Sublime607

Wrestling and IQ

It would be interesting to know what the average IQ is for NCAA champions vs the rest of the field. I have a theory that IQ makes a huge difference and separates them from the rest.

Edited by Sublime607

I don't think IQ has much to do with it.  I think it's about whether somebody can think critically, solve problems and apply those solutions.  Like if a wrestler keeps getting taken down with a certain shot, they would go back, review video of it and then see if they are doing something that puts them at a disadvantage when they are wrestling.  The next step is to practice whatever would correct that movement/position, and the most important part is to see whether they can correct it in a match.  That has nothing to do with whether you're smarter than other people, it just means that you can solve problems and learn quickly.  

All I'm saying is I cant really think of a single NCAA wrestling champion off the top of my head and say man that guy was dumb as a box of rocks. I do agree with TripNSweep critical thinking might be a more important factor.

25 minutes ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Let's take Yianni for example.  He obviously has a brain in his head since he's at Cornell.  But do you really think that his freakish scrambling ability is due to the fact that he is smart? 

Andy Bernard also went to Cornell...

26 minutes ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Let's take Yianni for example.  He obviously has a brain in his head since he's at Cornell.  But do you really think that his freakish scrambling ability is due to the fact that he is smart? 

I think there is a correlation that is related to intelligence in this instance.  The ability of your brain to process physical stimuli and situations at that speed could be argued as a form of intelligence/thinking power.  Jeopardy champs have instant recall of facts, and are viewed as "book smart" geniuses.  Yianni's scrambling his a similar skill, requiring the brain to operate at such a rapid pace in relation to the other.

So... Is He a genius?  By strict definition, maybe not.  If one expands the definition slightly, then maybe a "savant" that is really evolved in certain areas (while not so much in others... See triceps).

Interesting and a fitting topic from someone's who's handle is "Sublime."   It would take a book to encapsulate all that goes into being the top guy at the right time.  Discipline, focus, interest level, athletic ability (strength, power, flexibility, endurance, agility), the ability to learn, being open to learning, creativity, problem solving, the ability to perform under pressure, emotional control, etc., etc.  If you practice all of the aforementioned I guess you would be considered pretty smart in that regard.  I don't know if the average IQ is a bit above or below the average person but not sure if it would matter if you are laser focused and determined.

Lastly, I would have to mention the level of motivation that drives the person to do all of the necessary things to come out on top.  In other words, you need a strong reason why you would make that level of commitment.  Is the reason "why" you are doing this strong enough to get you through all the difficult times? 

2 hours ago, John Morgan said:

Interesting and a fitting topic from someone's who's handle is "Sublime."   It would take a book to encapsulate all that goes into being the top guy at the right time.  Discipline, focus, interest level, athletic ability (strength, power, flexibility, endurance, agility), the ability to learn, being open to learning, creativity, problem solving, the ability to perform under pressure, emotional control, etc., etc.  If you practice all of the aforementioned I guess you would be considered pretty smart in that regard.  I don't know if the average IQ is a bit above or below the average person but not sure if it would matter if you are laser focused and determined.

Lastly, I would have to mention the level of motivation that drives the person to do all of the necessary things to come out on top.  In other words, you need a strong reason why you would make that level of commitment.  Is the reason "why" you are doing this strong enough to get you through all the difficult times? 

Hey what can I say other than it's the offseason and I get board with the same old topics and like to read peoples different opinions that I may have not considered.

18 hours ago, LJB said:

IQ?

ugh...

i was tested at "genius" level several times as a kid/young adult...

who on this forum buys that?

take you "IQ tests" and kick rocks...

Nobody in wrestling should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.

7 hours ago, headshuck said:

By Tayler losing 11 straight times to Dake, you’re suggesting one of them has a higher IQ than the other?

Functional patterns were developed by a Cornell scientist.  

Ok maybe IQ isn’t the best way of measuring intelligence, but I think the OP brings up a good point. It definitely helps to be smart in wrestling because it is such a technical sport. I think most of he elite wrestlers you see are very intelligent. Definitely an underrated quality