect to beat him "handily"

Google his results. Other than his Cinderella run at worlds in 2017 this guy couldn’t bribe a Russian Official for a senior level win.

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Are you Iranian by chance? It’s the only thing that makes sense 

He's trolling you. It's not really subjective. Yaz has had the better career, but at least prior to his injury, Taylor was the better wrestler at 86 kg.