10 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

He’s second now, but will barely be top 10 next year. Taylor, Cox, Ringer, Bo, Valencia, Hall, Moore and Martin will make this an insanely competitive class. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few too. 

Hidlay may have something to say about it as well.

Curious how Deepak does in the finals at Juniors, but I don't see a way he beats the Russian. I definitely don't see him wrestling him closer and tougher than Hidlay did.

Also... even though he is competing for a different country we all know he is USofA-Amine is better right now too.

Edited by nhs67
I'm an idiot

57: Daton Fix - Bronze  - I think Sanaev/Uguev repeats and gets gold
61: Tyler Graff - DNP
65: Zain Retherford - Bronze - I think he has a good shot alongside Rashidov (who I think wins gold), Otoguro and Punia 
70: James Green - Bronze - he is very inconsistent, but Iakobishvili, Baev (hoping Baev wins gold - he has stepped up at the Russian Nationals) and Batirov beats him
74: Jordan Burroughs -  Bronze - hoping for another Sidakov gold
79: Kyle Dake -  Gold - Dieringer silver/bronze
86: Pat Downey -  DNP - Yazdani probably wins gold, Naifonov will get silver imo.  He has gotten better this year
92: J'den Cox - Gold - I hope Tsakulov can do something, but he probably won't 
97: Kyle Snyder- silver - hoping Sadulaev can get another gold 

125: Nick Gwiazdowski - . bronze - doesn't beat Akgul, nor does he beat Petriashvili - but who does?

52 minutes ago, sidakova4991 said:

125: Nick Gwiazdowski - . bronze - doesn't beat Akgul, nor does he beat Petriashvili - but who does?

Gwiz will need a lucky draw to get Bronze given he has no chance against Hadi and even lost against Deng not long ago. 

Agree with the rest though, I'm rooting for Sadulaev especially.  

This is pretty taboo and ridiculously premature, but if Sadulaev sweeps 97 this year and next, I wonder if he attempts to clear out 125 as well. Gold at three weight classes would be hallowed ground. I think he can beat anyone not named Geno or Akgul right now, and I wonder if he could even beat them with proper training and lifting regimine.

Edited by bnwtwg

9 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

This is pretty taboo and ridiculously premature, but if Sadulaev sweeps 97 this year and next, I wonder if he attempts to clear out 125 as well. Gold at three weight classes would be hallowed ground. I think he can beat anyone not named Geno or Akgul right now, and I wonder if he could even beat them with proper training and lifting regimine.

I could see him beating Geno in the one year span. I think Tak would present very similar problems, to a heavier degree (pun intended) that caused him problems with Snyder in '17. We've seen the videos of what Tak does to Snyder.

22 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Respectfully, but strongly disagree. Going up to 97 is one thing, but 125 is an entirely different monster. I don’t think he would break top 5 in that weight class, ever. I honestly think our guys (Steveson, Gwiz) beat him, let alone the international top dogs. 

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Hasn’t Chamizo won gold at 65 and 70? He’s not too far off at 74 with the right draw. 

I'm not sure anyone is a lock, but I agree, if those 4 are healthy they are pretty solid bets.  I wish the Olympics kept a team score.  It appears to me, that Russia and Iran and Japan are all going to have epic teams.  I sense we could really have an exciting Olympics for the US if we can find a way to challenge Russia for the Crown.  I think it's silly that they don't present a team championship for the Oly's.  My friends outside of the wrestling world are even getting a little hyped.  Most of them have no idea what amazing wrestlers hail from Iran.  Simply amazing for a country much smaller in population than Mexico to be one of the top 3 programs in the world consistently.

30 minutes ago, justafan said:

Dake has to make the team first.Give me Ringer

You think he beats Taylor and Cox next year?

As well as the rest of the 79/86/92 contingents that are going to make it insanely deep?

27 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You think he beats Taylor and Cox next year?

As well as the rest of the 79/86/92 contingents that are going to make it insanely deep?

Well to play devils advocate, if he wins Saturday and medals this year, which is very much a possibility, the rest of the field is out of play. As well as having to beat both Taylor and Cox possibly, because he’s automatically in the semi’s next year at the OTT. 

On 8/13/2019 at 1:51 AM, AZ_wrestling said:

He’s second now, but will barely be top 10 next year. Taylor, Cox, Ringer, Bo, Valencia, Hall, Moore and Martin will make this an insanely competitive class. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few too. 

You're delusional if you think Valencia, Hall, and Moore have a shot at beating Downey. Cox is questionable for 86kg. I see Downey in the top three next year. 

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

Well to play devils advocate, if he wins Saturday and medals this year, which is very much a possibility, the rest of the field is out of play. As well as having to beat both Taylor and Cox possibly, because he’s automatically in the semi’s next year at the OTT. 

If he medals this year at 79kg, he will not automatically be in the semis next year at the OTT at 86kg. 

14 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yes he will. Check the selection procedures. 

Are you sure about that? Correct me if I am wrong but somebody explained it like this a while ago, if you win a medal in another weightclass you are placed in quarterfinals and if you win a medal in the exact weightclass you're placed in the semis 

17 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

You're delusional if you think Valencia, Hall, and Moore have a shot at beating Downey. Cox is questionable for 86kg. I see Downey in the top three next year. 

I’m delusional.  I believe Valencia and Moore would beat Downey.

From a team standpoint I think we get one of the better efforts we have ever seen.  Getting byes through the qualifying process will mean everything to these guys going into an Olympic year, especially with how deep we are in FS now.

8 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

So, if 79, 86 & 92 all medal next month and then all of them decided to go 86 for the OTT, then all three would advance to the semis?

86 would be in the final, 79 and 92 would be in the semi. 

If you medal in the Olympic weight you get the bye to the final like normal. If you medal in a non Olympic weight you get to pick up or down a weight and a bye to the semi. 

About a dozen threads covering that already.

Ringer and Cox sitting in semis while Taylor and Downey have to roll through it would be funny.

Deepak(same one who tooled Downey with ease 11-5 at Yasar Dogu) just won junior worlds on criteria 2-2 over a Russian that Hidlay(freshly bumped up 174lber) beat in the semis(watch the match then tell me otherwise).

Downey wouldn't even.beat our Juniors rep right now and you think he'll be top 3 next year? @Blue Dragons

On 8/14/2019 at 1:10 PM, Blue Dragons said:

Guess I’m delusional, alongside the majority on here. Your confidence in Downey is ill-placed. 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, nhs67 said:

About a dozen threads covering that already.

Ringer and Cox sitting in semis while Taylor and Downey have to roll through it would be funny.

Deepak(same one who tooled Downey with ease 11-5 at Yasar Dogu) just won junior worlds on criteria 2-2 over a Russian that Hidlay(freshly bumped up 174lber) beat in the semis(watch the match then tell me otherwise).

Downey wouldn't even.beat our Juniors rep right now and you think he'll be top 3 next year? @Blue Dragons

Sure he wouldn't. 

On 8/15/2019 at 6:25 AM, Sstern said:

I’m delusional.  I believe Valencia and Moore would beat Downey.

From a team standpoint I think we get one of the better efforts we have ever seen.  Getting byes through the qualifying process will mean everything to these guys going into an Olympic year, especially with how deep we are in FS now.

Valencia and Hall are nowhere near strong enough to hang with Downey. Moore, maybe.