Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Could Ke-Shawn Hayes win a title in 2020?

Hayes has had an unfortunate string of events. A top 10ish recruit out of high school, he hasn’t quite performed to the level tOSU fans had hoped, by a title this year would remedy that.

His redshirt year he went 29-1 with multiple wins over future qualifiers and AAs. His only loss was to Kolodzik, who he also majored. He bonuses 2/3rds of his matches

Wrestling at his optimal weight of 141, Hayes was 5-1 (loss to Kevin Jack) when he was severely injured. He was out for the rest of the season. 

Due to lineup needs, Hayes wrestled at 149. He went into NCAAs as the #5 seed. He took a loss to Troy Heilmann and then ran into Sorensen on the backside (I think? Trying to do this from memory). 

Hayes ends up at 157 due to tOSU having title contenders (and finalists!) at both 141 and 149. Honestly it’s pretty crazy that a 141 could go 157 and pick up some wins at NCAAs. 

Hayes will likely battle it out for the 141 slot. They have Sasso at 149. They also have Kinner at 141, who had a solid redshirt year last year. I expect that Hayes will win this wrestleoff. 

141 itself is far weaker than last year between graduations and Olympic shirts. 

Contenders:

Dom Demas (4th 2019)

Nick Lee (5th 2019)

Kaid Brock (2 time 5th, 2017 and 2018)

Chad Red (2 time AA, 2018 and 2019)

Mitch McKee (1 time AA, 2019)

Grant Leeth (1 time 6th at 149, 2018)

Tariq Wilson (1 time 3rd at 133 in 2018)

Hayes is right in the mix with these guys, especially given his top game. It would be exciting to watch him close out his career in top  

Edited by Housebuye

If he can make 141 comfortably, then I think he is definitely a contender.  Not a strong weight.  You would think more than just Wilson would want to bump up from 133. Guys like Bridges, Desanto, Gomez, and Phillippi all have the frame to move up.  

If Ke-Shawn gets to 141 he will be a legitimate contender.  His only gas tank issue is lugging around guys 8 lbs. of muscle heavier.  He is technically solid.  He didn’t have any gas tank issues against Micah, who barely beat him in 2 close wrestle offs then finished 2nd in the country.

Nick Lee is a very good wrestler but I think KH beats him.

housebuy did a great job of outlining his issues.

4 minutes ago, Sstern said:

If Ke-Shawn gets to 141 he will be a legitimate contender.  His only gas tank issue is lugging around guys 8 lbs. of muscle heavier.  He is technically solid.  He didn’t have any gas tank issues against Micah, who barely beat him in 2 close wrestle offs then finished 2nd in the country.

Nick Lee is a very good wrestler but I think KH beats him.

housebuy did a great job of outlining his issues.

Are you seriously sighting wrestle offs to say he has no gas tank issues?

Joe Smith had no gas tank issues against Rodgers.

Edited by boconnell

10 hours ago, boconnell said:

Are you seriously sighting wrestle offs to say he has no gas tank issues?

Joe Smith had no gas tank issues against Rodgers.

You seriously think they coasted in the 3rd while wrestling for their prime weight class they would hold all year?  These guys aren’t Joe Smith, a notorious gasser.

He's faced many of the same issues that Micah had with regard to weight class and hasn't performed as well.  I would love to see him finish strong and believe he has the talent.  But he has to learn how to eke out wins over quality guys.  

I wish he would have gone to Mizzou.  I felt that way when he signed with tOSU.  He would have had a more ideal weight every year, and I think he would have developed just as well if not better.  I know it is all hindsight, but being in the middle of the Jordans and McKenna was not ideal.  Personally, I think Mizzou develops athletes as good or better than tOSU.  tOSU has a recruiting edge and is in the Big10 which favors them. However, Mizzou is just a step away every year with less to pulls from. Regardless, I wish him the best.  He deserves it.  He has paid his dues.

I think it’s all sort of speculation. I mean, how does being approximately #15 in the nation Wrestling up two weight classes compare to being 4th at your true weight? No idea.