Jump to content
madcat11

Stop 1984ing us

Recommended Posts

Seriously.  I haven't seen this level of censorship on the boards since we bought an olympic spot for "He Who Shall Not Be Named."

 

I get setting rules for the level of discourse allowed.  But to just ban an entire topic from discussion that is currently the #1 piece of news in wrestling is ludicrous.  Moderate the topic and delete the posts that cross the line-don't delete the threads.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legal Matters: Legal issues surrounding athletes either in college or high school will be removed. These include any type of matter that involves arrests or pending charges. This does not include eligibility, however, pointing out legal matters as a means to tear down others will not be tolerated. (Dec. '10)

This rule has been in effect for nearly a decade. For full forum rules see below.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Oh nvm. Referring to the Minny stuffs.

If y'all want to participate in the trash those threads were go to Facebook.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! God forbid that the main source of news for college wrestling cover actual stories.  That would be terrible. Snowflakes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! God forbid that the main source of news for college wrestling cover actual stories.  That would be terrible. Snowflakes.  

Nah. Just the rules, mate. They're clear here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rule makes no sense. College athletes are adults and sometimes as old as 26. We can discuss legal matters of coaches and international wrestlers without a problem, but if they’re taking college credit it is against the rules? I think posts that cross the line should be deleted, but censoring the entire topic from discussion like we are in Beijing is wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

The rule makes no sense. College athletes are adults and sometimes as old as 26. We can discuss legal matters of coaches and international wrestlers without a problem, but if they’re taking college credit it is against the rules? I think posts that cross the line should be deleted, but censoring the entire topic from discussion like we are in Beijing is wrong. 

Are you arguing that a private entity should be forced to publish something it does not want to publish?  What are you even saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Katie said:

Are you arguing that a private entity should be forced to publish something it does not want to publish?  What are you even saying?

I’m saying they should change their rule to allow discussion of the topic. 

Apparently we are allowed to discuss legal issues surrounding international wrestlers, but not college even though all are adults. 

Im not forcing them to do anything, merely stating my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

You can talk about it all you want. Just not here. Make your own forum. Find another one. The government isn't stopping you.

Of course we can do that, but we’d rather have a discussion here, on the forum related to discussing issues concerning wrestling.

 

Also, it seems like this may soon be moot as it appears the topic might transition to an eligibility question rather than legal, which according to the rules posted above can be discussed. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I created this rule back when I operated the boards. Why? Because too many times, people cannot act in a civilized manner with things like this. There was a time where I spent more time policing this board than doing my actual job while at USA Wrestling. What happened? I got heated calls from coaches, athletes, parents and even attorneys about the content on this message board. This, along with feedback from the staff at USAW during my tenure (2009-2012), was used to create this rule. 

So what happened was members of this very board weren't mature enough to have that conversation. It was repeated time and time and time again. Adults can't handle themselves like adults, then the rules of this board were created to prevent adults from acting like children. People seem to have short memories. Anytime a Hawkeye had an issue - the haters flocked. There were also instances with Cowboys, Nittany Lions and other athletes from high profile programs. 

You have the right do discuss these things. USAW doesn't have to provide you that right on their messageboards. There's plenty of other places for people to spew their venom - this rule was created so that this was not one of them. 

The rule was created because some people aren't responsible enough to have civil discussions. I don't work there anymore, but the rule has been in place and was put into place because of constant and repeated vitriol in situations regarding college athletes. You want to fight about it? Go to Twitter, Facebook or the comments section of newspaper websites. That's why the rule was put into place and I'm glad USAW is sticking to it. 

If you don't remember anything like this before, you have a short memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I created this rule back when I operated the boards. Why? Because too many times, people cannot act in a civilized manner with things like this. There was a time where I spent more time policing this board than doing my actual job while at USA Wrestling. What happened? I got heated calls from coaches, athletes, parents and even attorneys about the content on this message board. This, along with feedback from the staff at USAW during my tenure (2009-2012), was used to create this rule. 

So what happened was members of this very board weren't mature enough to have that conversation. It was repeated time and time and time again. Adults can't handle themselves like adults, then the rules of this board were created to prevent adults from acting like children. People seem to have short memories. Anytime a Hawkeye had an issue - the haters flocked. There were also instances with Cowboys, Nittany Lions and other athletes from high profile programs. 

You have the right do discuss these things. USAW doesn't have to provide you that right on their messageboards. There's plenty of other places for people to spew their venom - this rule was created so that this was not one of them. 

The rule was created because some people aren't responsible enough to have civil discussions. I don't work there anymore, but the rule has been in place and was put into place because of constant and repeated vitriol in situations regarding college athletes. You want to fight about it? Go to Twitter, Facebook or the comments section of newspaper websites. That's why the rule was put into place and I'm glad USAW is sticking to it. 

If you don't remember anything like this before, you have a short memory. 

Yeah that makes sense.  Sorry JB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I created this rule back when I operated the boards. Why? Because too many times, people cannot act in a civilized manner with things like this.

Internet rule #2 - The internet is a cesspool. Internet civility is decidedly non-civil. 

 

BTW there are only immutable internet rules. See rule #1 in another thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I created this rule back when I operated the boards. Why? Because too many times, people cannot act in a civilized manner with things like this. There was a time where I spent more time policing this board than doing my actual job while at USA Wrestling. What happened? I got heated calls from coaches, athletes, parents and even attorneys about the content on this message board. This, along with feedback from the staff at USAW during my tenure (2009-2012), was used to create this rule. 

So what happened was members of this very board weren't mature enough to have that conversation. It was repeated time and time and time again. Adults can't handle themselves like adults, then the rules of this board were created to prevent adults from acting like children. People seem to have short memories. Anytime a Hawkeye had an issue - the haters flocked. There were also instances with Cowboys, Nittany Lions and other athletes from high profile programs. 

You have the right do discuss these things. USAW doesn't have to provide you that right on their messageboards. There's plenty of other places for people to spew their venom - this rule was created so that this was not one of them. 

The rule was created because some people aren't responsible enough to have civil discussions. I don't work there anymore, but the rule has been in place and was put into place because of constant and repeated vitriol in situations regarding college athletes. You want to fight about it? Go to Twitter, Facebook or the comments section of newspaper websites. That's why the rule was put into place and I'm glad USAW is sticking to it. 

If you don't remember anything like this before, you have a short memory. 

You’re right that the easier solution is to erase the entire topic from discussion. But the better solution is to delete the uncivilized posts and warn/suspend/ban the posters who cross the line. I do not think the actions of the immature few should limit discussion between the responsible majority.

 

The rule itself is arbitrary, as why should taking college credit preclude an individual from discussion (vs being a coach or international wrestler). The suggestion to “go somewhere else” if we want to discuss the topic doesn’t validate the rule. And if the employees of USAW are too overworked to moderate individual threads (as you were back in 2011), an easy solution to that dilemma is to assign section volunteer moderators for international, college, high school, etc. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

You’re right that the easier solution is to erase the entire topic from discussion. But the better solution is to delete the uncivilized posts and warn/suspend/ban the posters who cross the line. I do not think the actions of the immature few should limit discussion between the responsible majority.

 

The rule itself is arbitrary, as why should taking college credit preclude an individual from discussion (vs being a coach or international wrestler). The suggestion to “go somewhere else” if we want to discuss the topic doesn’t validate the rule. And if the employees of USAW are too overworked to moderate individual threads (as you were back in 2011), an easy solution to that dilemma is to assign section volunteer moderators for international, college, high school, etc. 

Well, it's not just college kids, it's pretty much any legal matter. HS kids, coaches, etc. That's not arbitrary, it was concrete. Your better solution was tried first and tried repeatedly.

This was the last resort - When I would leave for lunch and come back an hour later to find dozens of posts, it would take more time to actually read the posts to determine what stays and what goes. Volunteer mods were used prior to my arrival and at a few times during - but no one wanted to do it or they'd do it and then would get too busy - you get what you pay for with volunteers. You can't complain about them not doing the work you aren't paying them to do. When you have volunteers, none of them want to be identified either, because when they're outed, they get dogged by PMs and DMs and then they get run off. This board is only as good as the people who post on it. This action back then was a direct result of proven and continued abuse by its patrons. In my time, I only banned 12 people despite the claims that it was a wholesale ban fest. I can't speak for those who moderated the boards before me. 

They're not overworked in regards to what the term sounds like, but this forum is not (and should not be) a case where it takes hours a day to moderate. That's what it becomes when you want to sift out what's good and what's bad. I had a college coach call my cell at 5:45 in the morning screaming at me for something that was posted overnight, blew up and I had no idea it was there. I lived in the Mountain Time Zone, so rational people are usually asleep during those hours. 

That's why the rule was put in place. It's been posted for all to see for years. I don't work here anymore, but I also find it amusing that people blame others for not allowing them to be complete jagoffs. This was a direct result of the bad apples who, as the saying goes, ruin it for everyone else. Run them off, new ones grow in their place. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...