cjc007

Break Dancing in the Olympics!

It’s all about attracting new Millennial viewers and giving the host country an edge on winning some medals.   France has a huge break dancing culture, so they somehow convinced the Olympic committee that adding it to their game would help with this.  The Olympics are further bluring your line of what is an actual sport and just wanting anything athletic or skill based that they think will help attract attention so they can make money.  Im fine with the host country add a couple showcase events to their games that are unique to their regions culture, but not at the expense of possibly taking away from the actual sports that already existed in the games.    

Edited by MadMardigain

2 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

It’s all about attracting new Millennial viewers and giving the host country an edge on winning some medals.   France has a huge break dancing culture, so they somehow convinced the Olympic committee that adding it to their game would help with this.  The Olympics are further bluring your line of what is an actual sport and just wanting anything athletic or skill based that they think will help attract attention so they can make money.  Im fine with the host country add a couple showcase events to their games that are unique to their regions culture, but not at the expense of possibly taking away from the actual sports that already existed in the games.    

Medals in demonstration sports don't count towards a country's medal count.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/09/ioc-announce-plans-to-make-2020-tokyo-olympics-more-youthful-urban-women 

From the article...The IOC president, Thomas Bach said the Games will be “more youthful, more urban and include more women.” A total of 48.8% of the Tokyo 2020 quotas will be female, a record, compared with 46.1% at Rio 2016. 

The quote by Bach seems to be discriminatory towards mature athletes (what age is that?) and bit more hipster.  Make sure nothing in the Olympics appeals to some country hick.  

4 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Medals in demonstration sports don't count towards a country's medal count.

You bring back anything your country can try to brag about and it at least counts to them. Beside are they talking about making it just a demonstration sport or trying to make it into a regular one for those games.  

My gut reaction is to say "WTF???" but if you think about it, how is break dancing much different from figure skating? Or floor exercise in Gymnastics? Some of the moves break dancers pull off are unbelievable athletic and I'd be more than willing to bet that there are more amateur break dancers than there are figure skaters. 

I wonder if it will be a "gender fluid" event...

52 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

My gut reaction is to say "WTF???" but if you think about it, how is break dancing much different from figure skating? Or floor exercise in Gymnastics? Some of the moves break dancers pull off are unbelievable athletic and I'd be more than willing to bet that there are more amateur break dancers than there are figure skaters. 

I wonder if it will be a "gender fluid" event...

It’s not much different than gymnastics floor or horse in several of the movements, so they can probably just add it into that area since it already dominates TV time anyway.  

I guess they also need to decided where to draw the line between something that takes athleticism, something that uses a specific skill, something that can be judged, and something that is considered a world wide sport enough to worthy of the Olympics.   

Edited by MadMardigain

20 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

The same dumb@sses who cut baseball and softball, and tried to cut wrestling from the Olympics.

Relatively few countries play baseball and softball, so cutting them makes sense. 

Edited by Katie

Relatively few countries play baseball and softball, so cutting them make sense. 
Golf and Tennis should go too.

A Grand Slam or Major Title dwarfs an Olympic Gold Medal in both sports.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Relatively few countries play baseball and softball, so cutting them make sense. 

Almost no European countries play baseball, but it is huge in the Far East (Korea,Japan, taiwan)  Carribean, Central and South America, plus USA and Mexico

Relatively few countries play  softball

who cares? horse dancing and fake sword fighting have been olympic sports for over a century. i'd rather the olympics include stuff thats fun to watch than stuff that is literally impossible to enjoy as a spectator like rifle target practice or sailing. most of us will end up watching the break dancing competition and it will be fine, no problems for anyone. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

who cares? horse dancing and fake sword fighting have been olympic sports for over a century. i'd rather the olympics include stuff thats fun to watch than stuff that is literally impossible to enjoy as a spectator like rifle target practice or sailing. most of us will end up watching the break dancing competition and it will be fine, no problems for anyone. 

To be sure the best way to be an Olympic sport is to always have been an Olympic sport. If you were starting the Olympics today, any sports would be out and others would be in.

17 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Sarcasm.

Did it go over your head?

The word you are looking for is actually hyperbole.  Either way, your post doesn't make any sense because breakdancing can be a good sport.  Parts of breakdancing are already incorporated into the floor routines in gymnastics.  There are tons of olympic sports, and it's strange that you seem to think every one of them needs to get your approval.  As wrestling fans, we are lucky about that because plenty of other people feel that wrestling is a stranger sport than breakdancing.  

The word you are looking for is actually hyperbole.  Either way, your post doesn't make any sense because breakdancing can be a good sport.  Parts of breakdancing are already incorporated into the floor routines in gymnastics.  There are tons of olympic sports, and it's strange that you seem to think every one of them needs to get your approval.  As wrestling fans, we are lucky about that because plenty of other people feel that wrestling is a stranger sport than breakdancing.  
Break dancing and gynanatsics aren't comparable. One takes a ton of dedication, the other takes a boom box and a pair of Air Jordans.

We now have six weight classes for wrestling in the Olympics.

The last thing we need is break dancing. I would love to see the breakers due an "iron cross" on the high rings.

What's next? Competitive eating?