Ultraflex_7

Iowa Hawkeyes - Director of Operations

No. 
Melissa Simmons is currently the Director of Ops at NC State and there's been several others. Off the top of my head Purdue, Campbell, Arizona State, Iowa State and West Virginia have all had female director of ops at some point in the recent past. Probably leaving a team or two out as well. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Is this allowed?  Feels like a conflict of interest for Iowa to give the wife of a current starter a job on the team....

I don't think it's a violation. You can't discriminate against her because her husband wrestles.

Having said that, if this were at Penn State the Vodka drinking compliance calling hawkeye fanboy would be going kuh-razy.

5 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Varies by state and institution. Central Michigan wouldn't allow Tom Borrelli to hire his son Jason as an assistant coach because of laws/statutes related to nepotism. 

Would a nepotism policy apply given Marinelli is not an employee? 

I am guessing that this specific hire does not violate University policy or State law just based on the fact they'd have researched those issues along with any NCAA issue.

You can't employ (or I think plan to employ) a PSAs family.

As to SAs- it's not specifically prohibited as long as it's a benefit available to the general student body and not related to athletic achievement.  What that means...

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I am guessing that this specific hire does not violate University policy or State law just based on the fact they'd have researched those issues along with any NCAA issue.

Dude, two brothers at coaches.

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

You can't employ (or I think plan to employ) a PSAs family.

As to SAs- it's not specifically prohibited as long as it's a benefit available to the general student body and not related to athletic achievement.  What that means...

So Marinelli's wife couldn't have been promised the job before he enrolled at Iow?

11 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Dude, two brothers at coaches.

Try to follow along better. Moriah, her husband the wrestler Alex Marinelli ....., nepotism there ( as opposed to at Mich.) 

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

If there were 2 candidates for the job, one unrelated to any Iowa wrestlers and one who is the wife of a star Iowa wrestler and she ends up getting the job....

yeah....

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

So Marinelli's wife couldn't have been promised the job before he enrolled at Iow?

I believe so. I do a little informal compliance work and a couple of things I've noticed over the years are these-

1. The real school compliance people are sometimes surprised when I carry a manual with me- the real compliance people mostly work from forms prepared from the NCAA or from the school from years ago rather than knowledge of the rules. 99% of compliance is making sure everything is recorded.

2. The compliance manual was written by a fan of James Joyce's Ulysses in it's Irish-English language.

3. Also, I think the rationale for a lot of the rules were to allow what had always gone on (payments to kids/coaches largely and allowing outsiders to coach via clubs) but with limits and over the table rather than under.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

If there were 2 candidates for the job, one unrelated to any Iowa wrestlers and one who is the wife of a star Iowa wrestler and she ends up getting the job....

yeah....

Now does experience have anything to do with it? Moriah was the team manager for 4 years and worked for the HWC for many of those years also. I see your point, but do you think there was a candidate who applied who was better?

17 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

No. 
Melissa Simmons is currently the Director of Ops at NC State and there's been several others. Off the top of my head Purdue, Campbell, Arizona State, Iowa State and West Virginia have all had female director of ops at some point in the recent past. Probably leaving a team or two out as well. 

I'm not sure if it was a formal school position but one of our (Lehigh) female managers was called that (I believe after she graduated from undergrad school). I think I saw a tag to that effect on the office lobby desk she had.

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Is this allowed?  Feels like a conflict of interest for Iowa to give the wife of a current starter a job on the team....

5 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Varies by state and institution. Central Michigan wouldn't allow Tom Borrelli to hire his son Jason as an assistant coach because of laws/statutes related to nepotism. 

The NCAA has a specific policy prohibiting the hiring of any non-coaching personnel tied to an athlete for two years prior to or after their enrollment ("the Mario Chalmers Rule") but I don't know if that's only for basketball. And I guess Marinelli is in his third year now.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Russ got Polly a job at UW, for Jimmy.  

Pretty sure she was a mat aide(or whatever Iowa calls them), worked with Rudis and had heavy involvement with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. Not to mention a lifelong connection to the sport of wrestling. I would suggest she is more than qualified for the position.

I am more curious if Luke Eustice(longtime Dir of Op) was asked to step down or if that was a decision he made on his own? He just seemed like a lifer so was surprised to see him leave his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, grappler6 said:

Pretty sure she was a mat aide(or whatever Iowa calls them), worked with Rudis and had heavy involvement with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. Not to mention a lifelong connection to the sport of wrestling. I would suggest she is more than qualified for the position.

Agreed that she is qualified.  Her bio on the Iowa page says: "She was a manager for the Hawkeye wrestling team from 2015-19 and has four years of administrative experience working with the Hawkeye Wrestling Club."

On 6/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, pamela said:

The NCAA has a specific policy prohibiting the hiring of any non-coaching personnel tied to an athlete for two years prior to or after their enrollment ("the Mario Chalmers Rule") but I don't know if that's only for basketball. And I guess Marinelli is in his third year now.

That's strange. Because the main reason James Harden committed to play basketball at ASU was because Herb Sendek hired his high school or AAU coach as an assistant.  

On 6/29/2019 at 10:43 PM, TripNSweep said:

That's strange. Because the main reason James Harden committed to play basketball at ASU was because Herb Sendek hired his high school or AAU coach as an assistant.  

Yah, it's wack that the Mario Chalmers rule doesn't apply to coaching staff hires - just non-coaching personnel. I guess it's to keep programs from inventing vanity off-budget positions (like "Director of Video & Archival Footage") where the person hired could get paid without even showing up - which looks like a payoff if they are tied to an athlete.

That can happen with coaching staff too, but there are already headcount limitations and when those weird Harden-hires happen they can actually harm a program and put even more work on the shoulders of the other staff. But yah, it's a dumb loophole.

Edited by pamela