Sign in to follow this  
tigerfan

Mizzou advertising for an Asst. Coach?

On 7/6/2019 at 11:33 PM, scramble said:

Even someone new to coaching. I would love to see a hail mary at someone like Reece Humphrey.  Bring him in as associate head coach.  I know I'm dreaming but he pops into my mind right away.  Tony Ramos could be interesting, or Molinaro.

Mizzou does really need to step up their staring game.

Reece Humphrey would make a good coach, but you wouldn't bring him in as an associate HC without any experience. Plus they just brought Todd in for that job.

I'm not sure why some are so violently opposed to Eierman. But it doesn't make much sense. At his age, would he want to leave what he is doing to be an assistant coach? I can't imagine there is some bad blood between him and Snyder, though, unless it was recent, or Jaydin probably doesn't wind up at Mizzou.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:35 AM, Crotalus said:

Mizzou does really need to step up their staring game.

Reece Humphrey would make a good coach, but you wouldn't bring him in as an associate HC without any experience. Plus they just brought Todd in for that job.

I'm not sure why some are so violently opposed to Eierman. But it doesn't make much sense. At his age, would he want to leave what he is doing to be an assistant coach? I can't imagine there is some bad blood between him and Snyder, though, unless it was recent, or Jaydin probably doesn't wind up at Mizzou.

Violently opposed to Eirmena? I am not sure how you got that extreme view from what I said.  Violently? I don't have anything against Eirman.  I think he does a good job.  He develops young kids to a high level through his clubs and academy.  He also does a really good job on the freestyle level.  I am not questioning his coaching.  Last I knew he had a good relationship with the Mizzou program and as far as I know he still does.  So I am not at all violently opposed to him.  I simply felt in this circumstance it wasn't the best fit.  Mizzou is right on the edge of being on the stage consistently year after year instead of being a spot or two out. In my opinion, It wasn't the right fit for Mizzou at this time.  I personally felt a more high profile and fresh name was something they needed, like a Kendric Maple (who I hadn't thought about).  so it wasn't knock on Eirmeman.  If the question was posed who should they get to work with their freestyle team he would have been a name I would have thrown in that ring for sure.  Eireman is insanely creative with impeccable mat and match awareness.  Outside of Missouri though I don't know that his name would draw much in the recruiting circuit.  Which I think they needed.  

In response to Humphrey not having experience coaching, I respectfully disagree.  What he did with guys at tOSU and what he is doing in Jersey with the RTC speak volumes. 

It is all irrelevant at this point though now that the hire of Kendrick Maple is done... Which I think is a great grab.  It is exactly what they needed.  He is perfect for Eireman and his freestyle ambitions.  He is gonna be great for the lighter weight in both folkstyle and freestyle.  He gives added recruiting draw for kids out of Oklahoma and Kansas for sure.  Kansas doesn't produce a high number of national level kids, but the ones they do produce are solid.  Oklahoma kids will definitely know him and he could help grab one or two of them.  He is also a fresh name out of the top tier international guys on the senior level.  Missouri is so freaking close to being in the top four every year.  One or two more big recruits every couple of years is all they need to break in.  

11 hours ago, scramble said:

Violently opposed to Eirmena? I am not sure how you got that extreme view from what I said.  Violently? I don't have anything against Eirman.  I think he does a good job.  He develops young kids to a high level through his clubs and academy.  He also does a really good job on the freestyle level.  I am not questioning his coaching.  Last I knew he had a good relationship with the Mizzou program and as far as I know he still does.  So I am not at all violently opposed to him.  I simply felt in this circumstance it wasn't the best fit.  Mizzou is right on the edge of being on the stage consistently year after year instead of being a spot or two out. In my opinion, It wasn't the right fit for Mizzou at this time.  I personally felt a more high profile and fresh name was something they needed, like a Kendric Maple (who I hadn't thought about).  so it wasn't knock on Eirmeman.  If the question was posed who should they get to work with their freestyle team he would have been a name I would have thrown in that ring for sure.  Eireman is insanely creative with impeccable mat and match awareness.  Outside of Missouri though I don't know that his name would draw much in the recruiting circuit.  Which I think they needed.  

In response to Humphrey not having experience coaching, I respectfully disagree.  What he did with guys at tOSU and what he is doing in Jersey with the RTC speak volumes. 

It is all irrelevant at this point though now that the hire of Kendrick Maple is done... Which I think is a great grab.  It is exactly what they needed.  He is perfect for Eireman and his freestyle ambitions.  He is gonna be great for the lighter weight in both folkstyle and freestyle.  He gives added recruiting draw for kids out of Oklahoma and Kansas for sure.  Kansas doesn't produce a high number of national level kids, but the ones they do produce are solid.  Oklahoma kids will definitely know him and he could help grab one or two of them.  He is also a fresh name out of the top tier international guys on the senior level.  Missouri is so freaking close to being in the top four every year.  One or two more big recruits every couple of years is all they need to break in.  

Sorry, the first part of my comment was addressing your post. The second part was hyperbole and more aimed at KCMO2's comment when he said "Hell no" to Eierman.

I agree that Maple is a fantastic hire. I like Waters, but Maple may be actually be a step up.

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I agree that Maple is a fantastic hire. I like Waters, but Maple may be actually be a step up.

Still concerned about 125, 133, & 141 not having Waters available.  Confident that  the new staff (Todd, Maple, & Bradley) can adequately cover the upper 7 weights.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:25 PM, KCMO2 said:

Hell, no.

Is there a reason he would not be considered? I don't know anything about him and whether he has his degree or anyting about the program or his coaching I was just wondering? One of my son's coaches knows him and he wouldn't say why but basically had the same opinion as you.

3 hours ago, Stl said:

I still haven’t seen anywhere that says where Waters is heading. Does anyone have any info on that?

Waters didn't leave, he's in grad school.

Their staff is:

Brian Smith-HC

Tyrel Todd-Assoc Head Coach

Kendric Maple-Asst Coach

Dom Bradley - Asst Coach

Matt Manley-Director of Operation

Mike Larson-Strength and Condition

They also have Alan Waters, John Erneste and Daniel Lewis working out in the room. 

Pretty good staff in my opinion.

Edited by TigerFan33

15 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Sorry, the first part of my comment was addressing your post. The second part was hyperbole and more aimed at KCMO2's comment when he said "Hell no" to Eierman.

No sweat. regarding the first post... I do think Ramos would be a good addition to a staff.   I was not a fan of his in college.  However, I think since he has left Iowa and branched out he has matured and developed overall.  I think he would make a good coach somewhere.  I know Iowa has a certain Brand (not to be connected or a pun with Brand's), but if the bias is removed a lot of their guys go on and do a good job in the coaching ranks. Perry, St. John, Metcalf, Moffit, Schwabbs, Morningstar, Joe Johnston.  They all do a good job. Personally, I think Gillman will make a good coach. 

and I am definitely on board with Maple hire.  I think it is the exact kind of move they needed.  To address Show_Me post, he will be great for those guys.  Yes, he is a little bigger, but he was around those weights early on.  He will be huge for Eireman's goals.  I too thin Maples is a step up at this time from Waters. That is not a knock on Waters.  However, when you consider Maple is a little older and has experience on the international circuit, has time training at the OTC, and spent the last 2-years around training situations with Burroughs and Green as well as coaching with Lightner and Manning you have to think he has developed in his coaching skills.  He has had versatile exposure to some of the best coaches and athletes in the last couple of years.  He will have a lot to bring.  As good as Mizzou has been this could be the push they need to get their lighter weights consistently over the top.  He will add a lot to the freestyle ranks at MIZZOU as well. 

12 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Is there a reason he would not be considered? I don't know anything about him and whether he has his degree or anyting about the program or his coaching I was just wondering? One of my son's coaches knows him and he wouldn't say why but basically had the same opinion as you.

I don't have knowledge of specifics, just an abstract understanding of bits and pieces of things I know or have heard.  Again, it is vague as I haven't heard anything direct.  When you look at an "academy" format within the state of Missouri for developing youth you have the Purlers, Eirman, and at one time a few Henson kids.  So you are naturally going to have a divide at the fan level.  A difference of opinions on who is better.  With that comes the "he said she said" and unsubstantiated statements against all of them from one person or another for personal reasons.  If you filter all the stuff out from the youth or high school level and look only at the college level.. the college level could care less about who's opinion is what about whom.  

So from an abstract understanding... I don't believe there is any personal dissension at all between Eirman and the Mizzou staff.  If there was, Missouri would have a few guys less on their roster and the likes of OU or ISU would probably have a few more.  Several of Eirman's top kids have gone to Mizzou.  So that in itself is kind of a statement there are no personal issues between him or the MiZZOU staff.  I know 100% first hand that people connected to the Mizzou staff think he is doing a good job with kids and has a "great wrestling mind".  Unless something new has transpired over a couple years I am not aware of, there is a good relationship there between the two.  So whatever the reason I am guessing it is logistical.  Whether it be something logistical, degree status, or some other reason I don't believe it is just because Eirman is not a college level coach.  I mean heck, the way assistants get paid in wrestling it may not even be financially feasible for Eirman to take an assistant position. Regardless, I think Maple was a better hire to fit the overall needs.  However, regarding why Eirman wouldn't have been considered I think it is more logistical.  There is something that probably will keep it from ever happening, but I don't think it is a broken relationship between Eirman and Mizzou.  

I do know Smith is a straight up, systematic, program first kind of coach.  He has a set of Norms, whatever they are, and he won't sway from them. 

Edited by scramble

1 hour ago, scramble said:

I don't have knowledge of specifics, just an abstract understanding of bits and pieces of things I know or have heard.  Again, it is vague as I haven't heard anything direct.  When you look at an "academy" format within the state of Missouri for developing youth you have the Purlers, Eirman, and at one time a few Henson kids.  So you are naturally going to have a divide at the fan level.  A difference of opinions on who is better.  With that comes the "he said she said" and unsubstantiated statements against all of them from one person or another for personal reasons.  If you filter all the stuff out from the youth or high school level and look only at the college level.. the college level could care less about who's opinion is what about whom.  

So from an abstract understanding... I don't believe there is any personal dissension at all between Eirman and the Mizzou staff.  If there was, Missouri would have a few guys less on their roster and the likes of OU or ISU would probably have a few more.  Several of Eirman's top kids have gone to Mizzou.  So that in itself is kind of a statement there are no personal issues between him or the MiZZOU staff.  I know 100% first hand that people connected to the Mizzou staff think he is doing a good job with kids and has a "great wrestling mind".  Unless something new has transpired over a couple years I am not aware of, there is a good relationship there between the two.  So whatever the reason I am guessing it is logistical.  Whether it be something logistical, degree status, or some other reason I don't believe it is just because Eirman is not a college level coach.  I mean heck, the way assistants get paid in wrestling it may not even be financially feasible for Eirman to take an assistant position. Regardless, I think Maple was a better hire to fit the overall needs.  However, regarding why Eirman wouldn't have been considered I think it is more logistical.  There is something that probably will keep it from ever happening, but I don't think it is a broken relationship between Eirman and Mizzou.  

I do know Smith is a straight up, systematic, program first kind of coach.  He has a set of Norms, whatever they are, and he won't sway from them. 

Very nice. TY

10 hours ago, scramble said:

Henson is back running "Bull Trained" club at Hallsville, Blair Oaks and St. Charles locations.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:58 PM, ConnorsDad said:

I don't want to say anything bad about the guy because his coaching has helped multiple Mizzou wrestlers develop.  And it's a moot point anyway since the position has been filled.  I just do not believe what and how he coaches would mesh well with what Mizzou coaches and the Mizzou style of wrestling.

Edited by KCMO2

14 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

I don't want to say anything bad about the guy because his coaching has helped multiple Mizzou wrestlers develop.  And it's a moot point anyway since the position has been filled.  I just do not believe what and how he coaches would mesh well with what Mizzou coaches and the Mizzou style of wrestling.

Isn’t Mike the head coach of the recently established D3 Wrestling Program at Westminster ?

Yes, Mike E is the head coach at Westminster College, Fulton, MO.  DIII  18 student athletes currently on roster.  I believe he was hired there and accepted there to build a program from scratch. Based on his ability to build wrestlers for which he has done for years

On 7/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, KCMO2 said:

You would know better than I

my read is that Mike would be an excellent addition to the room in terms of technical training. mindset and rolling around. 

He isn’t the right fit in terms of leadership. That in no way is meant to question his leadership ability. He isn’t the right fit specifically for what Smith and team have built. 

Just my thoughts