Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Could Ke-Shawn Hayes win a title in 2020?

Recommended Posts

IF Ke-Shawn can get back down to 141 AND he's locked in, I think he's definitely in AA contention.  I just worry about the latter.  

I hate to play body language doctor, but there were plenty of times, especially late in the season last year, where he didn't exactly look like he wanted to be out there. I get that he might feel hard done by the situation... injury... transfer... Micah drops to 149... all out of his control.  Still, it's too hard to succeed at this level if you don't want it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, balanceseeker said:

If Keyshawn does do well and finish as a high AA does he apply for a 6th year medical waiver?  He would seem to have a better case than some who were recently granted them.

He'll definitely qualify if he wants to.  Wrestled less than 1/3 of that season.  I think he's a pretty good student though, so perhaps he'd be ready to move on to his next venture.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scramble said:

I wish he would have gone to Mizzou.  I felt that way when he signed with tOSU.  He would have had a more ideal weight every year, and I think he would have developed just as well if not better.  I know it is all hindsight, but being in the middle of the Jordans and McKenna was not ideal.  Personally, I think Mizzou develops athletes as good or better than tOSU.  tOSU has a recruiting edge and is in the Big10 which favors them. However, Mizzou is just a step away every year with less to pulls from. Regardless, I wish him the best.  He deserves it.  He has paid his dues.

But he would have been in the middle of Eierman and Leeth/Mauler right?  I don't see how that would end up any better for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scramble said:

I wish he would have gone to Mizzou.  I felt that way when he signed with tOSU.  He would have had a more ideal weight every year, and I think he would have developed just as well if not better.  I know it is all hindsight, but being in the middle of the Jordans and McKenna was not ideal.  Personally, I think Mizzou develops athletes as good or better than tOSU.  tOSU has a recruiting edge and is in the Big10 which favors them. However, Mizzou is just a step away every year with less to pulls from. Regardless, I wish him the best.  He deserves it.  He has paid his dues.

Wasn't it really primarily the McKenna transfer that started KeShawn's travels up the line up? It's as if he was recruited over (in a way). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gantry said:

But he would have been in the middle of Eierman and Leeth/Mauler right?  I don't see how that would end up any better for him. 

Leeth wouldn’t have transferred and mauller would’ve redshirted this year. He would’ve worked in the lineup for at least 3 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

He'll definitely qualify if he wants to.  Wrestled less than 1/3 of that season.  I think he's a pretty good student though, so perhaps he'd be ready to move on to his next venture.  

Keyshawn graduated this Spring so I assume that if he is enrolled and competing this year (19/20) that he is pursuing a graduate degree and has decided to stick around Columbus for another 2 years.  I really hope it works out and he gets 2 years at his optimal weight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great if Keyshawn wanted two more years and could get it.  I don't know where he sits with being eligible for another year, but you would think with the way 5 and 6 years are becoming more normal that if he is eligible he could get it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, balanceseeker said:

Keyshawn graduated this Spring so I assume that if he is enrolled and competing this year (19/20) that he is pursuing a graduate degree and has decided to stick around Columbus for another 2 years.  I really hope it works out and he gets 2 years at his optimal weight.  

Business major, right?  Guess he could go for an MBA at Fisher.  They also have a 1 year SMF program that probably makes more sense for someone coming right out of undergrad anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Leeth wouldn’t have transferred and mauller would’ve redshirted this year. He would’ve worked in the lineup for at least 3 years 

He worked in 3 years at tOSU as well.  And you can't be sure that Leeth wouldn't have transferred in at a weight up. Heck McKenna transferred in AT his weight.  Regardless the situation would have been very similar at Mizzou, don't see how that would have been a better fit.  Would have spent most of his career outside his ideal weight, and quite possibly two weights outside it like at Ohio State. 

Edited by Gantry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gantry said:

He worked in 3 years at tOSU as well.  And you can't be sure that Leeth wouldn't have transferred in at a weight up. Heck McKenna transferred in AT his weight.  Regardless the situation would have been very similar at Mizzou, don't see how that would have been a better fit.  Would have spent most of his career outside his ideal weight, and quite possibly two weights outside it like at Ohio State. 

He would’ve been at a more natural weight at Mizzou. 

2017 - 141 (I’m assuming Eierman would’ve started down - if not Hayes wouldn’t have been in the lineup)

2018 - 149 (no Leeth)

2019 - 149 (no Leeth, mauller redshirt - mauller only came out because Leeth got injured)

2020 - 141 (no Leeth)

obviously we can’t know for sure. He could’ve been beaten out for a spot, gotten injured like he did at tOSU, and plenty of other scenarios. It is interesting however to consider he could’ve been a 3-4 time AA if he went to Mizzou. This in no way reflects poorly on Hayes or tOSU but still worth discussing imo. 

I lost faith in Hayes AAing at 157 when he lost to Barone from Illinois. He also screwed himself in 2018 with that loss to Rutgers in the last few seconds (de Luca I think?). Killed his draw, then at NCAAs he has some combination of Sorensen and Deakin on the backside. 

 He has had some terrible luck, although much of it came from minor match mistakes. Still it is clear he has the talent to be a 4 time AA and may end up with none (or 2 - he could get a medical maybe and end up AAing this year and next. Would be quite the turnaround)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...