Housebuye

Way too Early 2020 Olympics Team Picks

57kg - I think it comes down to Fix vs Lee, with Fix taking it

65kg - Yianni taking it against Zain (boring...)

74kg - Nolf dominates the field until he gets Isaiah Martinez in the Trials finals due to his win at the US Open. Nolf didn't enter the Open because NLWC makes decisions like that sometimes. Nolf beats iMar after giving up 2 pushouts (5-2, 4-2). Jordan Burroughs fresh off a medal uses his bye and sweeps Jason Nolf in competitive matches 

86kg - Taylor will be sitting to the finals due to winning the Open, and Cox had to beat Alex Deringer, Zahid Valencia and Mark Hall to make final X. J'den Cox takes it in controversial fashion in 3 against David Taylor.

97kg -  Kerklevit made final X by dominating most of the field, and then winning 4-1 against Ty Walz after Ty Walz wins a close one against Gadson, Snyder takes out tOSU teammate Kerklevit in 2, but Kerklevit holds his own (4-0, 8-3)

125kg - Gwiz is sitting in Final X due to his world medal in 2019. Gable torches the field, giving up 2 offensive points to a Mason Parris double. Gable beats Gwiz in 2 (5-4, 3-3)

31 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

57kg - I think it comes down to Fix vs Lee, with Fix taking it

65kg - Yianni taking it against Zain (boring...)

74kg - Nolf dominates the field until he gets Isaiah Martinez in the Trials finals due to his win at the US Open. Nolf didn't enter the Open because NLWC makes decisions like that sometimes. Nolf beats iMar after giving up 2 pushouts (5-2, 4-2). Jordan Burroughs fresh off a medal uses his bye and sweeps Jason Nolf in competitive matches 

86kg - Taylor will be sitting to the finals due to winning the Open, and Cox had to beat Alex Deringer, Zahid Valencia and Mark Hall to make final X. J'den Cox takes it in controversial fashion in 3 against David Taylor.

97kg -  Kerklevit made final X by dominating most of the field, and then winning 4-1 against Ty Walz after Ty Walz wins a close one against Gadson, Snyder takes out tOSU teammate Kerklevit in 2, but Kerklevit holds his own (4-0, 8-3)

125kg - Gwiz is sitting in Final X due to his world medal in 2019. Gable torches the field, giving up 2 offensive points to a Mason Parris double. Gable beats Gwiz in 2 (5-4, 3-3)

57 Somewhat agree, but Gilman will still be in the mix for another couple years. He's still pretty young. I'll take Fix because I haven't seen Lee wrestle freestyle recently and I think Fix might be a tough style match up with his ability to scramble out of Lee's attacks.

65 Still wouldn't count out Oliver or Zain here. Zain looked like the better guy despite the controversy. Yianni essentially had one really hot week and a half. We'll see if he's able to duplicate those results in the future. I'll take Zain.

74 Apparently, Dake is going to retire after this year? He'll be in the mix and the favorite, assuming he's healthy, imo. Also wouldn't be surprised to see IMAR take out Burroughs either. He closed that gap fast and I think he still has a lot of room to improve, especially with his offense. Don't see Nolf being a major factor here if only because of how good the top 3 are. Give me Dake

86 kg Don't they hold the open pretty early in the year during Olympic years? I'm not sure Taylor will be healthy enough to wrestle by then, let alone win. I'll take Cox at whatever weight he decides to wrestle.

97 It'll be Snyder-Nickal. I don't think Kervliet will be at 97. He's already started wrestling 125 and I doubt he cuts down once he's gone up. Snyder in boring matches over Nickal.

125 Gable's legal issues loom large here (hopefully I don't get the thread taken down by mentioning it). If everything falls in his favor, I'll take him over Gwiz I guess. Also Mason Parris doesn't really shoot doubles. He's a swing single, fireman's dump guy. Just fyi.

There is no Final X in Oly years 

That being said as of now this is the top 3 imhp:

57) Fix, Lee, Garrett

65) Retherford, Yianni, Oliver

74) Dake, JB, IMar

86) Taylor, Ringer, Valencia

97) Snyder, Cox, Nickal

125) Gwiz, Kerk, Steveson

Edited by nhs67
In My Honest Prediction

I am curious where and how the tweeners go...

All of 61, 70, 79, and 92.

Basically all of 61 will most likely go 57. I would be interested in seeing the likes of Graff up at 65, though. Who is huge at 61?

I see the opposite at 70. I think they pretty much all go up. Pantaleo, Green, Deakin? Now that I type it I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple descend. Sorenson, Kurch, Chamberlain have all seen 65kg in the last 3 years. We'll see.

79? I am thinking even split, as well as 92. I want to see Zillmer back up at 97kg.

A few predictions: Hall at 74. Valencia at 86. Graff at 65. Colon at 57. They could all be major dark horses at new weights.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Basically all of 61 will most likely go 57. I would be interested in seeing the likes of Graff up at 65, though. Who is huge at 61?

Colon would be a massive 57. Can he even make the weight and wrestle two periods with the new weighins?

There are usually some surprises (who picked Dennis or Frank in 2016?) so this is hard, but here is my shot.  Could easily wind up with just 0 or 1 right. :)

57: Garrett (kind of the forgotten man, but he was wrestling so well last year.... look at his matches with Nico at WTT or especially match 3 of Final X last year)

65: Oliver (don't think he was 100% this year, and he wasn't far behind the top 2)

74: Burroughs (tempting to go in a different direction, but just can't do it) 

86: Dieringer (this will seems like less of a surprise after he beats Dake)

97: Cox (think he's defense will not allow Snyder to get much on him.... I see these 2 having 3 extremely tense matches)

125: Gwiz (think Gwiz is a bit underrated for whatever reason... I expect him to medal again this year)

57: Fix - will separate from the pack with redshirt; Spencer doesn't close the gap due to wrestling folkstyle season to help Iowa make a title run

65: Retherford over Yanni and Lewis

74: Burroughs over Dake - expect officiating controversy

86: Cox over Taylor - injury just slows down his recovery too much

97: Snyder over Nickal - Bo does not close gap, Snyder ups top game

125: Gable over Gwiz - I think Gable redshirts next year 

6 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

57: Fix - will separate from the pack with redshirt; Spencer doesn't close the gap due to wrestling folkstyle season to help Iowa make a title run

Lewis?

Mehki Lewis. If he decides to give it a go, I think he makes the team. He is so raw though in FS, that the senior level may give him pause on this cycle. With a full year of training though, he’d definitely jump levels even though he’s only wrestled 3 FS tournaments

57, Fix or Lee, but as I type this, I think Lee's fireman's or near arm far leg neutralizes Fix's counters. So Lee. 

65, Yianni, I think with another year of maturity, he will widen the gap over Zain and everyone else. 

74, I was shocked to see how close IMar made it. But I really think that it's Burroughs or Dake. I saw one blogger say that Dake was going to hang it up after this year, I am not surprised by this, I just haven't heard about it. If Dake does call it a day, I would say it'll be down to Dieringer and Burroughs. Yes I know I am discounting IMar after saying that I couldn't believe how close he made it. I just think Dieringer has the advantage here. People talk about Nolf, and maybe he is the one, but right now I'm not convinced. I guess another factor will be how JB does this year at the World's, if he does really bad, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him call it a day. But I could also see that if JB does perform badly in 2019, he musters everything he has left to go out on top in 2020. But I am concerned about JB, during and after his matches with IMar, he looked like a guy who was tired and just had gone twelve rounds with the champ. I know that during the waining seconds of the first match he was able to use his speed and faints to overcome the deficit. But my point is, JB just didn't look like the JB of old. So to recap, JB or Dake, JB or Dieringer. 

86, Cox or Taylor, no telling how this works out. Now maybe Cox doesn't go down but tries to go up to 97, if that's the case, we see DT as the rep, being challenged by PD3 and Zahid, and maybe Heflin. I am not sure where Bo goes, but if I had a say in things, I would like to see him at 86 as well. 

97, Snyder, maybe Cox comes up, but I still think it's Snyder all day. I know others will have a different opinion, but I believe that Snyder has made some improvements in his offense over this past year, and has enough to handle Cox. 

125, Gwiz, with the recent incident with Gable, I am not sure how that will affect things this upcoming year. But I do have to say that after watching Gable handle Coon, and give Gwiz a run for his money, I have to say it wouldn't surprise me that Gable is our rep at this weight sooner rather than later. I also have to wonder where Cassar fits into all this. 

As far as the other guys who are at the other weights, I think that they should stay put and wait for the World's. 

5 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

Lewis was at 165 last year

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

There is no Final X in Oly years 

That being said as of now this is the top 3 imhp:

57) Fix, Lee, Garrett

65) Retherford, Yianni, Oliver

74) Dake, JB, IMar

86) Taylor, Ringer, Valencia

97) Snyder, Cox, Nickal

125) Gwiz, Kerk, Steveson

Is this your predicted order?  If so, Dake wins as many fantasy matchups against JB as DT does against Dake.

5 hours ago, de4856 said:

57, Fix or Lee, but as I type this, I think Lee's fireman's or near arm far leg neutralizes Fix's counters. So Lee. 

65, Yianni, I think with another year of maturity, he will widen the gap over Zain and everyone else. 

74, I was shocked to see how close IMar made it. But I really think that it's Burroughs or Dake. I saw one blogger say that Dake was going to hang it up after this year, I am not surprised by this, I just haven't heard about it. If Dake does call it a day, I would say it'll be down to Dieringer and Burroughs. Yes I know I am discounting IMar after saying that I couldn't believe how close he made it. I just think Dieringer has the advantage here. People talk about Nolf, and maybe he is the one, but right now I'm not convinced. I guess another factor will be how JB does this year at the World's, if he does really bad, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him call it a day. But I could also see that if JB does perform badly in 2019, he musters everything he has left to go out on top in 2020. But I am concerned about JB, during and after his matches with IMar, he looked like a guy who was tired and just had gone twelve rounds with the champ. I know that during the waining seconds of the first match he was able to use his speed and faints to overcome the deficit. But my point is, JB just didn't look like the JB of old. So to recap, JB or Dake, JB or Dieringer. 

86, Cox or Taylor, no telling how this works out. Now maybe Cox doesn't go down but tries to go up to 97, if that's the case, we see DT as the rep, being challenged by PD3 and Zahid, and maybe Heflin. I am not sure where Bo goes, but if I had a say in things, I would like to see him at 86 as well. 

97, Snyder, maybe Cox comes up, but I still think it's Snyder all day. I know others will have a different opinion, but I believe that Snyder has made some improvements in his offense over this past year, and has enough to handle Cox. 

125, Gwiz, with the recent incident with Gable, I am not sure how that will affect things this upcoming year. But I do have to say that after watching Gable handle Coon, and give Gwiz a run for his money, I have to say it wouldn't surprise me that Gable is our rep at this weight sooner rather than later. I also have to wonder where Cassar fits into all this. 

As far as the other guys who are at the other weights, I think that they should stay put and wait for the World's. 

I haven't heard the rumor of Dake retiring after 2019.  That would seem odd as you're only a year away from the Olympics.  Dieringer has already said he's going 86kg for Olympic year.  If there is no Dake, it will probably be a battle between IMar and Burroughs again.  Don't be concerned about JB.  He's already one of the greats and a 5Xer.  Just enjoy the end of the journey as we are near the end of his career.  I don't think he'll quit after 2019 regardless of what happens at Worlds, but I think he retires in 2020 regardless.  

15 hours ago, Gantry said:

There is no Final X in Olympic years. 

I am aware it isn’t called FinalX, but isn’t it still a best of 3 Final on a separate date than the trials? Plus the Open is still happening? So effectively the same thing but without the name FinalX?

this is what I based my post on. I didn’t know what to call it as world team trials/Olympic trials finals means the finals during trials, which I don’t think is what grants someone the position on the team. Right? 

14 hours ago, qc8223 said:

57 Somewhat agree, but Gilman will still be in the mix for another couple years. He's still pretty young. I'll take Fix because I haven't seen Lee wrestle freestyle recently and I think Fix might be a tough style match up with his ability to scramble out of Lee's attacks.

65 Still wouldn't count out Oliver or Zain here. Zain looked like the better guy despite the controversy. Yianni essentially had one really hot week and a half. We'll see if he's able to duplicate those results in the future. I'll take Zain.

74 Apparently, Dake is going to retire after this year? He'll be in the mix and the favorite, assuming he's healthy, imo. Also wouldn't be surprised to see IMAR take out Burroughs either. He closed that gap fast and I think he still has a lot of room to improve, especially with his offense. Don't see Nolf being a major factor here if only because of how good the top 3 are. Give me Dake

86 kg Don't they hold the open pretty early in the year during Olympic years? I'm not sure Taylor will be healthy enough to wrestle by then, let alone win. I'll take Cox at whatever weight he decides to wrestle.

97 It'll be Snyder-Nickal. I don't think Kervliet will be at 97. He's already started wrestling 125 and I doubt he cuts down once he's gone up. Snyder in boring matches over Nickal.

125 Gable's legal issues loom large here (hopefully I don't get the thread taken down by mentioning it). If everything falls in his favor, I'll take him over Gwiz I guess. Also Mason Parris doesn't really shoot doubles. He's a swing single, fireman's dump guy. Just fyi.

Yianni has more than a good week and a half. He isn’t a lock to make the team but that seems to be an oversimplification to me. 

You could be right in Kerklevit. I want some more competition at 97kg. At some point Snyder will need a year off and as much as I like Gadson, I want a medal contender and I think Kerklevit will eventually be that good. At heavyweight I think we are fine for the next cycle between Gwiz, Gable, and at least one or two other high level heavyweight recruits. Our young heavys are awesome and I expect at least a couple to jump levels. 

Good call on the early Open. I hadn’t considered that. I agree. 

Dake - love Dake. I don’t think he makes the Olympic team next year. I unfortunately think his injuries catch up with him. He got injured twice this year and has a history of bad injuries. JB doesn’t get injured. IMar doesn’t either. Nolf did once. I think Dake skill for skill could very well make the team and today would smash iMar and Nolf, but that doesn’t matter if he isn’t healthy. I do think a healthy Dake has a great shot at Olympic Gold at 74kg. 

51 minutes ago, misterc said:

I haven't heard the rumor of Dake retiring after 2019.  That would seem odd as you're only a year away from the Olympics.  Dieringer has already said he's going 86kg for Olympic year.  If there is no Dake, it will probably be a battle between IMar and Burroughs again.  Don't be concerned about JB.  He's already one of the greats and a 5Xer.  Just enjoy the end of the journey as we are near the end of his career.  I don't think he'll quit after 2019 regardless of what happens at Worlds, but I think he retires in 2020 regardless.  

Don’t think the guy you were replying to actually thinks Dake is retiring. I didn’t include Dake in my post so he was referring to me leaving him out. 

7 hours ago, Katie said:

57- Fix

65- Yianni

74- JB

86- Taylor

97- Cox

125- Gwiz

Wow Cox over Snyder? Wouldn’t be shocking but it would be pretty crazy for a 5 time finalist 3-4 time gold medalist in a row to not make the team. 

If Snyder makes the finals this year, he will be the 2nd american ever to make 5 finals in a row. 

9 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Mehki Lewis. If he decides to give it a go, I think he makes the team. He is so raw though in FS, that the senior level may give him pause on this cycle. With a full year of training though, he’d definitely jump levels even though he’s only wrestled 3 FS tournaments

Mekhi Lewis isn't making 65kg without elective surgery to have one or both of his legs removed. 

He won his junior world title at 74kg.  And I do think he could be a factor at 74kg next year, but I can't see him getting past Burroughs or Dake.  If he does, that will mean the rest of the world is in serious trouble.  

51 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Mekhi Lewis isn't making 65kg without elective surgery to have one or both of his legs removed. 

He won his junior world title at 74kg.  And I do think he could be a factor at 74kg next year, but I can't see him getting past Burroughs or Dake.  If he does, that will mean the rest of the world is in serious trouble.  

Burroughs noted Mekhi was excellent defensively when they wrestled in the room