okwrestle

Fix oly redhirt?

I think he should and probably will.  They're not going to be challenging for a title next year regardless of what he does, so I don't see the pressure for him to compete from that perspective.  Their Class of 2020 is their crown class, and if they land Ferrari (or Amos) it'll be one of the better recruiting classes we've seen in recent years.  Having a couple of years of overlap with Fix in the lineup with that group is probably their best path back to a title.  

Here's interesting question, is it obvious that olympic redshirts help you win the olympics?

Before the RTC situation our guys very often performed better right out of college compared to themselves with a few years of training free...

When I think of guys in this era who won worlds while in college or right after, off the top of my head I get Smith, Snyder, Burroughs, Brands, Brands......am I missing some?

And off the top of my head, and not a long list at that, but I can't think of a single guy who took an olympic redshirt and won the olympics....what am I missing?

Fix knows how to wrestle, obviously you can always learn, but he be better off staying sharp in the context of a college season than devoting himself wholly to free. 

(though given the fact that he is going to worlds now he may need that redshirt just to take a break)

Edited by hammerlockthree

21 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Here's interesting question, is it obvious that olympic redshirts help you win the olympics?

Before the RTC situation our guys very often performed better right out of college compared to themselves with a few years of training free...

When I think of guys in this era who won worlds while in college or right after, off the top of my head I get Smith, Snyder, Burroughs, Brands, Brands......am I missing some?

And off the top of my head, and not a long list at that, but I can't think of a single guy who took an olympic redshirt and won the olympics....what am I missing?

Fix knows how to wrestle, obviously you can always learn, but he be better off staying sharp in the context of a college season than devoting himself wholly to free. 

(though given the fact that he is going to worlds now he may need that redshirt just to take a break)

I don't know about performance on the mat, but it seems that having a respite from school would help an athlete stay focused on training, esp since college wrestling spans 2 semesters or up to 3 quarters. That, and maybe not being tethered to the college wrestling's weight cutting rules (certification, percentages, etc.) and being able to manage the cut their own way might help. 

1 hour ago, okwrestle said:

So now that Fix has made the world team do you think he'll take an oly red shirt for 2019-2020?

If so do you see Okie State dropping Brock back to 133,  Gfeller to 141, and lewallen 149 ?

OSU won't lose much by dropping Brock, assuming he's willing to go back to 133. He's just an R12 guy at 141, but at 133 he's a top 5 guy. Not that the Cowboys are a huge threat to PSU anyway. The question I have is this: if Fix wins the World Title will he bother coming back to OSU?

1 hour ago, Dr. Novak said:

With only 6 weights why are the Olympics even important?  World competition is far superior.

So guys like Dake, Cox, Green and Graff won't go up or down a weight to challenge for a spot on the Olympic team? Seems to me with world champs at non-olympic weights having to move up or down,  it will make the  OTT much more competitive to even make the team. 

4 hours ago, okwrestle said:

So now that Fix has made the world team do you think he'll take an oly red shirt for 2019-2020?

If so do you see Okie State dropping Brock back to 133,  Gfeller to 141, and lewallen 149 ?

I think at this point there's got to be concern that Lewallen's shoulder will never be right again.

5 hours ago, okwrestle said:

FYI--I was reprimanded for using the word "Okie" today.  I was told it is totally offensive and a derogatory term.  Who new.

So Okie must now be stricken from the English language.  Sounds doubleplusgood to me.  

Hopefully we continue banning language and culture to a point where only grunts are allowed audibly, and any recollection of our past is a crime.

Wouldn't it be swell? <Insert made up offensive retort, because, reasons>

12 hours ago, leshismore said:

FYI--I was reprimanded for using the word "Okie" today.  I was told it is totally offensive and a derogatory term.  Who new.

Someone decided to apply the obscure meaning nobody knows about from long ago (a migrant worker forced out) despite the fact you clearly used it in the general context of a person native to Oklahoma which is the most common definition. 

43 minutes ago, fiveontwo said:

im offended by the term sooner.  because im always late.  so it shows preference and makes me feel bad

Back in the 70s there was an event at the Nassau Coliseum. Florida, Hofstra, Lehigh and Oklahoma. For some reason Oklahoma was delayed getting there. When they got there I yelled out- Better late than Sooner. They didn't like that!

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Someone decided to apply the obscure meaning nobody knows about from long ago (a migrant worker forced out) despite the fact you clearly used it in the general context of a person native to Oklahoma which is the most common definition. 

Nah. He was reprimanded for being a ponce. It actually had nothing to do with the person actually believing Okie was derogatory.

He just doesn't have the testicular fortitude to admit he's a tool.

20 hours ago, pamela said:

I don't know about performance on the mat, but it seems that having a respite from school would help an athlete stay focused on training, esp since college wrestling spans 2 semesters or up to 3 quarters. That, and maybe not being tethered to the college wrestling's weight cutting rules (certification, percentages, etc.) and being able to manage the cut their own way might help. 

I think the biggest issue is that Olympic Trials are April 4-5 2020 and NCAA championships are March 19-21. That is only a few weeks of separation. I would imagine anyone serious about the olympics would want to be 100% focused on that goal, peaking for the right time, avoiding injuries, etc. - hard to do with conference qualifiers and NCAA tourney just a few weeks beforehand in a different style.

22 minutes ago, Red95 said:

I think the biggest issue is that Olympic Trials are April 4-5 2020 and NCAA championships are March 19-21. That is only a few weeks of separation. I would imagine anyone serious about the olympics would want to be 100% focused on that goal, peaking for the right time, avoiding injuries, etc. - hard to do with conference qualifiers and NCAA tourney just a few weeks beforehand in a different style.

and the additional weight cut 

20 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

With only 6 weights why are the Olympics even important?  World competition is far superior.

You must be a PhD and not a real doctor.  Because you ain’t real bright. 6 weights means stiffer competition.   Nowhere to hide.   Learn maths.