Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What is his degree in?  Just curious.

One thing I would imagine is that if he moves from Nebraska back to New Jersey he will have to downsize in homes :-).

Financially though, if he has been wise (I'm guessing he has) he should be fine financially.  He may not be able to not work like a NBA of NFL player, but he has to have brought in around a million dollars since college between endorsements, winnings etc.  Lincoln is not a super expensive town.  I would be surprised if he owes much on that house.  The money he has made living in Nebraska I am sure has stretched much further than someone on one of the coasts.  Had he lived in New Jersey during his runs he probably would have been spending what he made.  In Nebraska, though you would think he has some money put back.

It would be interesting to know about what he would make.  If he wins another gold he should get an additional deal somewhere.

 

Anyway, back to the original question... does anyone know what he majored in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, whaletail said:

If that's what you gleaned from my post, what's the point?

Dake is an impressive wrestler. But as it relates to Dake vs. JB, I think Dake is old enough to not need excuses.

I mean, what individual events has Dake actually won so far? Let's see...

  • 2018 Worlds
  • 2018 Yasar Dogu
  • 2017 Grand Prix of Paris
  • 2014 Granma Cup

That's it, right? Plus he's 1-7 against JB.

I just happen to think JB is clearly better than Dake at freestyle. I think the available evidence is overwhelming. I don't understand all the excuses.

(Again, no disrespect to Dake.)

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Katie said:

Dake is an impressive wrestler. But as it relates to Dake vs. JB, I think Dake is old enough to not need excuses.

I mean, what individual events has Dake actually won so far?

Most recent world championship event (2018):  Dake - Gold; JB - Bronze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Most recent world championship event (2018):  Dake - Gold; JB - Bronze

True.  But  Dake was in a non olympic weight so the competition is suspect.  And the fact that the year before Dake got no medal and JB got Gold. 

I don't think Dake takes JB.  I think JB will be our Olympian in 2020.  I think he hangs it up after that.  9 years is a lot, to be the best. 

Other than the mighty Bruce, has anyone been #1 for as long as JB?

mspart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Most recent world championship event (2018):  Dake - Gold; JB - Bronze

Like I said, there is overwhelming evidence that JB is better than Dake at freestyle. 2018 Worlds is merely one data point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mspart said:

True.  But  Dake was in a non olympic weight so the competition is suspect.  And the fact that the year before Dake got no medal and JB got Gold. 

I don't think Dake takes JB.  I think JB will be our Olympian in 2020.  I think he hangs it up after that.  9 years is a lot, to be the best. 

Other than the mighty Bruce, has anyone been #1 for as long as JB?

mspart

  • Baumgartner made 15 world/Olympic teams and medaled 13 times (5 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze).
  • D. Schultz made 9 teams and medaled 7 times (2 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze).
  • JB made 9 teams (like you said) and medaled 7 times (5 gold, 2 bronze). Of course, JB still has a chance to make it 8 medals in 9 years.

I don't believe anyone else has made 9 or more teams.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Katie said:
  • Baumgartner made 15 world/Olympic teams and medaled 13 times (5 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze).
  • D. Schultz made 9 teams and medaled 7 times (2 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze).
  • JB made 9 teams (like you said) and medaled 7 times (5 gold, 2 bronze). Of course, JB still has a chance to make it 8 medals in 9 years.

I don't believe anyone else has made 9 or more teams.

Thanks for confirming. 

mspart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he finishes out with medals in each and gold next year: 10 straight teams. Nine medals (broken ankles and acl’s included), 6 gold, 2 Olympic Gold. When you factor in how much more stiff the competition (fewer weight classes, Russians spread out throughout the former Soviet republics; “free agency” to the extent you have Russians competing for Bahrain and Cubans competing for Italy; etc) that would be the most impressive career in American history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he finishes out with medals in each and gold next year: 10 straight teams. Nine medals (broken ankles and acl’s included), 6 gold, 2 Olympic Gold. When you factor in how much more stiff the competition (fewer weight classes, Russians spread out throughout the former Soviet republics; “free agency” to the extent you have Russians competing for Bahrain and Cubans competing for Italy; etc) that would be the most impressive career in American history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Smith has a lock on the most impressive career. 6 in a row is 6 in a row. Until broken, that's the gold(est) standard. There's a point at which being nearly perfect for longer beats being perfect for shorter, but six years is a very long time in wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 12:46 PM, Katie said:

Why do you think Dake is better? I’m pretty sure JB is 7-1 against 

I don't see any place in there where he said he thought they Dake was better. He said he thought Dake would win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, Katie said:

Dake is an impressive wrestler. But as it relates to Dake vs. JB, I think Dake is old enough to not need excuses.

I mean, what individual events has Dake actually won so far? Let's see...

  • 2018 Worlds
  • 2018 Yasar Dogu
  • 2017 Grand Prix of Paris
  • 2014 Granma Cup

That's it, right? Plus he's 1-7 against JB.

I just happen to think JB is clearly better than Dake at freestyle. I think the available evidence is overwhelming. I don't understand all the excuses.

(Again, no disrespect to Dake.)

There is no question that Burroughs is a better freestyler than Dake. It's not open for discussion. It's also not open for discussion that John Smith is better than Dake but who would you take in a match right now? That's everybody's point that is picking Dake, if he drops down, is AGE. JB had one day he had to wrestle, final X, and it took him the best two out of three to beat Martinez who had wrestled two big tournaments already. If JB doesn't win a medal this year he's going to have to go through the trials tournament and then, assuming he wins it, come back the next day and beat somebody two out of three. Can he do it? Of course but every year he gets a little worse. It's nothing against him it's called AGE. He was very lucky to beat Imart. Not lucky in that he got calls but lucky in that it was close. What's going to happen when he is a year older? That's what everybody's trying to get across that JB fans don't seem to get. And there is no bigger JB fan than me. I keep telling my son look at what he did in high school and where he eventually got. For that reason he is by far my favorite wrestler. But asking him to be better than he was this year, next year, is asking an awful lot. And he was damn close to losing this year. And next year there will be even more competitors in his weight class because of the reduction in number of classes at the Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2019 at 10:22 PM, scramble said:

What is his degree in?  Just curious.

One thing I would imagine is that if he moves from Nebraska back to New Jersey he will have to downsize in homes :-).

Financially though, if he has been wise (I'm guessing he has) he should be fine financially.  He may not be able to not work like a NBA of NFL player, but he has to have brought in around a million dollars since college between endorsements, winnings etc.  Lincoln is not a super expensive town.  I would be surprised if he owes much on that house.  The money he has made living in Nebraska I am sure has stretched much further than someone on one of the coasts.  Had he lived in New Jersey during his runs he probably would have been spending what he made.  In Nebraska, though you would think he has some money put back.

It would be interesting to know about what he would make.  If he wins another gold he should get an additional deal somewhere.

 

Anyway, back to the original question... does anyone know what he majored in?

According to his Nebraska bio, sociology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I still think Smith has a lock on the most impressive career. 6 in a row is 6 in a row. Until broken, that's the gold(est) standard. There's a point at which being nearly perfect for longer beats being perfect for shorter, but six years is a very long time in wrestling. 

It’s an interesting topic. Its tough too top six in a row. But I definitely think JB won his golds in a tougher environment. It’s probably apples to oranges to compare them but fun to do so anyway. 

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally get the breakup of the Soviet Union and the fewer weights argument. But in comparing JB’s competition and Smith’s, I don’t know if they were such major factors or factors at all. Smith would likely be competing at 65 kg with the new weigh-in rules. The current environment is not tougher than the average of Smith’s year’s at 62 kg in my opinion. I also think Smith dealt with tougher rules than JB for both guys’ styles, e.g. 1-point laces (hand to hand), 1-pt TDs, lack of a pushout, lack of a shot clock, aggressor gets 2 when move is initiated much more regularly than in the past when a defensive guy could more easily score exposure, etc.

Smith is the American GOAT until someone reels off seven in a row. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Smith is the American GOAT until someone reels off seven in a row. 

That’s a bit drastic isn’t it?

For example, if Saitiev was American he’d be the GOAT despite never winning more than four in a row. Don’t you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

There is no question that Burroughs is a better freestyler than Dake. It's not open for discussion. It's also not open for discussion that John Smith is better than Dake but who would you take in a match right now? That's everybody's point that is picking Dake, if he drops down, is AGE. JB had one day he had to wrestle, final X, and it took him the best two out of three to beat Martinez who had wrestled two big tournaments already. If JB doesn't win a medal this year he's going to have to go through the trials tournament and then, assuming he wins it, come back the next day and beat somebody two out of three. Can he do it? Of course but every year he gets a little worse. It's nothing against him it's called AGE. He was very lucky to beat Imart. Not lucky in that he got calls but lucky in that it was close. What's going to happen when he is a year older? That's what everybody's trying to get across that JB fans don't seem to get. And there is no bigger JB fan than me. I keep telling my son look at what he did in high school and where he eventually got. For that reason he is by far my favorite wrestler. But asking him to be better than he was this year, next year, is asking an awful lot. And he was damn close to losing this year. And next year there will be even more competitors in his weight class because of the reduction in number of classes at the Olympics.

If you want to argue that you project Dake to be better than Burroughs next year, that’s fair. 

As an aside, I don’t read as much into JB’s close matches as you do. JB is facing world class athletes who have been training specifically to beat him. It’s not surprising that he drops a few matches here and there. In fact his record over the past nine years is pretty remarkable. 

Although I expect JB to be in great form next year, nobody is unbeatable, and Dake is very dangerous (as are iMar and Nolf).

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katie said:

 

As an aside, I don’t read as much into JB’s close matches as you do. JB is facing world class athletes who have been training specifically to beat him. 

Which is a wash because he was only training the beat Martinez. They both were only training to beat each other since they knew they were going to face each other in final X. But if he doesn't metal, you'll have no idea who he's going to face. Just think about what he would have to do next year compared to this year if he doesn't metal. The 2020 trials, he would have to win probably three or four matches the first day make scratch weight again the second day and beat somebody two out of three, all while being another year older. Not to mention all the people who are dropping to the Olympic weights to make it even harder. He can certainly win but there's no chance it'll be harder than it was this year and he barely made it this year. And unlike some wrestlers, he always gets everybody's best effort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Which is a wash because he was only training the beat Martinez. They both were only training to beat each other since they knew they were going to face each other in final X. But if he doesn't metal, you'll have no idea who he's going to face. Just think about what he would have to do next year compared to this year if he doesn't metal. The 2020 trials, he would have to win probably three or four matches the first day make scratch weight again the second day and beat somebody two out of three, all while being another year older. Not to mention all the people who are dropping to the Olympic weights to make it even harder. He can certainly win but there's no chance it'll be harder than it was this year and he barely made it this year. And unlike some wrestlers, he always gets everybody's best effort

I wasn't arguing that the iMar series was unfair to JB. I'm saying that JB taking a loss does not worry me. In nine years, he's 175-8. Nobody has beaten him twice. That's a fantastic record given that the best wrestlers in the world have been gunning for him almost the entire time.

I don't understand what you're trying to say about making the Olympic team next year. It'll be difficult, but it always has been difficult. Then comes the Olympics, which are even more difficult (for whoever makes the team).

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake beats JB comfortably next year as in he is no real danger of losing the match. Unless JB gets a bye to the final best of three series I see him losing in the mini tourney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTC said:

Dake beats JB comfortably next year as in he is no real danger of losing the match. Unless JB gets a bye to the final best of three series I see him losing in the mini tourney.

I don’t think it’s certain JB makes the 2020 Olympic team. 

But to suggest he has no chance seems a little too emotional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...