13 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Thats a great point.....except that Spenser Lee, the guy you people defending to an absurd and pathetic extent, would totally disagree with you. 

Again, you're 100% wrong.  Spencer has confirmed he wasn't healthy after the Kent State dual and all the way through NCAA's, and somehow still managed to muster up enough mental toughness to win it all.. again.  You have no idea what you're talking about but keep doubling down and proving to everyone how clueless you actually are.

Edited by Dondante88

Even Tom Brands noted that "Spencer Lee is one tough character and he needs to give himself credit."  That is a bold statement coming from a coach that doesn't make excuses.  Lee was hurt the entire year that impacted his ability to train and that is well-known within the Iowa circles and by his head coach.  His freshman year he was coming off of knee surgery and he got it done.  I look forward to his match with Fix, because it won't be close.  The Fix that wrested Suriano in the NCAA finals loses by a wide margin to a Spencer Lee that wasn't 100% healthy last year.  

What exactly do you think Brands means by "He need to give himself credit"? I am astonished at how naive you people are. 

I am saying that he isn't one of the elite top tier tough guys in the NCAA, what exactly is wrong is controversial about that. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

What exactly do you think Brands means by "He need to give himself credit"? I am astonished at how naive you people are. 

I am saying that he isn't one of the elite top tier tough guys in the NCAA, what exactly is wrong is controversial about that. 

Are you seriously this dense?  He clearly means that Spencer needs to give himself more credit for what he had to go through this year to repeat as NATIONAL CHAMPION, as Spencer never made any excuses during the season.  Again, I am not sure why you choose to keep ignoring my posts, but for the third time, you are 100% wrong on all accounts in this thread.  

Also, the dude is 2 for 2 on national titles without a redshirt, but you don't think he is in the elite top tier of tough guys.  All I have to say to that is L-O-fuggin'-L!!

31 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

He gets discouraged and lays on his belly.......

Is it often? no. Are their guys who can answer 'never' to that question. Yes.

So your thoughts are he suffered no physical issue this year.  A few guys just figured him out and when he wasn’t dominating he turtled up.......until NCAAs when he beat all comers and looked his best since the first few matches of the year.

I think he has a real problem getting mentally ready for a war of a match every time, and thats perfectly understandable, because he steam rolls through people so incredibly, why not assume matches are gonna go that way. At NCAAs, the atmosphere is electric, and I think that help him get up, thats not a knock. 

If he had one problem that could be put off on a mystery disease or injury I would think it was possible, but nothing was ever mentioned even after NCAAs. He froze up on his back against picc, he stalls on bottom sometimes, he quit with 10 seconds left in the first rivera loss. This is a pattern of behavior manifest in different place. 

And for the 12th time, all I am saying is that he has a little work to do mentally. I'm getting brow beaten into lambasting the poor kid because I'm not willing to say he is as tough as anyone in the NCAA. If he was pure nails, like your claiming, he'd have competed this spring. 

21 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think he has a real problem getting mentally ready for a war of a match every time, and thats perfectly understandable, because he steam rolls through people so incredibly, why not assume matches are gonna go that way. At NCAAs, the atmosphere is electric, and I think that help him get up, thats not a knock. 

If he had one problem that could be put off on a mystery disease or injury I would think it was possible, but nothing was ever mentioned even after NCAAs. He froze up on his back against picc, he stalls on bottom sometimes, he quit with 10 seconds left in the first rivera loss. This is a pattern of behavior manifest in different place. 

And for the 12th time, all I am saying is that he has a little work to do mentally. I'm getting brow beaten into lambasting the poor kid because I'm not willing to say he is as tough as anyone in the NCAA. If he was pure nails, like your claiming, he'd have competed this spring. 

You can have your opinion but many that follow inside posters were talking about him having an illness before the ISU meet and his stamina showed.  I’m going to take their word for it because it passed the eye test for me.  

They also said his recovery would take time and his conditioning improved as the year went on and was best at nationals.  

I just disagree that he goes out and wrecks guys for 3 minutes then mentally shuts it down.  His body language changed in many matches after he worked his ass off and scored points then looked completely exhausted.  Never looked like mental frustration.  

And I haven’t brow beat you I just don’t think your view makes sense from what I saw.  I’m not on the inside but I’m going to take the perspective that now he can have the time off to get well.  

Edited by moose41

43 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Let me put it this way.

Are there guys whose body language never betrays them in the way Lee's does? 

You’ll have to be more specific.  He never reacted this way his freshman year.  He never looked mentally frustrated.  He looked completely exhausted after piss pounding guys for 3 minutes.  Why would he be mentally weak after destroying Alex Mackall for a period then being completely dead?  

And as as far as getting shut down this spring.  I’m not in the Hawkeye room but Spencer Lee has two major surgeries before he was out of high school.  Shoulder and knee.  Know a speculated major illness that almost sidelined him this season. Maybe they’re doing it so he can be 100% next year for his junior season or a possible Olympic run or both....

Edited by moose41

He absolutely did it his freshmen year. 

How come Yianni can handle annual major surgeries and still push for the world team. 

I appreciate you coming back to the table over and over, and I hate reducing issues to cliches, but it just feels like the idea is that its ok to make excuses for Lee because he is so good. 

16 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

He absolutely did it his freshmen year. 

How come Yianni can handle annual major surgeries and still push for the world team. 

I appreciate you coming back to the table over and over, and I hate reducing issues to cliches, but it just feels like the idea is that its ok to make excuses for Lee because he is so good. 

Please be specific as to which matches we can compare.  I can recall no matches his freshman year where he looked like he did in the Mackall or Russell matches first semester or the glory and Rivera  matches from midlands.  

Ok, how many comparable matches do I have to find? I'm serious. How many matches do I have find where he lost the second half of the match, with evidence, before you will say, "oh it turns out you were right". BY THE WAY you seem to think it never happened before this year.

6 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Ok, how many comparable matches do I have to find? I'm serious. How many matches do I have find where he lost the second half of the match, with evidence, before you will say, "oh it turns out you were right". 

I never said he didn’t slow down in some of his matches as a freshman.  But he never looked dead like he did as a sophomore 

It is well known that Lee wrestled hurt all year this past year.  Lee has said in numerous interviews that his favorite style is freestyle, so why isn't he wrestling?  He was injured and had to get better after battling multiple issues all season.  His training was impacted the entire year, which is why his head coach made the comments he made in several interviews he did regarding Lee's toughness and being "one tough hombre."  He knew what Lee was battling, but Iowa has always stayed mute on these issues.  Mcdonough had knee and shoulder issues his senior year and the staff never said a word.  Let's see how this year goes and then I think many of you that over the years have been consistent in critiquing Lee and trying to find ways to be negative are going to have a hard time.   

12 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

Lots of low post count guys appearing and defending Lee. Looks like the hawk fans are coming out from a long hibernation.  

Just tired of reading lies and rumors about a kid who went through a lot this year and overcame it all.  Thought I would throw in some facts, but hamerlockthree and others don't seem interested in the truth. 

31 minutes ago, Dondante88 said:

Just tired of reading lies and rumors about a kid who went through a lot this year and overcame it all.  Thought I would throw in some facts, but hamerlockthree and others don't seem interested in the truth. 

What did he go through? 

1 hour ago, Dondante88 said:

WHAT LIES AND RUMORS?!?!?!?! The only rumors are they ones you tools are making up so you can claim I'm a jerk for thinking Lee could get tougher. 

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

WHAT LIES AND RUMORS?!?!?!?! The only rumors are they ones you tools are making up so you can claim I'm a jerk for thinking Lee could get tougher. 

A middle-aged man thinking a 3x World Champ, 2x National Champion junior-to-be can get tougher.  Jesus Christ, dude.