Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Should I-Mar leave Illinois

Loyalty is a good quality, but does I-Mar have the training partners or the coaching at Illinois that can get him over the hump? Would he be better off at NJRTC, NYRTC or Oklahoma RTC, to name a few places where he does not have an obvious rival in place?

I think he's fine.  He did beat JB and smash the rest of the field at WTT.  So he's improving.  

Having said that, if I had to pick another club for him I'd pick NLWC with Cael and crew.  They are already training a few foreign guys to beat JB.

19 minutes ago, misterc said:

I think he's fine.  He did beat JB and smash the rest of the field at WTT.  So he's improving.  

Having said that, if I had to pick another club for him I'd pick NLWC with Cael and crew.  They are already training a few foreign guys to beat JB.

Yep. If he is going to move he should go to NLWC for sure. Loads of talent in and around his 74Kg. 

It's not a ridiculous question, but he's just had the best year of his freestyle career.  He's closer to JB now than he's ever been, and has made very obvious improvements over the past year.  From hearing his interviews, it sounds like he's happy with his training and the support system he has in place.

With that in mind, I wouldn't think now is the time to uproot and radically change his life and training situation less than a year away from Olympic trials, but rather to tweak what's already working and supplement his training with whatever he thinks he needs to get over the JB hurdle.  

And I don't see how NLWC is at all a possibility--he's not going to go train with one of his chief rivals for the 2020 spot.  Feels like spending some time at Wildcat WC with Deakin and Howe would be a more natural fit.  

16 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

And I don't see how NLWC is at all a possibility--he's not going to go train with one of his chief rivals for the 2020 spot.  Feels like spending some time at Wildcat WC with Deakin and Howe would be a more natural fit.  

I think he'd improve at NLWC, but your point is valid and I doubt it would ever happen.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Loyalty is a good quality, but does I-Mar have the training partners or the coaching at Illinois that can get him over the hump? Would he be better off at NJRTC, NYRTC or Oklahoma RTC, to name a few places where he does not have an obvious rival in place?

Anyone who can't consistently (first 2 out of 3) beat a multi World and Olympic champion should move to a new TC and clearly Sunkist & NWTC are the only place to be.  ;_;

24 minutes ago, ionel said:

Anyone who can't consistently (first 2 out of 3) beat a multi World and Olympic champion should move to a new TC and clearly Sunkist & NWTC are the only place to be.  ;_;

No. Most people would have no chance against JB no matter where they trained. But I-Mar is not most people. The question would be whether a move to another club with better traininbg partners would give him the little boost he needs.

After seeing what Humphrey is doing I would consider there if goin anywhere. I would not go to the HWC or NWLC if I were I-Mar.  Don't think it is a good fit for him.  It would either be Rutgers, or OSU right now.  As noted he just had a great year.  So I wouldn't go anywhere else unless it offered something unique.  No disrespect to NWLC or HWC, but I feel they are focused winning NCAA, Because they can be.  There is a lot of talent there too, and that spreads time out. I think HWC would not add more to his diversity because he wrestles with that similar style now.  NWLC has Nolf, Zain, Bo, and Taylor just for starters.  He isn't gonna get the same attention.  OSU offers variety to his current style, and Humphrey is doing a great job with his group.  Just my opinion. 

Well whatever he is doing is clearly not working, everyone else is beating the crap out've JB & Isaiah isn't even coming close, well except for 2 of the last 3.  ;_;

Something not mentioned is that IMAR is currently on staff at Illinois. You have to think the extra money he gets from that helps. He also might have coaching aspirations in the future and the experience is appealing to him. I don't think he could get a spot on staff right now at some of the other places. Also, Poeta is a great workout partner for him too. Bryan Medlin is probably one of the most underrated RTC coaches out there as well. I think he's in a pretty good spot where he is. I also think he travels quite a bit to train with top guys as well. I know he's been in Iowa City somewhat frequently.

Edited by qc8223

4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Go to the RTC where the guy who prevented you from being a 4xer by owning you trains and the guy most likely to be your top rival after 2020 also trains. Sounds like a brilliant idea. 

By owning you?  Wasn’t Joseph like 2-3 or 2-4 against IMar. Granted, he beat him on the big stage twice, but owning is a ridiculous word to use. Kind of like saying Donahoe owned Hazewinkel to keep him from winning one, even though Sam majored him at Big 12’s less than 2 weeks before. 

9 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Something not mentioned is that IMAR is currently on staff at Illinois. You have to think the extra money he gets from that helps. He also might have coaching aspirations in the future and the experience is appealing to him. I don't think he could get a spot on staff right now at some of the other places. Also, Poeta is a great workout partner for him too. Bryan Medlin is probably one of the most underrated RTC coaches out there as well. I think he's in a pretty good spot where he is. I also think he travels quite a bit to train with top guys as well. I know he's been in Iowa City somewhat frequently.

OK, being on staff is a good reason to stay.

8 hours ago, MSU158 said:

By owning you?  Wasn’t Joseph like 2-3 or 2-4 against IMar. Granted, he beat him on the big stage twice, but owning is a ridiculous word to use. Kind of like saying Donahoe owned Hazewinkel to keep him from winning one, even though Sam majored him at Big 12’s less than 2 weeks before. 

Yes, that is owning him. In those other matches, IMAR was just paying his rent....

(Sorry, had to do it)

18 hours ago, misterc said:

I’m not sure NLWC would take him given they have 2 guys likely going for the 74kg spot next year (Nolf and Joseph). Possibly 3 if Hall goes back down to 74kg for 2020. I know he said he won’t make that cut again but I just have a hard time seeing him all the way up at 86kg. 

13 hours ago, MSU158 said:

When it mattered, a dominant stick and a dominant uncontested win. The rest was practice.