Lurker

The Mt Rushmore topic

If you follow wrestling personalities on twitter you’ll see where a good universal “chat” has gone on since Spey put out his picture of Dave Schultz, Baumgartner, JB, and Smith on the ‘mt Rushmore of freestyle wrestling’.   

I like those four. Who you got?

Not that it's 100% etched in stone, but I agree with CP's picks. (I had the same 4 before I listened to FRL.)

John Smith, Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson and Jordan Burroughs.

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

Not that it's 100% etched in stone, but I agree with CP's picks. (I had the same 4 before I listened to FRL.)

John Smith, Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson and Jordan Burroughs.

Gable and Carl do not belong on the Free Style Mount Rushmore.  Snyder has surpassed their freestyle accomplishments

22 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Gable and Carl do not belong on the Free Style Mount Rushmore.  Snyder has surpassed their freestyle accomplishments

Ok, fair enough. If it's just American freestyle wrestlers, I see your point.

Just went back and looked at Spey's article and he did say to exclude NCAA results. 

NCAA, international wrestling plus coaching:

Gable

Smith

Cael

Vacant

Freestyle only:

Smith

Bruce

JB

Up for debate (Schultz, maybe about to be displaced by Snyder or Cox, based on 2019 & 2020 results)

Baumgartner, Smith, Burroughs, Gable. I know that there are others that have more medals than Gable, but Gable is larger than life and has become the stuff legends are made of. If I could put another head on the mountain I would pick Dave Schultz. 

3 hours ago, de4856 said:

Baumgartner, Smith, Burroughs, Gable. I know that there are others that have more medals than Gable, but Gable is larger than life and has become the stuff legends are made of. If I could put another head on the mountain I would pick Dave Schultz. 

I think that’s where Schultz gets the nod. Gable was all of that here in the US, while Schultz had that same impact all over the world. He was beloved in countries that hated us. I think his impact and resulting good Will is what put him above others with same/similar medal count. 

Freestyle: 1. Smith (6 straight golds), 2. JB (5 golds), 3. Big Bruce (Most Medals), 4. Shultz if built today / Snyder probably a 3-18 months out.

NCAA: 1. Sanderson (4x undefeated) 2. Dake (4x: 4-weights) 3. Pat Smith (First 4-xer) 4. Logie (4-xer).

Overall Combined: 1. Smith (3 NCAA; 6 Gold), 2. Cael (4xer undefeated; world silver, Oly Gold) 3. Snyder (3- xer; 3 golds and silver) 4. JB (2 xer; 5 golds = 2 bronze)

4 hours ago, scramble said:

Freestyle: 1. Smith (6 straight golds), 2. JB (5 golds), 3. Big Bruce (Most Medals), 4. Shultz if built today / Snyder probably a 3-18 months out.

NCAA: 1. Sanderson (4x undefeated) 2. Dake (4x: 4-weights) 3. Pat Smith (First 4-xer) 4. Logie (4-xer).

Overall Combined: 1. Smith (3 NCAA; 6 Gold), 2. Cael (4xer undefeated; world silver, Oly Gold) 3. Snyder (3- xer; 3 golds and silver) 4. JB (2 xer; 5 golds = 2 bronze)

Smith only won 2 NCAA.

Baumgartner, Smith. Then pick from JB, Dave Schultz, Kemp, Gable, Cael. I'm inclined to select the first two.

Maybe a more difficult question is, who would USSR/Russia pick for their four man monument? So many to chose from: Medved, Yarygin, Beloglasov, Fadzaev, Saitiev, Karelin, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty mind blowing actually. Seems like to even be in consideration for their spots you need at least 6 or 7 world titles.