Housebuye

Way too Early 2020 Olympics Team Picks

I think JB will be a 2020 Olympian.  Period.  He won the first match at the last second.  Lost the second match to IMAR.  But in the third, he gathered up everything he had and smothered IMAR, leaving no doubt who is the best.  I think he continues this. 

Fix, Z, JB, Wonder boy, Snyder, Grizz. 

That will be our Olympic team. 

The Olympics should add 4 weights, this six weights stuff is for the birds.  Or I would be happy if they made Swimming and Gymnastics a one day event. 

mspart

1 hour ago, RJChicago said:

Interesting, what is the Olympic Year process then? Just the Open and then Trials?

Just a few differences, but essentially yes.  You'll have the 2019 Olympic Trials Qualifier (I think this takes place of US Open), and a handful of other qualifying tournaments and then the OTT.  OTT challenge tournament finals on day 1 and best of 3 on day 2.  2019 Olympic weight medalists will sit until best of three.  2019 non Olympic weight medalist gets bye to OTT challenge tournament semis.  

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Wow Cox over Snyder? Wouldn’t be shocking but it would be pretty crazy for a 5 time finalist 3-4 time gold medalist in a row to not make the team. 

If Snyder makes the finals this year, he will be the 2nd american ever to make 5 finals in a row. 

Cox would be moving up from a smaller weight class, so Snyder would be the favorite. But I predict Cox wins.

Nobody is unbeatable. Murtazaliev beat Saitiev at the '07 Russian Nationals (when Saitiev was an 8x champ).

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Burroughs noted Mekhi was excellent defensively when they wrestled in the room

No doubt about that.  The guy is nearly impossible to score on at the college level.  

That said, there's being excellent defensively, and then there's being Kyle Dake.  Jordan too... his leg defense is often overlooked for some of his flashier traits, but he is elite there as well.  

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Cox would be moving up from a smaller weight class, so Snyder would be the favorite. But I predict Cox wins.

Nobody is unbeatable. Murtazaliev beat Saitiev at the '07 Russian Nationals (when Saitiev was an 8x champ).

I don’t agree with your prediction but it’s certainly possible. It would be unprecedented for what could be our best ever wrestler to not make the Olympic team, but the USA Freestyle team is the best it has ever been. 

It is pretty crazy that we could have

57: Fix vs World Silver - Fix could medal this year, so maybe medal vs silver

65: likely no medalist, but maybe 1 if Zain medals

74: Gold vs Gold (JB vs Dake)

86: Gold vs Gold (Taylor/Dake/Jden)

97: Gold vs Gold (Snyder/Jden)

285: Bronze vs no medal (Gwiz)

There is a fairly realistic chance 2 of our spots will be determined by 2 gold medalists wrestling each other.  Likely 74 kg and then either 86 or 97 depending on which weight Jden goes. Then add to that the number of junior world medalists who will be contending (Lee, Fix, Gable, Hall, Zahid, Deakin, Brooks  and many others) and this will be the most stacked trials we have ever had and honestly may have for a few more cycles. 

Even russia doesn’t typically have multiple multi time world/Olympic golds. We will have at least 2 (JB and snyder) with the possibility of Dake and Jden if they win world gold this year. That doesn’t include Taylor who would possibly join this list if he wasn’t injured. 

We live in a crazy time 

23 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It would be unprecedented for what could be our best ever wrestler to not make the Olympic team[.]

What?

Edited by Katie

9 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Mekhi Lewis isn't making 65kg without elective surgery to have one or both of his legs removed. 

He won his junior world title at 74kg.  And I do think he could be a factor at 74kg next year, but I can't see him getting past Burroughs or Dake.  If he does, that will mean the rest of the world is in serious trouble.  

Agreed about 65kg. I don’t think I typed that especially knowing his struggles to make 165 at times. Apologies if I did. 

57:. Fix.  Lee falls short.  Fix medals.

65:. Yianni.  Yianni medals.

74:. Dake.  OLY champ 

86:. Taylor.  OLY champ

97:. Snyder.  Silver to Sadulaev

HWT:. Gable Steveson (assuming no suspension).  Gable medals.

All weights medal at the 2020 Olympics.  It's just the hue that will vary.  

Well I was told that the next U.S. Open will be held in December in Texas. And it looks like the Olympic trials will be held at Penn St. On April 4th and 5th. So I would assume that there would be a best of three sometime after that. 

Well I was told that the next U.S. Open will be held in December in Texas. And it looks like the Olympic trials will be held at Penn St. On April 4th and 5th. So I would assume that there would be a best of three sometime after that. 

I believe Olympic Trials are all one weekend. Challenge tournament day 1 and best of three finals day 2. World medalists would sit in day 2 finals and wrestle winner of challenge tournament. There isn’t a separate best of three (like Final X) after the trials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Fix

Yianni

Burroughs

Taylor

Cox

Gwiz

All medal. Cox and Taylor gold. 

I also believe that Cox is our best chance to beat Sad.

That being said styles make matches.  While he may have a better shot at beating him than Cap, he also has a better shot at dropping a close one along the way, I think?

Well so far I haven't seen anything from Nickal that would indicate to me that he get past either Cox or Snyder. But maybe he can make the U23 team and have a great World U23 tourney and build off it. 

If we have a fully healthy Dake and Taylor..... they are on the team in my opinion. If healthy they beat Cox and JB at 163 and 189. But how serious is their injuries? I have read many blogs, twitter, etc. Nothing about what exactly the problem was on either of them. 

Edited by PRyan2012

36 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

If we a have a fully healthy Dake and Taylor..... they are on the team in my opinion. If healthy they beat Cox and JB at 163 and 189. But how serious is their injuries? I have read many blogs, twitter, etc. Nothing about what exactly the problem was on either of them. 

Heavyweight fell on Dake injury unknown 

Taylor knee but dont know what was torn

These 2 are very secret but seems like a lot of good wrestlers college and international dont tell you what exactly happened 

Wrestlers secrets i guess 

15 minutes ago, CaliWrestler said:

Heavyweight fell on Dake injury unknown 

Taylor knee but dont know what was torn

These 2 are very secret but seems like a lot of good wrestlers college and international dont tell you what exactly happened 

Wrestlers secrets i guess 

That is what I thought. Everyone can't be like Snyder or a Herbert. I love those guys for that reason. They are an open book. My boy Varner and Cael, Dake or Taylor never share nothing:-) Hard to follow guys like that.  

On 6/21/2019 at 12:37 PM, Housebuye said:

Even russia doesn’t typically have multiple multi time world/Olympic golds.

Russia is 2-3x deep at every weight to medal or win. Don't let the recent USA recent success blind you.