Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Teasdale at Iowa?

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Every 2 weeks? I think I wait longer than that most times. Lol. 

Seriously, you don't see this happens with the Iowa fan base every year with all the weight class shifts and how that will make for an even better line up? As if it were just that easy? They have more new and improved line ups this time of year than Ruffles has potato chips. 

Every fan base, including PSU, does that. In fact, I think every fan base in every sport does that. You haven't stumbled on something unique here. There are 3-4 posters on there that are always overly optimistic about improvement and such, but you like to pretend that's indicative of the entire fan base. Simply not the case. Most Iowa fans have very realistic expectations for their team. 

You also see PSU fans do this. For example, early last season a few were speculating that Nick Lee had closed the gap with Yianni and that Teasdale would be an AA threat at 125. There was also a lot of talk about Rasheed being able to beat Martin. Obviously, none of those things came to pass, but the conversations themselves weren't stupid or anything. They're the whole purpose of message boards. The difference between you and me is that I don't act smug and self-righteous about it as if I don't ever engage in homer reasoning.

33 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Every fan base, including PSU, does that. In fact, I think every fan base in every sport does that. You haven't stumbled on something unique here. There are 3-4 posters on there that are always overly optimistic about improvement and such, but you like to pretend that's indicative of the entire fan base. Simply not the case. Most Iowa fans have very realistic expectations for their team. 

You also see PSU fans do this. For example, early last season a few were speculating that Nick Lee had closed the gap with Yianni and that Teasdale would be an AA threat at 125. There was also a lot of talk about Rasheed being able to beat Martin. Obviously, none of those things came to pass, but the conversations themselves weren't stupid or anything. They're the whole purpose of message boards. The difference between you and me is that I don't act smug and self-righteous about it as if I don't ever engage in homer reasoning.

Good to know. :-)

14 minutes ago, fiveontwo said:

TR Foley does that all the time.  huge homer for uva.  has em winning a team title next year and im like pshhh!

He has picked UVA to win a team title? Surely not an NCAA team title? That would be fairly crazy.

21 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Why?

Murin has a hard cut and has obviously more upside.

Thinking of who both of them wrestled at NCAAs I don't see why a 149lb Murin wouldn't have been able to do that.

If it comes to making the team the best team possible then I think we'll absolutely see Murin up at 149.

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I'd like to see Murin up at 149 next year (assuming some combination of Teasdale/Renteria/Desanto doesn't leave them with a hole at 141) if for no other reason than he's their long term plan there after Lugo graduates. 

I think people, myself included, may have underestimated how much he was cutting last year and how much it affected him. I think the cut mitigated a lot of his power. Last summer, at 143.5 with night before weigh ins, he looked really big and strong, to the point where he actually muscled a bigger Sammy Sasso around quite a bit with his snaps. As the season wore on, he didn't have that same juice in his snaps and without it, he wasn't able to move guys as well, which his offense depended on. 

For some perspective, he definitely has the frame to be a big 149. He's listed at 5'8, 3 inches taller than Pat Lugo and right in the average range for a 149.  

Yes to both of these. Murin has been so close to breaking through and I think the cut is holding him back. He mentioned in an interview last season that he drops "a few tens" of pounds to make 141 and that he's pretty much waiting for Lugo to graduate so he can go up to 149. I know he's really happy at Iowa but I wish he'd consider transferring rather than sit on the bench for at least a year. Either that or challenge Lugo for the spot.

26 minutes ago, pamela said:

Yes to both of these. Murin has been so close to breaking through and I think the cut is holding him back. He mentioned in an interview last season that he drops "a few tens" of pounds to make 141 and that he's pretty much waiting for Lugo to graduate so he can go up to 149. I know he's really happy at Iowa but I wish he'd consider transferring rather than sit on the bench for at least a year. Either that or challenge Lugo for the spot.

Disagree on the transfer part. He would only potentially miss 1 year and I wouldn't rule out him beating out Lugo either. Iowa seems like the perfect spot for him style-wise. He reminds me a little of a young Gilman. Big, strong bruiser with limited offense. Gilman added a ton of offense after his freshman year. I could see Murin doing the same.

3 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Disagree on the transfer part. He would only potentially miss 1 year and I wouldn't rule out him beating out Lugo either. Iowa seems like the perfect spot for him style-wise. He reminds me a little of a young Gilman. Big, strong bruiser with limited offense. Gilman added a ton of offense after his freshman year. I could see Murin doing the same.

I think he could beat Lugo too. I thought transfer because he got recruited-over and there are a ton of programs who could make room for him, it's better for college wrestling, and I'd rather see him be a 3x AA instead of a 2x AA. He seems really close to his teammates and happy at Iowa though so it's more wishful thinking than something that might actually happen.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

I think he could beat Lugo too. I thought transfer because he got recruited-over and there are a ton of programs who could make room for him, it's better for college wrestling, and I'd rather see him be a 3x AA instead of a 2x AA. He seems really close to his teammates and happy at Iowa though so it's more wishful thinking than something that might actually happen.

Did he get recruited over though? It seems like he's the plan at 149 long term. If they landed a top flight 149 prospect, then I might agree. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:18 PM, Idaho said:

Yep I don’t know about weight issues either but Teasdale seems to be a 25 and DeSanto looked good at 133 in terms of size, strength and conditioning. I think DS could handle 141 more than T 125 but it’s not optimum for either.  Just my opinion. 

Teasdale is in no way a 125. 

I feel like Desanto moves up at his peril, he wins on wearing people down, being big for the weight is a big part of that. Nick Lee is kind of a donkey by PSU standards, but he still is more dynamic than Desanto.

But he may still be growing...also escaping 133 might be worth the trip.  

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I feel like Desanto moves up at his peril, he wins on wearing people down, being big for the weight is a big part of that. Nick Lee is kind of a donkey by PSU standards, but he still is more dynamic than Desanto.

But he may still be growing...also escaping 133 might be worth the trip.  

I agree being strong enough for the weight is huge for DeSanto, but his biggest weapon is his pace. If a cut to 133 is going to affect that, he needs to move up. He didn’t look that big at 133 to me and I have no idea if that’s he case, just saying it could be part of the reason. 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:17 PM, qc8223 said:

Did he get recruited over though? It seems like he's the plan at 149 long term. If they landed a top flight 149 prospect, then I might agree. 

If I was Max Murin, I would think so. Lugo may not have been so highly rated but he beat Sorenson, Barone, and Chisko his last season at Edinboro and transferred well after Murin committed. And I thought Nelson Brands was projected to be a 149/157 before he started growing his his Sr. year in high school. 

Not that Brands owes Murin anything, and I guess it doesn’t matter though if he’s OK with potentially getting squeezed out of the lineup for a season. I just think he’s much better than we’ve seen so far.

Does Spencer redshirt? That is a good question, I halfway think that he doesn't so that Iowa can try and reclaim the National Championships. I can envision that Spencer does what SnyderMan did, which is that he doesn't wrestle until January, and then wrestles very sparingly until the Big Ten's and the NCAA's.