okwrestle

Fix oly redhirt?

23 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Here's interesting question, is it obvious that olympic redshirts help you win the olympics?

Before the RTC situation our guys very often performed better right out of college compared to themselves with a few years of training free...

When I think of guys in this era who won worlds while in college or right after, off the top of my head I get Smith, Snyder, Burroughs, Brands, Brands......am I missing some?

And off the top of my head, and not a long list at that, but I can't think of a single guy who took an olympic redshirt and won the olympics....what am I missing?

Fix knows how to wrestle, obviously you can always learn, but he be better off staying sharp in the context of a college season than devoting himself wholly to free. 

(though given the fact that he is going to worlds now he may need that redshirt just to take a break)

The list of college wrestlers who won Olympic gold is way too short to extrapolate whether an Olympic redshirt is a helpful tool based on that criterium. I think at most he should do Snyder’s modified ncaa  schedule. 

Thats an idea, and I didn't realize how close the trials are to NCAAs thats ridiculous. 

But regardless its pretty interesting that I can't think of anyone who ever took an olympic redshirt and won. Frankly I am racking my brain to think of anyone who made the team...letalone medaled. 

The list of people who made the US freestyle Olympic team while still having college eligibility (and being enrolled in a college) in itself is quite small - redshirt or otherwise.   Synder, Cox, John Smith.  All I can think of...

Edited by Gantry

3 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Thats an idea, and I didn't realize how close the trials are to NCAAs thats ridiculous. 

But regardless its pretty interesting that I can't think of anyone who ever took an olympic redshirt and won. Frankly I am racking my brain to think of anyone who made the team...letalone medaled. 

Well, the Olympics start on July 24 so they need to get the team set.

5 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

When did the Olympic redshirt start? Howe lost to Burroughs I believe during his ORS - Dom Bradley was close....but I think you may be correct in that those who have taken it have not benefited from it by making a team....however, I also don't believe they actually lost to someone who was currently still NCAA eligible. Not necessarily a loss of time so to speak - Graff took an Olympic RS and here we are 7 years later. 

5 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Stephen Abas is one who did both, I believe. Not right after the redshirt, if I recall correctly. 

55 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Stephen Abas is one who did both, I believe. Not right after the redshirt, if I recall correctly. 

Your saying Abas redshirted in olympic redshirted in 2000 and eventually(2004) made the team right?

So we still can't think of an redshirt who ever even made the team?

25 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Your saying Abas redshirted in olympic redshirted in 2000 and eventually(2004) made the team right?

So we still can't think of an redshirt who ever even made the team?

Pretty certain John Smith redshirted & won Worlds.  Does it matter that it was a regular & not Olympic redshirt (dont think had those then) and that he only won gold at the World Championship not Olympic (got that the next year & another after a few more world golds). Oh and pretty sure he beat an Oympic gold to make the team that RS year.  If true does that answer the "can't think of" question?

18 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Barry Davis was a 2 time NCAA champ after the '83 season. He then took a RS and competed at the '84 Olympics winning a silver. Came back to get his 3rd NCAA title in '85. 

Did he visit the local Hy-Vee before or after the Olympics?

16 hours ago, Gantry said:

The list of people who made the US freestyle Olympic team while still having college eligibility (and being enrolled in a college) in itself is quite small - redshirt or otherwise.   Synder, Cox, John Smith.  All I can think of...

a few more from the 70's and 80's (other than the aforementioned John Smith & Barry Davis) to add to the list of those making USA's Oly  freestyle team with NCAA eligibility remaining:

1972: Jimmy Carr

1976: Bill Rosado, Jim Haines, Jimmy Jackson

1980: Bobby Weaver, Gene Mills (redshirt year) , Randy Lewis

1988: Ken Chertow 

Here's the 1981 EIWA finals bout between Weaver and Mills

Edited by gromit

13 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

No it doesn't.

Smith Won worlds after his junior year, that was after his college season. 

No redshirt has ever made the olympic team. I was surprised.

Well ok, but Smith did win the US Open that year, had success in freestyle including beating the Russian in the Goodwill games, correct?  So while he didn't make the Olympic team same year as redshirt think we'd have to say the redshirt certainly helped him in freestyle and winning World and Olympic golds the next two years.  Don't recall why he didn't make World team that year, chose not to participate or something else?

On 6/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, Red95 said:

I think the biggest issue is that Olympic Trials are April 4-5 2020 and NCAA championships are March 19-21. That is only a few weeks of separation. I would imagine anyone serious about the olympics would want to be 100% focused on that goal, peaking for the right time, avoiding injuries, etc. - hard to do with conference qualifiers and NCAA tourney just a few weeks beforehand in a different style.

Wow! I thought that April 2020 tournament was a last chance qualifier but you are totally right, it's the OTTs. So yah, super tight scheduling. 

It gets even more complicated for weights that the US doesn't qualify for the Olympics after this year's Worlds since all the qualifying tournaments are in the March-early April timeframe, with the exception of the final qualifier.