Sign in to follow this  
steamboat_charlie v2

European Games

I didn't see a thread on it, so here you go.   

Finals Matchups
57kg)  Stevan MICIC (SRB) vs. Mahir AMIRASLANOV (AZE)   
74kg)  Zaurbek SIDAKOV (RUS) vs. Soner DEMIRTAS (TUR) 
86kg)  Ali SHABANAU (BLR) vs. Dauren KURUGLIEV (RUS) 
125kg)  Givi MATCHARASHVILI (GEO) vs. Anzor KHIZRIEV (RUS) 

74, 86, and 125 all went pretty chalk.

57kg went off the rails a bit with world #1 and world #2 going down.  This whole weight internationally is seriously up in the air.  Any number of guys could make the finals or even win it on the right day, including Micic and maybe even Fix.  Micic is in the finals with wins over Lomtadze, Atli, and Markovich.  All ranked guys--terrific showing from him so far, he's just sporting the wrong red white and blue singlet. 

Also FYI, no Chamizo at 74kg. Injury, doesn't sound too serious though.  

Interestingly enough Micic and Amine medaled at different weights than they wrestles the college season at.

Micic went 57kg(125lbs) down 8lbs from 133lb NCAA season. He was decent sized 133lber.

Amine went 86kg(189lbs) up 15lbs from 174lb NCAA season. He was barely average as far as size goes for a 174lber.

Well, from German perspective "good results" from the freestyle team. I remember a few years ago everybody said Dudarov will always be Nr 4/5 in Germany but he improved well and won bronze against silver world medalist. 

Nina hemmer will wrestle tomorrow for bronze, hopefully she can win but to be honest, I'm looking forward to world championships greco because we got a few wrestlers with chances to medal

Edited by Graverobber

45 minutes ago, Graverobber said:

Well, from German perspective "good results" from the freestyle team. I remember a few years ago everybody said Dudarov will always be Nr 4/5 in Germany but he improved well and won bronze against silver world medalist. 

Nina hemmer will wrestle tomorrow for bronze, hopefully she can win but to be honest, I'm looking forward to world championships greco because we got a few wrestlers with chances to medal

Always good to see more posts from a non-American perspective, thanks!  Will keep an eye out for Hemmer...

Edited by Gantry

20 hours ago, Gantry said:

Always good to see more posts from a non-American perspective, thanks!  Will keep an eye out for Hemmer...

She won 2-0 :) with luzie manke in repechage and francy rädelt in the finals we may got two more medals. I'm looking forward to 97kg and 130gr, etka Sever and Jello Kramer got U23 medals and I hope they can win a few fights or even a medal, but Sever wasn't impressive at German nationals last month, he placed 5th. 

Here are the final results -

57kg - Amirslanov def Micic 9-1

65kg Haji Aliyev def Kinche 10-2

74kg Sidakov fall over Soner Demirtas

86kg Dauren Kurugliev def Ali Shabanau 3-2

97kg Sadulaev over Nurmagomed Gazhiyev (Injury Default)

125kg - Anzhor Khizriev def Gini Matchrashvli 8-2

7 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I know this sound like a stupid thing to say about a returning world champ... but Sidakov is looking good.  Too good.  

I underestimated him a bit previous to the event, because of his layoff since worlds, hopefully dake will in the same place as Sidakov when coming back from injury. But the whole Russian freestyle men team looked really good, 4 gold and 2 bronze, not bad. 

23 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Man Sidakov looks amazing. I think JB beats everyone else. Hopefully he doesn’t end up on the same side as Sidakov...hw might be able to win (JB usually finds a way to win) but he will be the underdog 

They said the same thing about Tsabolov when he laid waste to his side of his bracket at 2017 Worlds.  I even bought into it and thought that JB may have to settle for Silver at that point.  Then JB came out on a mission and beat him.

Having said that, yes, Sidakov looks great and I am worried.  Both are great wrestlers meeting at a point in their careers, heading in the opposite direction.  

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Man Sidakov looks amazing. I think JB beats everyone else. Hopefully he doesn’t end up on the same side as Sidakov...hw might be able to win (JB usually finds a way to win) but he will be the underdog 

Well.  Like JB himself said, nobody has ever beaten him twice.  I like his chances in the rematch, even though Sidakov looks like he's raised his level.  

The adjustments that Burroughs made between matchups with Chamizo gives me some level of confidence that he has the tools to put together a gameplan to beat Sidakov.  It won't be easy, though.  

56 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Ghadzimagomedov?  I thought he was hurt.  

He is.  He stated his intentions are still to give 74 a go this year in preparation for next year, though.

I expected an approach similar to Dake's, but nothing has come out in a while on him(Ghadzi).