Housebuye

I think a lot of guys will take an Olympic Redshirt

Due to the Olympic trials being 2 weeks after NCAAs, it leaves our college guys who have a legitimate shot at making the Olympics little choice. Everyone gets dinged up a bit at NCAAs. Even dominant guys. NCAAs is a grind. 

Why would a guy like Spencer Lee, Fix, Yianni, Gable, Zahid, Hall, Eierman, etc risk being damaged for trials? 

This will dramatically change the team race. 

If Yianni shirts, Cornell is out of contention. I think we would see Vito and a few other take it too if Yianni does. 

Iowa cant win a title without Lee. 

OSU can’t without Fix (unlikely anyways)

PSU can without Hall potentially if Brooks doesn’t shirt and Brooks is as good as I think he is. Might be a few less points but with Cornell and Iowa out of the picture, it won’t matter

Do you think most of these guys redshirt? Am I missing something here? 

I’d be pretty surprised if Yianni doesn’t given his injury history. He’s needed major surgery either during or immediately after 2 of his last 3 folk seasons. 

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I agree. I also thought it was interesting that Snyder said he would not recommend taking the course he took. He said his advice would be to take the Olympic red shirt

Why did Snyder not recommend his course?  Too much focus on wrestling alone and not enough time preparing for one's life/career after wrestling?

20 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

Why did Snyder not recommend his course?  Too much focus on wrestling alone and not enough time preparing for one's life/career after wrestling?

Travel alone was probably one of the big reasons he advised not going his route. It’s one thing to manage school work, practice, and travel for ncaa/big ten events but then add that with international travel for a couple tournaments during the school year like the yarygin and that’s a lot on a person. There was the big tOSU and PSU dual a couple years ago at PSU that came down to Snyder needing a tech or pin for them to win and it was like a week after he competed in the Yarygin and he was so flat from the what 20+ hrs of travel that he got taken down I think twice and just came away with the major on a guy he’d teched easily prior.

Also the varying international weight classes might make for some difficult weight managing when you are at a particular weight for college. Like Zain for example trying to keep his body to be a full sized 149 as people are cutting a lot to get there but then having to make 65kg a few times in season, so he basically has to keep his weight right around 149 to not have to kill him self for the extra 6lbs to do an international event. That’s why Snyder went heavyweight. 

4 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Is there a deadline to declare an Olympic RS ?  

Is Eierman the only one who has stated he will take one thus far ?

Coach frayer said mid August I believe if my memory is correct. I think that’s when he said mehki would make his final decision 

3 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

He basically just said it was really hard to do... I think he meant wrestling wise. Like Tec said, probably travel and training both was a tough balance.

1 hour ago, headache said:

Why in the hell are trials scheduled two weeks after the NCAAs? SMH.

Why is this any kind of an issue? Do you think USAW should schedule it based on the few college aged kids that AREN'T taking an Olympic year that might possibly be a factor? They would mainly be kids that come from out of nowhere and/or decided to try out at the last minute without any substantial international training. Don't you think USAW should schedule them based on what's best overall?

How many of those guys have a realistic shot at making the team? I don't see the point in taking a OLY RS unless you have at least a 50% chance of making the team. As I see it only Spencer, Gable and Yianni have a real shot everybody else should wrestle folkstyle and then go to the trials for experience. 

57- Fix- Spencer could win

65- Zain- Yianni could win

74- Burroughs- Dake or maybe IMar have a shot but nobody currently in college could hang with those three other than Lewis and he's a longshot

86- Taylor- nobody will come close unless Cox goes down

97- Snyder- Cox??

125- Gwiz- Gable could win

Eierman, Zahid and Hall will all be outgunned by the senior men right now.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:52 PM, tec87 said:

Travel alone was probably one of the big reasons he advised not going his route. It’s one thing to manage school work, practice, and travel for ncaa/big ten events but then add that with international travel for a couple tournaments during the school year like the yarygin and that’s a lot on a person. There was the big tOSU and PSU dual a couple years ago at PSU that came down to Snyder needing a tech or pin for them to win and it was like a week after he competed in the Yarygin and he was so flat from the what 20+ hrs of travel that he got taken down I think twice and just came away with the major on a guy he’d teched easily prior.

Also the varying international weight classes might make for some difficult weight managing when you are at a particular weight for college. Like Zain for example trying to keep his body to be a full sized 149 as people are cutting a lot to get there but then having to make 65kg a few times in season, so he basically has to keep his weight right around 149 to not have to kill him self for the extra 6lbs to do an international event. That’s why Snyder went heavyweight. 

I don’t remember previous results but Snyder only beat Nevills by 5, in that dual meet.  It was not a major.

21 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Why is this any kind of an issue? Do you think USAW should schedule it based on the few college aged kids that AREN'T taking an Olympic year that might possibly be a factor? They would mainly be kids that come from out of nowhere and/or decided to try out at the last minute without any substantial international training. Don't you think USAW should schedule them based on what's best overall?

We have at least three college wrestlers with a good shot at making the olympic team. They should not be force to redshirt the entire year to has a fair chance. What's the problem with scheduling the tryouts a month after the NCAA - would that be a big imposition on someone? 

1 hour ago, headache said:

We have at least three college wrestlers with a good shot at making the olympic team. They should not be force to redshirt the entire year to has a fair chance. What's the problem with scheduling the tryouts a month after the NCAA - would that be a big imposition on someone? 

So again, you'd hold off the whole process for 3 kids that have a shot? If they really want to make the Olympics they SHOULD take the year off rather than compete in folkstyle right up until the trials. They'd have to schedule another peak in a month. And, yes, it would be an imposition on everyone else.

2 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I don’t remember previous results but Snyder only beat Nevills by 5, in that dual meet.  It was not a major.

Yeah I didn’t look up the numbers before and just went from memory. He needed the major for the tie. He beat him 14-5 a few weeks after this dual at the big tens. He beat him 19-9 the prior year in the dual. 

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

So again, you'd hold off the whole process for 3 kids that have a shot? If they really want to make the Olympics they SHOULD take the year off rather than compete in folkstyle right up until the trials. They'd have to schedule another peak in a month. And, yes, it would be an imposition on everyone else.

Relax - just a difference of opinion here.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:11 PM, buckshot1969 said:

How many of those guys have a realistic shot at making the team? I don't see the point in taking a OLY RS unless you have at least a 50% chance of making the team. As I see it only Spencer, Gable and Yianni have a real shot everybody else should wrestle folkstyle and then go to the trials for experience. 

57- Fix- Spencer could win

65- Zain- Yianni could win

74- Burroughs- Dake or maybe IMar have a shot but nobody currently in college could hang with those three other than Lewis and he's a longshot

86- Taylor- nobody will come close unless Cox goes down

97- Snyder- Cox??

125- Gwiz- Gable could win

Eierman, Zahid and Hall will all be outgunned by the senior men right now.

We saw this year what happens when people think this way and now Pat Downey is our rep at 86kg when IMO he is maybe the 5th best guy we have at 86. I'm behind him 100% now that he made the team, but he isn't our best guy. Why? Because guys didn't want to wrestle against Taylor so they stayed at non-Olympic weights. 

Eierman, Zahid and Hall are all good enough that with the right draw, on their best day and with a thing or two falling in their favor they could absolutely be our rep. Then add in injuries after making the team and it absolutely makes sense for these guys to maximize their chances of making a team. It happens most years. 

2018 - Garrett makes the team, Colon is given the spot (and medals, but not really relevant). Logan Steiber was also not expected to make the team at 65kg. Kendric Maple was going to go 61kg. 

2017 - Zain beat Molinaro to make the team

2016- Molinaro won a weight that includes Stieber, Metcalf, Pico, etc. He was not expected to get anywhere near the team. Jden Cox is the same - he won trials from the 9th seed.

2015 - Snyder, a few months from losing in NCAAs, beat an Olympic gold medalist to make the team

This constantly happens. Hall, Zahid, Eierman, and anyone else who is on or near that level should do whatever they can to make the team. I think there is a question as to whether an Olympic redshirt helps one make the team, but given NCAAs is two weeks prior to trials next year, it seems like wrestling the season would be detrimental

5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

USA Wrestling understands that guys are being pressured and/or want to wrestle the folkstyle season, especially when we see what Snyder was able to do. 

They should absolutely take the folkstyle season into account. They do every other year. 

In this case, I'm sure they did take it into account but for an unknown reason decided that they couldn't accomodate it. I trust USA Wrestling and I'm sure they have a good reason, but USA Wrestling would absolutely have the trials later if they could because of the folkstyle season, just like they always do.

Our international team is only as good as it is because of the college kids...you are making a really weird argument. Look at our most recent stars:

Snyder - made team in college, won gold

cox - made team in college, won bronze

gwiz - made team right after ncaas, won bronze

Gilman - made team right after ncaas, won silver

Now our next crop of guys want to do the same thing, and you think USA wrestling shouldn't take the college season into account?

7 hours ago, tec87 said:

Yeah I didn’t look up the numbers before and just went from memory. He needed the major for the tie. He beat him 14-5 a few weeks after this dual at the big tens. He beat him 19-9 the prior year in the dual. 

So also not an easy tech as you claimed he did in the past.  Just looks to me like Nevills was improving against him.  Lose by 10, lose by 9 then lose by 5 at home.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

USA Wrestling understands that guys are being pressured and/or want to wrestle the folkstyle season, especially when we see what Snyder was able to do. 

They should absolutely take the folkstyle season into account. They do every other year. 

In this case, I'm sure they did take it into account but for an unknown reason decided that they couldn't accomodate it. I trust USA Wrestling and I'm sure they have a good reason, but USA Wrestling would absolutely have the trials later if they could because of the folkstyle season, just like they always do.

Our international team is only as good as it is because of the college kids...you are making a really weird argument. Look at our most recent stars:

Snyder - made team in college, won gold

cox - made team in college, won bronze

gwiz - made team right after ncaas, won bronze

Gilman - made team right after ncaas, won silver

Now our next crop of guys want to do the same thing, and you think USA wrestling shouldn't take the college season into account?

Snyder wrestled more free than folk during the year.

The World's are generally later than the Olympics therefore so are the trials.

And three of the 4 are upperweights which is a different style of wrestling.

2020 Olympics are 2-3 weeks earlier than 2016.