Sign in to follow this  
nhs67

Amine-Micic UofM

Any chance these two, providing they both medal(Amine is going for Bronze at the Euro Games and Micic is guaranteed at least Silver), Oly-Shirt next year?

They would both likely need to go through a waiver process for it, I am sure. Is it possible or likely they do it and are approved?

As long as they meet the criteria, they can. There is no rule against taking an Olympic shirt twice and I haven’t found anything that prohibits them from redshirting because they will be repping another country. 

NCAAs is going to be wild if all these guys actually redshirt. 

7 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

As long as they meet the criteria, they can. There is no rule against taking an Olympic shirt twice and I haven’t found anything that prohibits them from redshirting because they will be repping another country. 

NCAAs is going to be wild if all these guys actually redshirt. 

Do either of these guys meet criteria?

47 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Do either of these guys meet criteria?

Both do

Micic - "Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist"

Amine - "Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)."

49 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Both do

Micic - "Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist"

Amine - "Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)."

Amine did not do that. This is where the confusion comes in because he wrestles for another country and the criteria are written with the assumption that he would be taking the redshirt to wrestle for the USA. Micic is set because of his medals, but I don't know how Amine qualifies because he wrestles for San Marino and therefore doesn't participate in the USA qualifying events that you would typically qualify for the redshirt through.

10 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Amine did not do that. This is where the confusion comes in because he wrestles for another country and the criteria are written with the assumption that he would be taking the redshirt to wrestle for the USA. Micic is set because of his medals, but I don't know how Amine qualifies because he wrestles for San Marino and therefore doesn't participate in the USA qualifying events that you would typically qualify for the redshirt through.

He got top 3 at 2019 NCAAs, though

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Semi-colon means first criteria is one and those after semi-colon means both AFTER it must be accomplished.

I stand corrected. It was explained differently to me by multiple people, one of which was attempting to qualify for one. Might have been helpful to list those as separate bullet points to eliminate confusion.

12 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

I stand corrected. It was explained differently to me by multiple people, one of which was attempting to qualify for one. Might have been helpful to list those as separate bullet points to eliminate confusion.

I am just saying how I read it.

It is very much a topic up for confusion because I absolutely see why you read it the way you did.

21 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Criteria to qualify for a 2020 Olympic Redshirt Year 

There are four ways to qualify for an Olympic redshirt year  Only required to meet one criteria 

1)      Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials) 

2)      Top 8 at the 2019 Senior US Open 

3)      Top 3 at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship or NCAA Champion from a previous year AND top 2 from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both) 

4) Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 World Medalist 

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Regardless of taking a redshirt for Amine, I doubt he ever wrestles at 174lbs for UM.

Why not?

Did you watch any of his matches(easy to do actually-was surprised by this)?

He was tiny in every one of his matches.  He has the frame of a 74kg guy and isn't that thick.  It was known in UofM circles that he went 174 because Massa had 165 down.  They just didn't swap and wouldn't swap once they were set in on their weight classes.  Amine has put on some size for 174, however he wouldn't even be a large 165lber in our NCAAs.

All this being said, just because he is going 189(find what he weighed in at and I guarantee you he was under).

Simply stating that he will never see 174 is ballsy to say, given that he was a small 174lber, has a small/short frame, and is obviously wrestling 86kg(189lbs) well undersized.

He goes 174 again.  He is an absolute team guy and if he takes an Oly shirt, he can go 79kg(174) for 2021 worlds while deciding to either go 74 or 86 for the 2024 cycle(which I believe he will choose 74).

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Why not?

Did you watch any of his matches(easy to do actually-was surprised by this)?

He was tiny in every one of his matches.  He has the frame of a 74kg guy and isn't that thick.  It was known in UofM circles that he went 174 because Massa had 165 down.  They just didn't swap and wouldn't swap once they were set in on their weight classes.  Amine has put on some size for 174, however he wouldn't even be a large 165lber in our NCAAs.

All this being said, just because he is going 189(find what he weighed in at and I guarantee you he was under).

Simply stating that he will never see 174 is ballsy to say, given that he was a small 174lber, has a small/short frame, and is obviously wrestling 86kg(189lbs) well undersized.

He goes 174 again.  He is an absolute team guy and if he takes an Oly shirt, he can go 79kg(174) for 2021 worlds while deciding to either go 74 or 86 for the 2024 cycle(which I believe he will choose 74).

Life without cutting weight is glorious. Being a team guy is fine and dandy, but developing an eating disorder for the Maize and Blue is silly.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Life without cutting weight is glorious. Being a team guy is fine and dandy, but developing an eating disorder for the Maize and Blue is silly.

You have no clue how this works, obviously.

And you're out of your mind if you think he's going to gain some sort of eating disorder wrestling 174.

I'm starting to wonder if you even watched any of his matches last year.  Mark Hall, who everyone considers to be rather small for 174, and has considered to be rather small for 174 for a while, made him look a weight class under him.

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

And you're out of your mind if you think he's going to gain some sort of eating disorder wrestling 174.

I'm starting to wonder if you even watched any of his matches last year.  Mark Hall, who everyone considers to be rather small for 174, and has considered to be rather small for 174 for a while, made him look a weight class under him.

Well I have had an actual conversation with him, and he straight up said he would like to move up to 184. So yes, the idea of moving up from 174 is very much a reality, and I would say a probability at this point.

6 hours ago, bsharp2384 said:

Well I have had an actual conversation with him, and he straight up said he would like to move up to 184. So yes, the idea of moving up from 174 is very much a reality, and I would say a probability at this point.

That changes things.  My talks have been with coaching staff or those close with the team, never Amine himself, and they even hinted, or maybe joked, that Massa and Amine weigh about the same before their cuts.  They also said that them making a swap in weights was a very real possibility that was being discussed as well as the option of Massa going this year at 165 and Amine taking an Oly-shirt and giving 165 a go next year.

Amine is the horse.  If it's coming straight from his mouth, I would believe that first and foremost.  Simply stating that he isn't because he decided to go 86kg for international purposes where that tournament only had 74 then 86 isn't any sort of definitive proof just because it makes sense(and it does).  I believe last year the only 184lber that would have beaten Lewis or Amine more than not was Martin, and he choked against Dean, who is a great rider.  Amine rides differently, but is better than Dean.  Lewis rides differently, but is(was) better than Dean.

Cutting sucks.  When I wrestled I was good enough for my HS team I never had to.  I actually went up in weight for team purposes many, many times.  When I got to college I went from weighing 165-170(or 175 w/ clothes on for bump purposes) to cutting to 157 with relative ease my frosh year.  My soph year the coaching staff determined my style and size would translate excellently down to 149.  It sucked.  My natural body weight(in season shape) of 165 or so was still pretty low from what many people I knew that were even cutting to 141.

16 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Bro, chill. You take this stuff way too seriously. Maybe all that weight cutting is getting you grumpy. Go eat some food.