Housebuye

I think a lot of guys will take an Olympic Redshirt

16 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Snyder wrestled more free than folk during the year.

The World's are generally later than the Olympics therefore so are the trials.

And three of the 4 are upperweights which is a different style of wrestling.

2020 Olympics are 2-3 weeks earlier than 2016.

Snyder during his true freshman season wrestled more folk than free. That’s the year I was referencing  

The rest of your points are true and indicate exactly what I’m saying. USA wrestling does take the folkstyle season into account and for whatever reason have no choice but to do trials early this year

there is only 1 Olympic Qualifier next year.

it's May 1st. 

we need our 1's to go to that if we aren't qualified at a wt. 

imo any criticism that USAW didn't do enough to take ncaa guys into account is misguided.

with the PAN AM OG Qualifier in Mid March, the most ideal situation would have been to have our #1's set in January some time. 

Edited by Husker_Du

39 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

So also not an easy tech as you claimed he did in the past.  Just looks to me like Nevills was improving against him.  Lose by 10, lose by 9 then lose by 5 at home.

Ok my apologies for saying he teched him in the past. I really don’t know why you’re wanting to continue to harp on that part of my post. He lost by 10, lost by 5 at home and then lost by 9 a few weeks later if you want to nitpick, So not really improving, especially when you consider outside of the 5pt win for Snyder, it’s pretty clear that Nevills offensive points the other 2 matches were escapes that Snyder gave him. 

If anything that still helps confirm the whole point of my original post that Snyder probably doesn’t recommend his route because major international travel like to Siberia can have an effect on your ncaa performances a week later.

11 hours ago, tec87 said:

Ok my apologies for saying he teched him in the past. I really don’t know why you’re wanting to continue to harp on that part of my post. He lost by 10, lost by 5 at home and then lost by 9 a few weeks later if you want to nitpick, So not really improving, especially when you consider outside of the 5pt win for Snyder, it’s pretty clear that Nevills offensive points the other 2 matches were escapes that Snyder gave him. 

If anything that still helps confirm the whole point of my original post that Snyder probably doesn’t recommend his route because major international travel like to Siberia can have an effect on your ncaa performances a week later.

Oops you’re right.  Guess Nevills just got up for a huge match at home and wrestled to win the dual for PSU, which he did.

I don’t follow the NCAA performance deal though as Snyder always won while doing the international thing, but when he wrestled a full folk style season he was dominated several times during the season including being pinned in the national finals.

4 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Oops you’re right.  Guess Nevills just got up for a huge match at home and wrestled to win the dual for PSU, which he did.

I don’t follow the NCAA performance deal though as Snyder always won while doing the international thing, but when he wrestled a full folk style season he was dominated several times during the season including being pinned in the national finals.

dominated several times during the season? he lost 4 matches total. the losses besides pin in NCAA finals were 3-2, 2-1, and 4-1.  

16 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

it's May 1st. 

imo any criticism that USAW didn't do enough to take ncaa guys into account is misguided.

with the PAN AM OG Qualifier in Mid March, the most ideal situation would have been to have our #1's set in January some time. 

Agreed.  Including using the broadest ORS qualification criteria yet.  

6 hours ago, KTG119 said:

dominated several times during the season? he lost 4 matches total. the losses besides pin in NCAA finals were 3-2, 2-1, and 4-1.  

Thank you. Dominated was one of, if not the, most ridiculous things I've read on this board.

With Fix making the World team this year and potentially taking an Olympic Redshirt next year, it would really put some pressure on Spencer Lee to redshirt as well. Seems like a rather big advantage to let your main competitor get all this experience while your focus is on folk and college classes. Obviously that would be a huge hit to Iowa's championship chances so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

54 minutes ago, Flying-Tiger said:

With Fix making the World team this year and potentially taking an Olympic Redshirt next year, it would really put some pressure on Spencer Lee to redshirt as well. Seems like a rather big advantage to let your main competitor get all this experience while your focus is on folk and college classes. Obviously that would be a huge hit to Iowa's championship chances so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Agreed. 

I want to watch Spencer this year and although I’m not an Iowa fan specifically, Iowa as a serious threat to the title makes the season way more interesting and fun. I watch every Iowa dual (even the ones against bad competition) because the team is exciting. 

I’m mildly concerned that we are going to have no star power next season

On 6/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Husker_Du said:

it's May 1st. 

Three qualification pathways:

1. Top 6 at 2019 World Championships
  2. Top 2 at Pan Ams (6-9 March, 2020)
  3. Top 2 at Last Chance Qualifier (30 Apr - 3 May, 2020)

Take care of business at Worlds and the qualification calendar doesn't become an issue.

36 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Take care of business at Worlds and the qualification calendar doesn't become an issue.

Ideally we won't have qualification for any weight come down to the last chance qualifier.  In the event that we do though, we obviously need to have our best guys at that event.  

2 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

Brands might be feeling the heat after not winning any titles the past 9 years. He may have to put his foot down for Iowa's team chances ahead of Spencer Lee's Olympic Dream. 

11 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I would be shocked if we qualified all 6 freestyle weights at worlds. We would need a crazy draw at 86kg, and solid draws for 65. At 57, 65, and 125 there are at least 2 guys who are heavy heavy favorites over the american, which means a bad draw could be devastating. At 74, Burroughs is definitely top 5 in the world, but the weight is stacked so draw matters

it is very unlikely we qualify all 6 at worlds in my opinion

Edited by Housebuye