Sign in to follow this  
Obelix

2020 US Open?

I know this has been talked about a bit, but in my limited internet-searching capabilities, I haven't found answers to this question:

Where and when will the US Open take place? Besides being genuinely curious about it, I am working on my wrestling trips next year, and if the Open isn't in Vegas at its usual time then I might take a year off from my usual Vegas trip.

Thanks for any responses. 

I posted on another thread, I was told that the U.S. Open will be held in December in Texas, ( unknown location ), The Olympic Trials will be at Penn St. April 4th and 5th. 

Thanks. So if the Open is right after the Trials, then we can reasonably assume that this won't be nearly as good as the years past, correct? What would be the point for guys to wrestle in the Open if they just wrestled in the Trials? 

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

Thanks. So if the Open is right after the Trials, then we can reasonably assume that this won't be nearly as good as the years past, correct? What would be the point for guys to wrestle in the Open if they just wrestled in the Trials? 

The Open would be right after the OTT but there would be no senior level tournaments. No one would enter both because there would be nothing to enter. 

This is on Flowrestling:

USA Wrestling has released the Olympic Team Trials procedures for next year, confirming a number of important things.

Among the most important one:

• Penn State will host the Trials April 4-5, 2020
  • Non-Olympic weight world medalists will receive a bye to the semifinals of the challenge tournament
  • Olympic weight medalists will once again receive byes to the finals
  • Wrestlers who qualify the weight but don't medal at worlds will get the 1 seed at Trials
  • The "last chance qualifier" for the Olympics will be in Sofia, Bulgaria from April 30-May 3

The list of ways to qualify, along with the procedures as a whole, are posted below.

48 minutes ago, mspart said:

So I'm not clear on how to qualify for the 2020 Olympic Trials.  Not for me mind you, but for a friend of mine.

mspart

It will be very similar to how you qualified for the WTT this year. the main difference is instead of the top 7 from the US Open it will (likely) be the top 7 from the Olympic Trials Qualifying Tournament held sometime in December of 2019. Not sure when USAW will make any officials announcements on the topic but that's how things went last Olympic cycle. 

4 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

It will be very similar to how you qualified for the WTT this year. the main difference is instead of the top 7 from the US Open it will (likely) be the top 7 from the Olympic Trials Qualifying Tournament held sometime in December of 2019. Not sure when USAW will make any officials announcements on the topic but that's how things went last Olympic cycle. 

From the posted procedures it will only be top 5 at the Olympic Trials Qualifier.  In 2016 they took the top 7 from the trials qualifier.  If I were to guess, the change is to keep semifinal losers from defaulting out/not weighing in again like we saw at the open this year.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:28 PM, FlyinLion said:

From the posted procedures it will only be top 5 at the Olympic Trials Qualifier.  In 2016 they took the top 7 from the trials qualifier.  If I were to guess, the change is to keep semifinal losers from defaulting out/not weighing in again like we saw at the open this year.

Now that is an interesting change...