Sublime607

Wrestling and IQ

Another mark of a smart wrestler is someone who doesn't beat themselves.  This can be long before the match/tournament with improper preparation in all regards.  Very talented athlete but can't seem to get out of their own way by continuing to make poor choices.  In addition, during match time, they are acutely aware of the situations, score, and time remaining, ie, they don't do something stupid to beat themselves.  Simple example, down 2-1 with 20 seconds to go and they go out of bounds.  Wrestler who is down looks at the clock and is aware of situation, yet at say 10 seconds left they look at the clock AGAIN and lose a split second of focus.  What?  You can't estimate in your head 20 seconds and what you need to do?  When I used to coach it was a sin to look at the coaches or the clock during live wrestling.  You only look over or at the clock after a whistle.  I could go on but you get the drift.

IQ tests positively correlate to academic and job performance. Anyone who says they are meaningless is not paying attention to the data. Speaking from personal experience, I'd say the correlation between IQ and wrestling success is very low (neither positive nor negative). I've met great wrestlers who span the bell curve. The four factors I'd suggest are most important to wrestling success are (1) mental toughness (fortitude and the will to win), (2) caliber of coaching, (3) time invested in practice and competition, and (4) natural athletic ability.

14 hours ago, headache said:

Gilman won world silver and he's dumb as a box of rocks.

LOL...true enough. But dumb as he may be, he's got a college degree now. On the other hand, it's from Iowa .He's qualified to shuck corn or milk cows.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, TarpHawk said:

IQ tests positively correlate to academic and job performance. Anyone who says they are meaningless is not paying attention to the data. Speaking from personal experience, I'd say the correlation between IQ and wrestling success is very low (neither positive nor negative). I've met great wrestlers who span the bell curve. The four factors I'd suggest are most important to wrestling success are (1) mental toughness (fortitude and the will to win), (2) caliber of coaching, (3) time invested in practice and competition, and (4) natural athletic ability.

That's true, but wrestling doesn't require Einstein's IQ. If I had to choose between 2 roughly equal wrestlers, one with a high IQ and the other with a high bench press, I'll take the high bench press every time. Further, I'll be RIGHT more often than not in doing so. I humbly suggest that points 1 and 4 are, quite easily, the most important in your list.

Edited by TobusRex

On 6/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, HokieHWT said:

I don’t know, I consider myself pretty intelligent and I was a terrible wrestler.

Don't worry, the rest of us feel you were a better wrestler than you think you were (and less intelligent than you think you are).

Edited by TobusRex

On 6/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, hammerlockthree said:

IQ(solving problems) and conscientiousness(how hard you work) are the 2 biggest indicators of success......so yeah obviously thats true.

Yeah? Name the last guy with a 170 IQ who won an NCAA title.

Probably doesn't take more than an 85 IQ to be a great wrestler, if you have the athletic skills and desire. We're not splitting the atom here.

Edited by TobusRex

On 6/21/2019 at 9:29 AM, John Morgan said:

Another mark of a smart wrestler is someone who doesn't beat themselves.  This can be long before the match/tournament with improper preparation in all regards.  Very talented athlete but can't seem to get out of their own way by continuing to make poor choices.  In addition, during match time, they are acutely aware of the situations, score, and time remaining, ie, they don't do something stupid to beat themselves.  Simple example, down 2-1 with 20 seconds to go and they go out of bounds.  Wrestler who is down looks at the clock and is aware of situation, yet at say 10 seconds left they look at the clock AGAIN and lose a split second of focus.  What?  You can't estimate in your head 20 seconds and what you need to do?  When I used to coach it was a sin to look at the coaches or the clock during live wrestling.  You only look over or at the clock after a whistle.  I could go on but you get the drift.

You don't have to be intelligent to be a "smart wrestler". All you need to be a smart wrestler is good coaching and/or common sense. All things being equal of course I'd pick the smarter guy. But things are rarely equal enough for IQ to matter. We aren't writing computer programs or splitting the atom, we're trying to put a guy's shoulders on the mat. Wrestling is "mana from Heaven" for dumb guys. The 2nd best wrestler on my team (after me!) is now residing in prison for multiple DUIs. I bet his IQ wasn't much higher than 80, if it was over 80 at all. I wouldn't trust that dip**** to put the cat out before bed.

Have you considered that a guy might be TOO smart to wrestle? Second guessing himself, always trying to find the PERFECT takedown, escape, whatever, and wasting time when just good enough will do? I've known wrestlers who were quite smart, but who failed to perform at a high level on the mat. It goes both ways.

Edited by TobusRex

Stanford has 1 ncaa champ ever.  Princeton has none. Cornell rigged the admissions process so they can get dumber guys in through their community college scam. Penn has a couple champs. Harvard has 1.  Smart does not equal good wrestler. I like coaching dumb kids. They don’t question themselves or what you tell them as much as smart kids.  

On 6/25/2019 at 1:09 AM, TobusRex said:

Explain for the dumb guys here (me, mostly).

Gardner says that there are seven distinct intelligences: Visual-Spatial, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Musical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Linguistic, and Logical-Mathematical.  He says that these different intelligences affect how people see the world, process information, and learn.  

On 6/27/2019 at 3:53 PM, DrStrange said:

Stanford has 1 ncaa champ ever.  Princeton has none. Cornell rigged the admissions process so they can get dumber guys in through their community college scam. Penn has a couple champs. Harvard has 1.  Smart does not equal good wrestler. I like coaching dumb kids. They don’t question themselves or what you tell them as much as smart kids.  

People will call you a h8r for that observation.

Also,  Harvard has two.

the mind is the athlete.

this statement is attributed to Bryce Courtenay in this decade from what I can find... but I was using it in the late 90's.

I got it from my coach... who learned it in the 60's in the marines.

jimmy johnson - hit me with a hammer if I ever draft another dumb guy.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1997-04-13-9704120324-story.html

so maybe dr strange is on to something...

intelligence is relative

Edited by GockeS

Intellect may help some, but clearly, shear athleticism trumps it all. Charlie Heard was the toughest wrestler in the world for 2 min ; he teched K Darkus 10-0, Silver medalist to S. Beloglazov in 86, in the first pd at Pensacola Trials in 88 (when TDs were worth 1 pt); was beating Barry Davis 6-0 till he gassed (same tournament); was beating Sergia Beloglazov 4-0 at Tiblisi till he gassed. Charlie is not a Mensa member.

Our IQ's at this stage are too intellectually and technologically feeble to detect, much less comprehend the kind of communication that's occurring amongst much more advanced species. Just as people 100 years ago would not be able to comprehend the "magical" things possible today, neither will we be able to comprehend the magical things of 100 years from now. But we're still talking TINY time frames... whereas humanity has been collectively working toward advancing technology for a few thousand years... civilizations that are 10X as old would be incomprehensible to us. Likely mastery of QM and the multiverse is child's play to those civilizations.

Edited by fanta