Housebuye

9 wrestlers can become 4 time AAs next season

197 - Kollin Moore (3.4.2.?)

174 - Zahid Valencia (3,1,1,?), Mark Hall (1,2,2,?), David McFadden (6,5,5,?), Myles Amine (4,3,3,?)

165 - Vincenzo Joseph (1,1,2,?)

149 - Matthew Kolodzik (7,3,5,?)

141 - Jaydin Eierman (5,4,3,?)

133 - Stevan Micic (4,2,3,?)

Eierman and possible a few others will take an Olympic shirt  Mark Hall is the only one with a regular redshirt remaining.

I think the least likely to get to 4 would be Kolodzik, only because he tends to take a weird loss here or there, but he always shows up for NCAAs so who knows. McFadden is in a tough weight, especially if Zahid and Hall stay at 174.

Edited by Housebuye

also like to see Moore get a title to complete the 1-4 placings set. 

Has to be a fairly small group that has done that. I know Abe and Larkin did it getting one place better each season 4th as freshman on up to champs as seniors. Jim Martin went 4-2-1-3. sure some more recent than those that I am forgetting right this sec but again guessing a fairly small group overall that has those unique placings.

or just being top 4 for 4 years, great stuff and a lot of the guys on your list can make that happen.   

4 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Has to be a fairly small group that has done that. I know Abe and Larkin did it getting one place better each season 4th as freshman on up to champs as seniors. Jim Martin went 4-2-1-3. sure some more recent than those that I am forgetting right this sec but again guessing a fairly small group overall that has those unique placings.

or just being top 4 for 4 years, great stuff and a lot of the guys on your list can make that happen.   

Nickerson did it.

4 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Josh Koschek went 4-2-1-3 I believe

1 hour ago, JerryCallo said:

Methinks you may have overlooked/forgot to include Myles Amine 174 Michigan 4-3-3.  I am pretty sure he will be back next year.  

true. Updated.

That is 4 guys at 174...what are the chances they all AA?

7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

197 - Kollin Moore (3.4.2.?)

174 - Zahid Valencia (3,1,1,?), Mark Hall (1,2,2,?), David McFadden (6,5,5,?), Myles Amine (4,3,3,?)

165 - Vincenzo Joseph (1,1,2,?)

149 - Matthew Kolodzik (7,3,5,?)

141 - Jaydin Eierman (5,4,3,?)

133 - Stevan Micic (4,2,3,?)

Eierman and possible a few others will take an Olympic shirt  Mark Hall is the only one with a regular redshirt remaining.

I think the least likely to get to 4 would be Kolodzik, only because he tends to take a weird loss here or there, but he always shows up for NCAAs so who knows. McFadden is in a tough weight, especially if Zahid and Hall stay at 174.

If they don’t take Olympic redshirts I’d be a little surprised if Hall’s at 174 and shocked if Zahid is. 3 months after NCAA’s they’ve either gotta be at 163lbs or 189lbs for Olympic trials. I’d bet the house Zahid is going 86kg for the trials so hard to see him wrestling next year 15lbs under his Olympic weight class. Hall has said he’s not cutting down to make 74kg again but it’s possible he reconsiders...I think he’d be ridiculously small at 86kg and he trains with DT. Bo already said after Final X that not wanting to challenge DT was the reason he went 79kg this year. 

This talk of 4x AA’s got me wondering if Cassar wins it next year will he be the only 2x champ who didn’t even make the tournament (nevertheless AA) his other 2 healthy seasons? 

I’d think he would have to be the only 2x champ who didn’t even start on his own team his other 2 healthy years. 

Excluding guys who burned eligibility at JUCO or guys who got injured and didn’t get medical redshirts...and also excluding guys who wrestled back in Gable’s day when freshman couldn’t wrestle so you only had 3 seasons of eligibility. I’m really talking guys who had 4 healthy years of eligibility in D1.

12 hours ago, MDogg said:

If they don’t take Olympic redshirts I’d be a little surprised if Hall’s at 174 and shocked if Zahid is. 3 months after NCAA’s they’ve either gotta be at 163lbs or 189lbs for Olympic trials. I’d bet the house Zahid is going 86kg for the trials so hard to see him wrestling next year 15lbs under his Olympic weight class. Hall has said he’s not cutting down to make 74kg again but it’s possible he reconsiders...I think he’d be ridiculously small at 86kg and he trains with DT. Bo already said after Final X that not wanting to challenge DT was the reason he went 79kg this year. 

Is it possible that Zahid is a bit more realistic about his Olympic chances  this time around, especially given that he just got demolished by ringer, who will be in his weight class again when he moves up 15 pounds to take on the world champion who also demolished him in their last meeting?  Either way I suppose 184 makes sense.

2 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Is it possible that Zahid is a bit more realistic about his Olympic chances  this time around, especially given that he just got demolished by ringer, who will be in his weight class again when he moves up 15 pounds to take on the world champion who also demolished him in their last meeting?  Either way I suppose 184 makes sense.

I highly doubt he thinks this way. Also - anything can happen. Zahid would’ve been our world teamed this year at 86kg. Strange things happen every year, especially during Olympic years. 

65kg is a great example from 2016. We had a bunch of college legends, one of our best prospects ever, etc and then a guy who was maybe top 5 in the country made the team (Molinaro). 

As much as I am a fan of Taylor, I’m extremely concerned he doesn’t make the team next year due to this injury. It takes a long time to recover and he has to get back in shape, plus get his wrestling back up. His style requires him to be in peak condition. No doubt he will put in the work, but I’m not sure if he has time. It took him a good year to get into shape when he moved up weights. This shouldn’t take as long as his weight (hopefully) isn’t fluctuating too much, but trials are early next year. 

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I highly doubt he thinks this way. Also - anything can happen. Zahid would’ve been our world teamed this year at 86kg. Strange things happen every year, especially during Olympic years. 

65kg is a great example from 2016. We had a bunch of college legends, one of our best prospects ever, etc and then a guy who was maybe top 5 in the country made the team (Molinaro). 

As much as I am a fan of Taylor, I’m extremely concerned he doesn’t make the team next year due to this injury. It takes a long time to recover and he has to get back in shape, plus get his wrestling back up. His style requires him to be in peak condition. No doubt he will put in the work, but I’m not sure if he has time. It took him a good year to get into shape when he moved up weights. This shouldn’t take as long as his weight (hopefully) isn’t fluctuating too much, but trials are early next year. 

Solid point.  Actually  Molinaro was either the 8 or 9 seed.   Hope you’re wrong about DT though!  Has it ever been stated what his actual injury is?

Edited by Cradle1

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Wow, you are flat out stating that a considerably undersized Zahid would have beat everyone else at 86k, but Taylor?  I have to say, I think he would have a really hard time with Brooks, let alone Heflin or Downey.  The size and strength disparity would have been substantial. 

The sad truth is Zahid is a "tweener" stuck above a weight that is ridiculously deep, so he will inevitably go up to 86k where EVERYONE else at 79(besides Dake) will also be going up that just so happens to have World Champ DT in it.  Zahid is young enough that there is no rush, but I don't see him being our rep for a few more years.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Wow, you are flat out stating that a considerably undersized Zahid would have beat everyone else at 86k, but Taylor?  I have to say, I think he would have a really hard time with Brooks, let alone Heflin or Downey.  The size and strength disparity would have been substantial. 

The sad truth is Zahid is a "tweener" stuck above a weight that is ridiculously deep, so he will inevitably go up to 86k where EVERYONE else at 79(besides Dake) will also be going up that just so happens to have World Champ DT in it.  Zahid is young enough that there is no rush, but I don't see him being our rep for a few more years.

Yes. Zahid would smash Downey and Brooks. 

Heflin might give him a bit of trouble but I’d pick Zahid

On 6/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, KTG119 said:

really hoping McFadden gets it done. I think he'd be Tech's 1st 4xAA.  

Yes, he’d be VT’s first 4 timer. I was concerned he might not get his third last year at 74. He didn’t dominate like at 65 and had many close matches. But he gutted it out. I suspect he’ll hit the weights hard this summer because it was obvious he couldn’t horse the bigger guys around. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get the 4th. He’s money in March. 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:43 PM, MDogg said:

79kg? 

Let’s just stop for a second and look at not just how impressive it is that these three are going for their 4th AA honor, but that they’ve literally been beating each other up the last 3 yrs with them each placing top 4 of the same weight. Wow!

174 - Zahid Valencia (3,1,1,?), Mark Hall (1,2,2,?), Myles Amine (4,3,3,?)

56 minutes ago, tec87 said:

Let’s just stop for a second and look at not just how impressive it is that these three are going for their 4th AA honor, but that they’ve literally been beating each other up the last 3 yrs with them each placing top 4 of the same weight. Wow!

174 - Zahid Valencia (3,1,1,?), Mark Hall (1,2,2,?), Myles Amine (4,3,3,?)

I really want to know how good Amine is. Would he have won a title at 184 this year if he has bulked up? What if he was a bit smaller - could he beat Cenzo? 

Excitrd to see him compete for San Marino