GockeS

Mt Rushmore for your state

12 hours ago, Katie said:

As far as NCAA wrestling goes, the top four from Indiana would probably be Charles McDaniel (2x champ), Howe, Escobedo, and J. Tsirtsis.

Hard for me to include somebody from the 1930's that had an extremely small bracket/limited teams to navigate through.

2 hours ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Hard for me to include somebody from the 1930's that had an extremely small bracket/limited teams to navigate through.

As hard as it might be, it’s totally possible. 

7 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Pretty hard not to have Stephen Neal up there....2 time NCAA Champion, 4 time All-American, undefeated last 2 years, World Champion and FILA International  Freestyle Wrestler of the Year, played with the New England Patriots 10 years and has 3 Super Bowl rings.

Neal definitely did great, but I would pick Varner just because he was a 2x CA state champ(3x finalist), 2x NCAA Div 1 champ(4x finalist) and won the Olympic title.  NFL accomplishments don't mean anything if you're talking about a wrestling Mt. Rushmore, but if Neal would have placed higher his NCAA freshman year(4th), then I think I would have probably had him over Varner.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:55 PM, de4856 said:

California

Dave Schultz, and Mark Schultz, Jake Varner, Henry Cejudo, and a fifth bust would be Stephen Abas. 

That's a solid Rushmore...  Stephen Neal, Patricia Miranda, Jamill Kelly, Townsend Saunders are all senior level World/Olympic medalists for the alternate mountain haha. There's another CA guy from the 80s whose name comes up every now and then in these types of discussions, but the name slips my mind right now... multiple medals in Greco I think.

19 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Lee Kemp, David Taylor, Logan Stieber, and either Douglas or Milkovich for the final spot.

Milkovich is Mt Rushmore in Ohio.  Taylor and Stieber are the weakest selections mentioned.  Lots of folks to consider who have gone unmentioned.  Go to ohiowrestling.net and read the comments on this topic.  Some fine folks got overlooked who deserve mention.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:54 AM, wildcatfan1992 said:

Indiana has very little international success, so it limits us to pretty much HS and college.

Angel Escobedo

Andrew Howe

They are the top 2.  The next two could be any of the following:

Reece Humphrey

Sarah Hildebrandt (world silver)

Nick Lee (depends how he finishes up)

Jason Tsirtsis

Kelvin Jackson (NCAA champ at Mich st)

Alex Tsirtsis

Brayton Lee and Mason Parris could throw themselves in the mix in the next 3-4 years

One to keep an eye on just finished his freshman year in HS, Jesse Mendez, currently ranked #2 in the country in his weight class and made the world team this year.  He has a chance to be one of Indiana's best ever.

Isn't Micic from Indiana?

Although any world medals will be won for Serbia, that shouldn't matter, and he's already near the top of your "others" list.

7 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Milkovich is Mt Rushmore in Ohio.  Taylor and Stieber are the weakest selections mentioned.  Lots of folks to consider who have gone unmentioned.  Go to ohiowrestling.net and read the comments on this topic.  Some fine folks got overlooked who deserve mention.

Well it’s all subjective, weighing coaching vs wrestling. Taylor beat Logan Which Has to count for something, won Ironman four times (first ever)  reached the ncaa finals four times and was voted best wrestler in the world a year ago, he Certainly had a better international career then Logan had in my opinion. I know lee kemp has more hardware,  but Google his record, he never dominated the way Taylor did and you could argue that in some ways he was never the consistent winner either.  He took more losses, that’s a fact. 

5 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Well it’s all subjective, weighing coaching vs wrestling. Taylor beat Logan Which Has to count for something, won Ironman four times (first ever)  reached the ncaa finals four times and was voted best wrestler in the world a year ago, he Certainly had a better international career then Logan had in my opinion. I know lee kemp has more hardware,  but Google his record, he never dominated the way Taylor did and you could argue that in some ways he was never the consistent winner either.  He took more losses, that’s a fact. 

'...he was never the consistent winner either.'

can you explain that a bit more? 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:35 PM, GoNotQuietly said:

Kyle Dake: World Champ, 4x NCAA champ, 2x NYS Champ

Troy Nickerson :  NCAA Champ, 5x NYS Champ, Head Coach U Northern Colorado 

NIck Gwiazdowski: 2X World Bronze, 2X NCAA Champ, 2X NYS Champ

Carl Adams: World 5th, 2X NCAA Champ, Head Coach of Boston University, Wrestling Hall of Fame: Distinguished Member

New York must be pretty deep in international style if an Olympic champ is left off.

56 minutes ago, tbert said:

New York must be pretty deep in international style if an Olympic champ is left off.

Chamizo was a champ in 2015, he only won bronze at the 2016 Olympics. That's the NYC wrestler you're talking about, right?

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Chamizo was a champ in 2015, he only won bronze at the 2016 Olympics. That's the NYC wrestler you're talking about, right?

Nope, Blatnick

9 minutes ago, tbert said:

Nope, Blatnick

Could probably also claim Wittenberg.  He didn't wrestle in high school in NJ, but started wrestling in college in NY and won the Olympics.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:48 PM, Wrestlingbcpc said:

New Jersey-   First two are set.  Bruce Baumgartner and Jordan Burroughs.   Gene Mills, 2x ncaa champ, 4xAA, Olympian and unscored  upon at Tbilisi Tournament,  Steve Mocco , 2x ncaa champ, 4 time finalist, Olympian.  Other olympians and NCAA champs to consider.  Mike Frick,  Chris Campbell, Darryl Burley, Damian Hahn, Don Pritzlaff, James Green, Frank Molinaro etc. 

What about Banach or Banach?

59 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

What about Banach or Banach?

Port Jervis , New York. Interestingly, the family did live in Sussex CountyNew Jersey. In 8th grade or so, they had a house fire. No one hurt and family moved across Delaware river to Nee York.  Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the Banach’s should be in New York’s top four. 

23 hours ago, pamela said:

That's a solid Rushmore...  Stephen Neal, Patricia Miranda, Jamill Kelly, Townsend Saunders are all senior level World/Olympic medalists for the alternate mountain haha. There's another CA guy from the 80s whose name comes up every now and then in these types of discussions, but the name slips my mind right now... multiple medals in Greco I think.

Oh yeah, just because I didn't list Miranda, Jamil and Townsend, I didn't forget about them.  The crazy thing about Jamil is that he never won a state title, then goes to Ok State, later on wins the Olympic trials, then got silver :(

The four on South Dakota's Mount Rushmore would be Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Lincoln......

Oh, you mean South Dakota's four best ever wrestlers and not the mountain in the Black Hills?  Here's what that list looks like (if the Scherr twins can share a single spot on the mountain, which I think should be OK with them, since they did share a womb together):

1)  Randy Lewis - 4-time all-american, 2 time NCAA champion, 2-time olympian, olympic gold medalist

2)  Lincoln McIlravey - 4-time NCAA finalist, 3-time NCAA champion, 3-time world medalist, olympic bronze medalist

3a) Bill Scherr -- 3-time all-american, NCAA champion, 5-time world medalist, world champion, olympic bronze medalist

3b) Jim Scherr -- NCAA champion, 2-time world silver medalist, olympian, executive director USA wrestling, USOC CEO

4) Dennis Koslowski - 2-time olympian and olympic bronze and silver medalist (greco-roman)

Honorable Mention: Brock Lesnar -- 4-time all-american, NJCAA  champion, NCAA champion, UFC champion, WWE champion, and more money in the bank than the others combined. :-)

On 6/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, KTG119 said:

Ed and Lou both won gold medals in ‘84. Ed was a 3 time NCAA champ and Lou won 2. 

Good research -facts. Thanks. Those stats are big time. The brothers who wrestled for Gable were animals. 

In 1984 the Russians and others boycotted so I do not think winning the gold has as much weight that year.

Haven't read the whole thread but Ohio:  Lee Kemp (3x World Champ, 2x State Champ and 3x NCAA Champ), Bobby Douglas (State Champ, World Medalist and NCAA Champion Coach, World/Olympic Coach), Steiber (World Champ, 4x State Champ, and 4x NCAA Champ), and then possibly Milkovich (high school legacy and tradition, but Howard Ferguson could go in this category as well if the selection is not based on purely on-mat criteria) or some other possibilities (i.e., Taylor, State, World, and NCAA Champ).

On 6/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, pamela said:

Greg Gibson? Olympic Silver in Greco, 3x World Medalist in Freestyle.

Been waiting, hoping that someone else would attempt Oklahoma, but here it goes:

Gotta start with Danny Hodge, 3x NCAA undefeated champ and Olympic silver medalist...THE trophy is named after him so he's gotta be on there.

Of course you also have to include, arguably, the greatest freestyler the US has produced in John Smith.

Then it starts to get a little tougher, I will go with Kenny Monday because of his freestyle accolades since this is the International board.

I have no idea where to go for the fourth bust, do you go with a Kendall Cross or does the first 4x NCAA champ Pat Smith go on there? Gold medalists Wayne Wells or Shelby Wilson? What about one of the toughest wrestlers that no one seems to know about on this board in Tommy Evans, 2x NCAA OW and Oly silver medalist? His Olympic coach and fellow Oklahoman Wayne Baughman (who also might deserve to be that 4th bust) said that Tommy would have probably beat Gable.

Leroy Smith? Mike Sheets? So many other names that I am probably forgetting but at least that's a start.

14 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

Andre Metzger?

Yes, absolutely, thanks for the oversight.  Now I'm stuck.  If only based on wrestling, I would go Jackson and Metzger as definites, with Johnson, Fraser, and Churella vying for the final two spots.  Johnson equals Churella in NCAA titles and both have Fraser hands down in that category, and Fraser has them both with an Olympic gold.  Behm was actually born in Washington so I'd leave him out.  Very tough call on the last two.  If I HAD to make the call right now, Jackson, Metz, Fras, and Churella.  Tomorrow, well...