Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How do you guys think suriano vs lee would go if the wrestled at the same weight now?(either 133 or 125). Last time they wrestled suriano couldn’t practice for like a month so I still don’t know who I think is a better wrestler. 

Edited by Wrestlingfan25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mistydawn said:

Lee beats Suriano and Fix.  Fix would never sniff an escape and would probably get turned. It would be an ugly match for Fix in folk style.  

I say thats wrong. The aspect of Fix's wrestling which is most underrated in my opinion is just how friggin tough he is. Specialized skills aside (like some kid who knows karate), I'd put him #1 p4p in the NCAA fist fight rankings. 

Now that doesn't necessarily add up to him not getting ridden, but if it's Lee (who I don't think I am going out on a limb when I say his toughness is spotty) who is supposedly going to ride him, I kinda doubt it. 

Did anyone ride him this year? Lizak didn't right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I say thats wrong. The aspect of Fix's wrestling which is most underrated in my opinion is just how friggin tough he is. Specialized skills aside (like some kid who knows karate), I'd put him #1 p4p in the NCAA fist fight rankings. 

Now that doesn't necessarily add up to him not getting ridden, but if it's Lee (who I don't think I am going out on a limb when I say his toughness is spotty) who is supposedly going to ride him, I kinda doubt it. 

Did anyone ride him this year? Lizak didn't right?

Wondering if you could specify where Lee showed spotty toughness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His proclivity to go out to a huge lead and then turn to stone over and over. That the staff hasn't let him push for a world team, or he hasn't wanted to.

I'm not calling him names, he's just not rock solid mentally. A tier below the most consistent guys (Yianni, Suriano, Fix...)

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with hammerlock. Giving up on the neat side cradle with no fight at OSU vs picc told me that. Not to say Lee isn't a hammer but he has shown signs of mental fragility here and there. I would favor fix over Lee when the two meet again (he was a 125 wrestling 13e for his team this season)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

I thought you were siding with me. My Mistake.

I do not believe some mysterious ailment is what makes lee lose.

He didn’t have the fatigue issue as a freshman or at the beginning of the season.  So he just developed some mental weakness this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I just don't agree and i never said fatigue, he has started unbelievably strong and faltered in both freshman and sophomore seasons. 

Frankly I assumed this was public knowledge. 

I watched plenty of his matches and sophomore Lee gassed much quicker than  Freshman Lee.  

You questioned his mental toughness.  He wrestled his senior year after having mono and a torn ACL.  Then wrestled his true freshman year 9 months post reconstruction.  I disagree that he has a toughness issue.  

And his conditioning was much different from the beginning of the season and then ISU match and after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

His proclivity to go out to a huge lead and then turn to stone over and over. That the staff hasn't let him push for a world team, or he hasn't wanted to.

I'm not calling him names, he's just not rock solid mentally. A tier below the most consistent guys (Yianni, Suriano, Fix...)

I'll go back to my initial post. Is it your position that A) He is as tough as anyone in the NCAA or B) He had a a horrible disease to blame all his loses on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I'll go back to my initial post. Is it your position that A) He is as tough as anyone in the NCAA or B) He had a a horrible disease to blame all his loses on. 

Yes I think he’s as tough as anyone n the NCAA.  I don’t know if he had an illness but the speculation is there and the way he wrestled throughout the season makes sense to me. I never blamed his losses on anything. Never said a word about them. I’m only talking about his toughness.  And his conditioning did improve and I think he beat picc to avenge that earlier loss if I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee gassed his freshman year too and gave up points late in matches, it's not a new thing. He didnt make it 5 minutes into the match he got stuck in with the cradle and if you can't do that in D1 (especially that late in the season) I don't know what to tell you. The loss at b1g to Rivera (late score and td in OT) also screams weak mindset. I love Spencer Lee but I see this as the chink in his armor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moose41 said:

Yes I think he’s as tough as anyone n the NCAA.  I don’t know if he had an illness but the speculation is there and the way he wrestled throughout the season makes sense to me. I never blamed his losses on anything. Never said a word about them. I’m only talking about his toughness.  And his conditioning did improve and I think he beat picc to avenge that earlier loss if I remember.

Yeah, Lee beat Picc at NCAAs. But it was a lot closer than last year. Pretty close until Lee pulled away at the end, as I recall, but Lee wasn't in any real danger in the match. But Picc can always say "I pinned the NCAA champ in 2019". That's a pretty strong bragging point. Something tells me Picc probably is more of a doer than a bragger :D 

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, Lee beat Picc at NCAAs. But it was a lot closer than last year. Pretty close until Lee pulled away at the end, as I recall, but Lee wasn't in any real danger in the match. But Picc can always say "I pinned the NCAA champ in 2019". That's a pretty strong bragging point. Something tells me Picc probably is more of a doer than a bragger :D 

If somebody can't see the difference in Spencer Lee from 2018 to 2019, they are either blind are just anti-Iowa.  To me it was very clear that he was not right, and to question his "toughness" is ridiculous.

Sure, Picc can say he pinned the national champ, but then he has to turn around and say he couldn't get it done when it really mattered.  I guess if he wants to hang his hat on that more power to him.  But I'm pretty sure he'd prefer a win in the national semi's to a pin in a relatively meaningless dual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...