Sign in to follow this  
executionery4145

Jimmy Fleming ?

I do a variation of it, but you'd need to really have him show you.  The way I developed it was using leverage. You clamp on the headlock, far arm under the arm, near arm over and locked across the jaw.  You use your outside shoulder to push the head/neck down while maintaining the tightest lock possible.  This is where people think it's a choke because you're putting a lot of pressure forward on the head/neck.  The thing you want to do is force his head down onto the mat, which if you circle out in front a bit helps.  Once you get the head down you hip heist over and pull.  It's a pretty natural motion, but again it relies on having as tight a lock as you can get around the head and arm.  But you just pull them into your lap either for a tilt or throw in the half and you got it.  Where I'm from nobody expects this kind of stuff really so it's pretty easy to surprise somebody, especially if you've never seen it before.  Dan St. John used to do something similar but he went across the back instead of inside like I do.  I've had a few pretty good wrestlers say they like how I developed it because it's safer than the other variations I've seen.  

35 minutes ago, Gantry said:

They banned the move after he graduated right?

33 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

5 count, i think that was actually more of a chris perry thing.

I believe Gantry is right. You aren't allowed to go straight over the top with it anymore. I remember it being talked about the year after he graduated. I think the 5 count came a year or two after for the reason you mentioned though it was more than Chris Perry. It was a very popular stall tactic on top in short time.

3 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Video?

I can post a video tonight of how I do it.  I'm pretty sure mine is different from how Fleming does his, but everyone I've drilled it with or used it against says it sucks because of the pressure on your head/neck.  I'm not forcing an unnatural movement, just a natural one.  I don't need strength to do it either, it's just about using body mechanics more than anything.  I think the way he does it is similar in that respect.

28 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I can post a video tonight of how I do it.  I'm pretty sure mine is different from how Fleming does his, but everyone I've drilled it with or used it against says it sucks because of the pressure on your head/neck.  I'm not forcing an unnatural movement, just a natural one.  I don't need strength to do it either, it's just about using body mechanics more than anything.  I think the way he does it is similar in that respect.

I think I know the technique you're talking about but I'd like to be sure.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Fleming's actually applied pressure to the jaw.

I don’t know how Fleming would teach it but I would lock up my right arm around my opponents head and bring my left arm under my opponents left arm. I would want to turn my opponents head to the left and lock my left hand underneath my lock right on the jaw line. My right shoulder would provide pressure to the top of the opponents head.  When you whip your hips over you rip up on the jaw while driving your weight on the top of the head. It’s similar to the idea of how some people may hit a front head pinch in freestyle.  

2 hours ago, Pinnum said:

Fleming's actually applied pressure to the jaw.

If you clamp down your lock hard on the jaw, you'll get it. You need to because the hold doesn't work going around the throat or neck, because you want to change the position of the head, so if you lock on the jaw you do that.  Locking around the neck doesn't do much except maybe makes somebody pass out.  The jaw is where you need to be because of the leverage and body mechanics used to complete it.  You could get around the neck but if you did I'd hop sides to go for a merkle since you already have the lock.