Jimmy Cinnabon

Will Steveson's suspension be lifted?

12 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Just posted a link to an article from the Star Tribune.  Did not comment on it, just posted the link and the moderators took it down?  Wow. 

I get USA wrestling doesn't want people to talk about this here, but there have been some really dumb takes that are not a good look on this topic from USA wrestlers, and a current world team member. You'd think they would worry about that more than forum discussions.

Read the rules, guys. USAW doesn't provide the platform for its athletes to speak on this (meaning, it doesn't own Twitter). It does, however, provide this platform and it's well within USAW's rights to make rules that users can either abide by or not abide by. If you don't abide by them, talk about it somewhere else. There's a litany of comments in more trafficked platforms than this.

I don't work here, but I explained in detail why this policy was enacted - it's because this forum's userbase often lacks the level of restraint and maturity to discuss it without it divulging into absolute crap. I dealt with it for years. Legal matters aren't discussed here because we have some absolutely deplorable fans who have accounts here. They ruined it for everyone years ago. No one's to blame except the fans who can't control themselves. 

Why does this thread stay? I'm going on the assumption it's about him returning to the lineup. I suspect people will spend more time trying to circumvent the rules, which I will never understand. Pretty sure if the topic stays about competition at heavy, it won't be locked up or tossed, but that's up to you guys. 

46 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Read the rules, guys. USAW doesn't provide the platform for its athletes to speak on this (meaning, it doesn't own Twitter). It does, however, provide this platform and it's well within USAW's rights to make rules that users can either abide by or not abide by. If you don't abide by them, talk about it somewhere else. There's a litany of comments in more trafficked platforms than this.

I don't work here, but I explained in detail why this policy was enacted - it's because this forum's userbase often lacks the level of restraint and maturity to discuss it without it divulging into absolute crap. I dealt with it for years. Legal matters aren't discussed here because we have some absolutely deplorable fans who have accounts here. They ruined it for everyone years ago. No one's to blame except the fans who can't control themselves. 

Why does this thread stay? I'm going on the assumption it's about him returning to the lineup. I suspect people will spend more time trying to circumvent the rules, which I will never understand. Pretty sure if the topic stays about competition at heavy, it won't be locked up or tossed, but that's up to you guys. 

When you made that rule social media wasn’t what it is today, so coaches and athletes regularly checked themat and flipped out when issues were discussed that they did not like. There was pressure to police the forum (hence your 5 AM calls and threatened lawsuits). Now these types of discussions are ubiquitous on Facebook/Twitter and themat is an afterthought to  the coaches/athletes. Yet we still have this rule of absolute censorship, which was good at the time you created it, but has now become archaic and excessive. 

Delete the posts that cross the line and ban the users who repeatedly cross the line. Absolute censorship is the wrong policy from a governing body (although god course it’s legal and they “have the right”).

Edited by Billyhoyle

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

When you made that rule social media wasn’t what it is today, so coaches and athletes regularly checked themat and flipped out when issues were discussed that they did not like. There was pressure to police the forum (hence your 5 AM calls and threatened lawsuits). Now these types of discussions are ubiquitous on Facebook/Twitter and themat is an afterthought to  the coaches/athletes. Yet we still have this rule of absolute censorship, which was good at the time you created it, but has now become archaic and excessive. 

Delete the posts that cross the line and ban the users who repeatedly cross the line. Absolute censorship is the wrong policy from a governing body (although god course it’s legal and they “have the right”).

It's not absolute censorship, it was - and apparently still is - a preventive measure. Just by the sheer volume of people trying to circumvent a posted rule by being catty and coy about it shows the rule is still necessary because people will do anything they can to be jerks. Instead of saying, well, we can just talk about it on Facebook (maybe some who come here are afraid to post their thoughts under their real name there?) and move along, people spend more time making posts to specifically get removed to prove a point rather than honoring the posted rules of the board (ones posted for a long time, mind you). This rule isn't in place for the adults, but when the inmates overtake the asylum, banning and deleting posts becomes more cumbersome and labor intensive because rather than saying "ok, we don't do the legal issues here" trolls come out of the woodwork and try to outsmart the posted rules. 

Even though I don't work here anymore, it's clear to me people still don't understand WHY it was put into place, because some of the stuff I saw before threads were yanked were right on par with what I dealt with years and years ago. It's even harder to ban individuals these days because of VPNs and disposable e-mail addresses. Again, it was put in as a preventive measure and this situation has proven once again, we can't have nice things. 

Anyone care to stay on topic about the OP before this gets locked/removed too?