VakAttack

In terms of actual on the mat scoring calls

On 6/19/2019 at 5:05 AM, Rakkasan91 said:

It was called a correct hold.  The correct throw is still on the books.  The correct hold was in the rules in 2015 and then quickly removed.

"1 point-To the wrestler who applies a correct hold while standing on the mat or in the "parterre" position with three points of contact but who does not secure control by passing behind in FS wrestling."

It took me a few reads to realize what you're talking about but you're absolutely correct. Everyone called it the "almost takedown" in common parlance, like how the activity period is usually referred to as the "shot clock."

On 6/18/2019 at 12:01 AM, drag it said:

I wonder if this is why 2 was called and why it was upheld. Conversely, I wonder if they would have awarded 2 if Gilman had held the right foot continuously.  I suspect the answers to those two questions are yes and no.

Since the dust has settled, I've come to believe that some USA Wrestling higher-up in the challenge jury decided to uphold the takedown to avoid the appearance of another Yianni/Zain situation. In Gilman/Fix, the officiating crew followed three-man-mechanics properly, the IOWA staff threw the brick relatively quickly after the points went up, and the call was correct, but they denied the challenge because upholding it would have changed the winner with little to no time for the second week in a row.