GockeS

Mt Rushmore for your state

3 hours ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Indiana has very little international success, so it limits us to pretty much HS and college.

Angel Escobedo

Andrew Howe

They are the top 2.  The next two could be any of the following:

Reece Humphrey

Sarah Hildebrandt (world silver)

Nick Lee (depends how he finishes up)

Jason Tsirtsis

Kelvin Jackson (NCAA champ at Mich st)

Alex Tsirtsis

Brayton Lee and Mason Parris could throw themselves in the mix in the next 3-4 years

One to keep an eye on just finished his freshman year in HS, Jesse Mendez, currently ranked #2 in the country in his weight class and made the world team this year.  He has a chance to be one of Indiana's best ever.

Stevan Micic?

35 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Honorable mention: Chris Pendleton, Eric Guerrero, Joe Gonzales, John Azevedo, Zahid Valencia, Isaiah Martinez, Jesse Delgado, Marty Kistler, Stephen Neal, Dan and Adam Cuestas

+ David Lee (1st 3 time CA HS State Champ, NCAA DI Champ, multi-time NCAA DI AA), Greg Gibson (World freestyle and Olympic Greco medals, 2X NCAA finalist), Darrell Vasquez (1st 4x CA HS State Champ, multi-time NCAA DI AA)

21 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

At least you kept it to 4, unlike OP.

Illinois:

FS: Joe Williams_____ <-------that's the big gap, Sean Bormet? Tony Douglas?

GR: Current world team is a good start :D but little to choose from when it comes to World accolades :(

Is Joe Williams the only world senior freestyle medalist from Illinois in the past 40 years? If so that’s sad...USA has won 68 senior freestyle medals since 1995. I know there are guys like Terry McCann who won Olympic gold in 1960 but I’m talking in most posters lifetimes. 

Anyway my Mount Rushmore of Illinois NCAA wrestlers (past 40 years) would be:

Joe Williams

TJ Williams

Matt Lackey

Tony Ramos

Eric Tannabaum was the chosen one from IL, we came up around the same time and he was a Fargo champ back when that was *the* tournarment. Came back to watch IL state one year - Mike Benefiel and Albert White were the two next great ones that apparently never happened. I peeked a few minutes ago, and turns out IL high school is pretty good at freestyle and greco, with quite a few GR national team members. Going back to 1999 when I started HS it was all takedowns and cuts, so surprising to see that GR is the most successful style. Also proves that IL is myeh unfortunately

57 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

+ David Lee (1st 3 time CA HS State Champ, NCAA DI Champ, multi-time NCAA DI AA), Greg Gibson (World freestyle and Olympic Greco medals, 2X NCAA finalist), Darrell Vasquez (1st 4x CA HS State Champ, multi-time NCAA DI AA)

I don't think Vasquez belongs there.  Morgan McIntosh had a slightly better career(HS+college) even though Vasquez was the first to win 4 state titles.  I would put Anthony Valencia over Vasquez and McIntosh just because Valencia has done infinitely more at BIG HS national tournaments(Ironman) folkstyle/freestyle national teams/world team(cadet/jr/sr).

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

Is Joe Williams the only world senior freestyle medalist from Illinois in the past 40 years? If so that’s sad...USA has won 68 senior freestyle medals since 1995. I know there are guys like Terry McCann who won Olympic gold in 1960 but I’m talking in most posters lifetimes. 

Anyway my Mount Rushmore of Illinois NCAA wrestlers (past 40 years) would be:

Joe Williams

TJ Williams

Matt Lackey

Tony Ramos

Dan Dennis over Ramos?

20 hours ago, headshuck said:

I'll give it a try...Verne Gagne, Larry the axe henning, the Hulk, Baron Von Raschke, Mad Dog Vachon, Nick Bockwinkle, Ray The Crippler Stevens, The Crusher, Marty O'Neill, Jim Gagne, Jim Brunzel, Jesse Ventura, Man Mountain Mike, Adrian Adonis, Wally Karbo...Missing is my uncle Red Bastien...also from Minnesota.

Edited by John Morgan

33 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Dan Dennis over Ramos?

Yes head to head in freestyle but not in folkstyle/NCAA resume. Ramos went DNP-3-2-1 vs Dennis at DNQ-DNQ-5-2. The year Ramos didn’t place he was still 25-6 and 3rd in Big Tens.

I’d probably go Steve Marianetti at 4...Eric Siebert and Adam Tirapelle also in the mix. I personally think Mike Poeta is probably the 4th best NCAA wrestler from Illinois but I admit the resume doesn’t back that up. He’s my #1 pick for best college wrestler not to win an NCAA title in the past 20 years regardless of state.

52 minutes ago, John Morgan said:

I'll give it a try...Verne Gagne, Larry the axe henning, the Hulk, Baron Von Raschke, Mad Dog Vachon, Nick Bockwinkle, Ray The Crippler Stevens, The Crusher, Marty O'Neill, Jim Gagne, Jim Brunzel, Jesse Ventura, Man Mountain Mike, Adrian Adonis, Wally Karbo...Missing is my uncle Red Bastien...also from Minnesota.

Might be the Crusher, but he is not from Minnesota.

I think Greg Gagne and Kurt Hennig are in pic.

Edited by tbert

10 hours ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Indiana has very little international success, so it limits us to pretty much HS and college.

Angel Escobedo

Andrew Howe

They are the top 2.  The next two could be any of the following:

Reece Humphrey

Sarah Hildebrandt (world silver)

Nick Lee (depends how he finishes up)

Jason Tsirtsis

Kelvin Jackson (NCAA champ at Mich st)

Alex Tsirtsis

Brayton Lee and Mason Parris could throw themselves in the mix in the next 3-4 years

One to keep an eye on just finished his freshman year in HS, Jesse Mendez, currently ranked #2 in the country in his weight class and made the world team this year.  He has a chance to be one of Indiana's best ever.

As far as NCAA wrestling goes, the top four from Indiana would probably be Charles McDaniel (2x champ), Howe, Escobedo, and J. Tsirtsis.

Edited by Katie

Kyle Dake: World Champ, 4x NCAA champ, 2x NYS Champ

Troy Nickerson :  NCAA Champ, 5x NYS Champ, Head Coach U Northern Colorado 

NIck Gwiazdowski: 2X World Bronze, 2X NCAA Champ, 2X NYS Champ

Carl Adams: World 5th, 2X NCAA Champ, Head Coach of Boston University, Wrestling Hall of Fame: Distinguished Member

24 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Kyle Dake: World Champ, 4x NCAA champ, 2x NYS Champ

Troy Nickerson :  NCAA Champ, 5x NYS Champ, Head Coach U Northern Colorado 

NIck Gwiazdowski: 2X World Bronze, 2X NCAA Champ, 2X NYS Champ

Carl Adams: World 5th, 2X NCAA Champ, Head Coach of Boston University, Wrestling Hall of Fame: Distinguished Member

Tough to leave the Banach brothers out. One was our Olympic rep in 84 I believe, ncaa champ, aa. Possibly him over Nickerson? 

23 minutes ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

Tough to leave the Banach brothers out. One was our Olympic rep in 84 I believe, ncaa champ, aa. Possibly him over Nickerson? 

Ed and Lou both won gold medals in ‘84. Ed was a 3 time NCAA champ and Lou won 2. 

On 6/24/2019 at 8:45 PM, silvermedal said:

Assuming we are only picking four, Ohio's might be:

Lee Kemp---Ohio's most accomplished international competitor

Logan Stieber--One of the finest preps in US history and an accomplished international competitor

Bobby Douglas--Accomplished competitor and ground breaking collegiate coach including an NCAA title at Arizona State and the finest collegiate competitor in history, Cael Sanderson

Mike Milkovich--Most influential prep coach in Ohio history and certainly one of the finest in the nation during his era.  

Lee Kemp, David Taylor, Logan Stieber, and either Douglas or Milkovich for the final spot.

17 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Top 4:

Dave Schultz

Mark Schultz

Jake Varner

Stephen Abas

Honorable mention: Chris Pendleton, Eric Guerrero, Joe Gonzales, John Azevedo, Zahid Valencia, Isaiah Martinez, Jesse Delgado, Marty Kistler, Stephen Neal, Dan and Adam Cuestas

Pretty hard not to have Stephen Neal up there....2 time NCAA Champion, 4 time All-American, undefeated last 2 years, World Champion and FILA International  Freestyle Wrestler of the Year, played with the New England Patriots 10 years and has 3 Super Bowl rings.

1 minute ago, fadzaev2 said:

Pretty hard not to have Stephen Neal up there....2 time NCAA Champion, 4 time All-American, undefeated last 2 years, World Champion and FILA International  Freestyle Wrestler of the Year, played with the New England Patriots 10 years and has 3 Super Bowl rings.

He didn't win state in HS, so he is disqualified.