On 6/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Taylor is the better option at 86kg he has a gold at this weight, best Cox has done is bronze. 2 days at scratch weight will be too much for Cox to overcome. He struggled with the old rules. 

I was more speculating that Taylor won't be back to 100% in time.  

On 6/30/2019 at 5:44 AM, Flying-Tiger said:

Agree, Cox is a great wrestler but I question wether he can maintain that level at 86kg under the current weight-in rules.  Taylor now fits that weight very well and has a non stop motor so he will be a bigger challenge then last time.

No matter what ultimately happens, it's a shame that one of Cox, Taylor or Snyder will not be able to compete in the Olympics. 

This!

mspart

So looking back at our freestyle team after a couple of events

57: Daton Fix - Beat the tough Cuban at Pan Ams, can definitely compete at this level.
61: Tyler Graff - Just took bronze at the medved. Not very likely to maybe and possibly 0-1, but maybe with the right draw...
65: Zain Retherford - Not feeling great given his injury, BUT i still think Zain could gas anyone on any given day. 
70: James Green - What the heck is going on with him? At this rate he might not win a match at worlds. 
74: Jordan Burroughs - He is wrestling a ton of close matches. Still one of the best in the world. Heres to hoping he can pull off one more. 
79: Kyle Dake or Alex Dieringer - Wrestle off coming soon. World title contender either way. 
86: Pat Downey - Has not looked great at all. 
92: J'den Cox - Looks like the best guy on the team right now, WOW!
97: Kyle Snyder- Looks like his usual self. Hoping for at least silver. 

125: Nick Gwiazdowski - Looking solid, but he isn't beating Akgul.

12 minutes ago, buckeyehomer said:

92: J'den Cox - Looks like the best guy on the team right now, WOW!

I agree that Cox has looked phenomenal but it doesn’t seem like the talent or depth is anything special at 92kg. Seems like 86 and 97’s talent pool is way deeper. So the question is could he dominate those Olympic weights the same? I guess we’ll see next year. He’ll have to go through a stud just to make the team. 

I don't know much about Downey but if you guys don't give him a hope at a medal with how weak 86kg is this year then he must be pretty bad. 

I hope Cox and JB win (doubt JB will though). Also fully expect Sadulaev to shut Snyder up once and for all. Too much trash talk. 

My take on this as below -

57: Daton Fix - Best Case: Gold, Worst Case: Bronze
61: Tyler Graff - Best Case: Bronze, Worst Case: DNP
65: Zain Retherford - Best Case: DNP, Worst Case: DNP
70: James Green - Best Case: Bronze, Worst Case: DNP
74: Jordan Burroughs -  Best Case: Bronze, Worst Case: DNP
79: Kyle Dake or Alex Dieringer -  Best Case: Gold, Worst Case: Silver
86: Pat Downey -  Best Case: DNP, Worst Case: DNP
92: J'den Cox - Best Case: Gold, Worst Case: Silver
97: Kyle Snyder- Best Case: Silver, Worst Case: Bronze

125: Nick Gwiazdowski - . Best Case: Bronze, Worst Case: DNP

I agree that Cox has looked phenomenal but it doesn’t seem like the talent or depth is anything special at 92kg. Seems like 86 and 97’s talent pool is way deeper. So the question is could he dominate those Olympic weights the same? I guess we’ll see next year. He’ll have to go through a stud just to make the team. 

Cox has beaten all the studs the past few years. Are there some new studs you’re referring to?

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

I don't know much about Downey but if you guys don't give him a hope at a medal with how weak 86kg is this year then he must be pretty bad. 

I hope Cox and JB win (doubt JB will though). Also fully expect Sadulaev to shut Snyder up once and for all. Too much trash talk. 

Where is he doing all this trash talking?

6 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

86kg has Yazdani and DT. No one else really (Ghasempour probably third given his 4-1 win over Naifonov not long ago). 

On 6/20/2019 at 2:46 AM, Peso said:

I disagree.  I think we will finish in 2nd behind the mighty Russian team.  That sets up an interesting Olympic games in wrestling.   If we get healthy I say we have 6 or more medals.  3-4 in the finals.  I think Fix/Zain and Green surprise and Kyle beats Sadulaev (He friggin caught us with a grade school move last time).  By Tokyo we get Taylor back and shock the world by winning both the men and women's senior freestyle.

I could see us upsetting Russia in men's FS but there is no way any country is beating Japan in Womens FS next year in Tokyo.  Catching Japan in WFS will not happen anytime soon.  There is a huge gap on all levels - Cadet, jr & sr between Japan and the other countries.

3 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I could see us upsetting Russia in men's FS but there is no way any country is beating Japan in Womens FS next year in Tokyo.  Catching Japan in WFS will not happen anytime soon.  There is a huge gap on all levels - Cadet, jr & sr between Japan and the other countries.

I'm glad someone called me on that.  I was speaking from my ass, but wishful thinking.  I do believe the US Women's freestyle is trending up, but a few years away from seeing the benefits of the high school and college explosion.

15 hours ago, The Genius said:

Yeah he isn’t very good. Probably about 5th best in the US at 86kg. 

They shouldn't have made 92. Now 2 weak weights. The top 2 at 92 are Cox and Karimi. Karimi was making 86 no problem - just wasn't good enough to make the team. Cox who has cemented himself as the top 92 is big enough to wrestle 97 no problem. I like the extra weights but at some point it goes over board. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

They shouldn't have made 92. Now 2 weak weights. The top 2 at 92 are Cox and Karimi. Karimi was making 86 no problem - just wasn't good enough to make the team. Cox who has cemented himself as the top 92 is big enough to wrestle 97 no problem. I like the extra weights but at some point it goes over board. 

I agree, was kinda my point 

17 hours ago, freestyle_fan said:

I agree with everything here except that you have Daton Fix more likely to medal than Burroughs.

7 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

Exactly.  Until he can beat Taylor, he's 2nd at 86kg, not 5th. lol

He’s second now, but will barely be top 10 next year. Taylor, Cox, Ringer, Bo, Valencia, Hall, Moore and Martin will make this an insanely competitive class. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few too. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, freestyle_fan said:

Good list but I have to disagree that Burroughs best case is bronze. I think his best case is gold, can beat anyone in the field

2 hours ago, mob said:

Good list but I have to disagree that Burroughs best case is bronze. I think his best case is gold, can beat anyone in the field

I know lot of people on this forum are of the same opinion as you, but IMHO i think the ceiling for JB this year world's is Bronze. Few reasons to this - if you look into UWW rankings, both JB and Sidakov ( I know Sidakov is not yet confirmed, the wrestle-off between Sidakov and Kurbanaliev is pending, but i think Sidakov will prevail) will be on the same side of the brackets and most probably would meet in Semi-Finals and I am picking Sidakov over JB. This is just my opinion and I am sure lot of people disagree, but lets see!  [by the way - I said the same thing (best case for JB as Bronze) last year world championships as well and JB indeed ended up with Bronze]