I have Burroughs winning it this year because I think he is wrestling great, both beating up on Chamizo and showing us he can still dig and win (Gomez and Imar). But look at this pattern, he OWNS the odd years.

2011- Gold

2012 - Gold

2013 - Gold

2014 - Bronze

2015 - Gold

2016 - DNP

2017 - Gold

2018 - Bronze

2019 - If the pattern holds, its a gold! :)

4 hours ago, RJChicago said:

Classy response. I've always liked your posts and never more than now. It can be as simple as that, I wish all of us would say "My bad" or "I changed my mind" or "I don't agree, but those are good points" a bit more often.

I appreciate the response as well, and just to be clear, as big a Dake fan as I am, I'm not all certain he'll beat Burroughs, whether the latter medals this year or not (although I believe he'll medal).

Dake sometimes at least looks as if he's wrestling not to lose (against Ringer and Valencia in 2018, and in the World finals later that year, as well as during long stretches of all four Burroughs matches in 2017), and just like shutting it down with a close lead early in the second period, that gets everyone in trouble.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:26 PM, mattchristensen112 said:

I have Burroughs winning it this year because I think he is wrestling great, both beating up on Chamizo and showing us he can still dig and win (Gomez and Imar). But look at this pattern, he OWNS the odd years.

2011- Gold

2012 - Gold

2013 - Gold

2014 - Bronze

2015 - Gold

2016 - DNP

2017 - Gold

2018 - Bronze

2019 - If the pattern holds, its a gold! :)

If the pattern holds into 2020 then it's a DNP in Tokyo.

Dake

In the 1980s the torch was passed twice to guys who were second on the ladder for many years. First Schultz over Kemp and then Monday over Schultz. Both cases were similar. The older world champ was bested after after years of mostly losing. 

On 6/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, ohcomeon said:

Because every year Burroughs ages he loses a bit of freakish athleticism, which has always been a large part of his success. Theres a reason he's got a bronze and a DNP in the last 3 years, and it's because he doesnt have the same explosiveness he had when he started at the sr level. 

I think you nailed it.  I never thought I'd see anyone that I thought was a better athlete than Kenny Monday, but here I am marveling at what a finely tuned physical specimen Jordan Burroughs is.  He's also unbelievably appealing to the camera.  He is the picture of confidence yet humble, smart, and well spoken and just...likable.  We couldn't make a better representative for our sport if we had a hundred years.  All good things must eventually come to an end, and it will be a sad day when JB is not our 74 guy, but he won't be unemployed for long.  

15 hours ago, Lurker said:

True but then there were guys who just kept staying at the top...Smith, Baumgartner, Vanni...

Smith retired before he got old, to be fair. Big Bruce is the right example. But I can’t think of any other US world champ with JB-level longevity. 

On 6/25/2019 at 4:13 PM, ohcomeon said:

Because every year Burroughs ages he loses a bit of freakish athleticism, which has always been a large part of his success. Theres a reason he's got a bronze and a DNP in the last 3 years, and it's because he doesnt have the same explosiveness he had when he started at the sr level. 

Wonder why they locked the racism thread.

Edited by jackwebster