Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Amine and Micic medal in European Championships

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/russia-goes-3-3-freestyle-finals-day-2-european-games?fbclid=IwAR2hGks5XMOydLnQ5qe2qYtz0M8rpIkXJJJ102Zc_qlWZRgt_q4Liol0oQI

Amiraslanov, a European bronze medalist and 2015 junior world champion, opened the gold-medal matches with a convincing 9-1 victory over Stevan MICIC (SRB) at 57kg. Amiraslanov raced out to a 4-0 lead early in the match on the strength of a four-point, feed-to-back takedown. He added a step out and led 5-0 at the break. Amiraslanov was able to counter Micic's attacks in the second period and scored two more takedowns to pull away. 

World No.1 Suleyman ATLI (TUR) won a bronze medal at 57kg by defeating Taras MARKOVYCH (UKR) 12-9. The other bronze medal was won by returning world champion Zavur UGUEV (RUS), who cruised to a 10-2 win over Georgi VANGELOV (BUL).

Bronze medals at 74kg were won by Avtandil KENTCHADZE (GEO) and Khadzhimurad GADZHIYEV (AZE). Kentchadze, a world silver medalist, won 8-5 in the bronze-medal match against Azamat NURYKAU (BLR). Gadzhiyev rolled to a 9-1 win over Vasyl MYKHAILOV (UKR).

Myles AMINE (SMR) edged Alexander GOSTIYEV (AZE) 3-3 for bronze at 86kg, becoming San Marino's first-ever medalist at the European Games. Ahmed DUDAROV (GER) won the other medal at 86kg, beating world silver medalist Fatih ERDIN (TUR) 10-8.

Jammaladdin MAGOMEDOV (AZE) dominated Rares CHINTOAN (ROU) to claim a bronze at 125kg. The other bronze at 125kg was won by Oleksandr KHOTSIANIVSKYI (UKR) who defeated Faith YASARLI (TUR) 2-1. 

RESULTS

57kg
GOLD - Mahir AMIRASLANOV (AZE) df. Stevan MICIC (SRB), 9-1
BRONZE - Suleyman ATLI (TUR) df. Taras MARKOVYCH (UKR), 12-9
Bronze - Zavur UGUEV (RUS) df. Georgi VANGELOV (BUL), 10-2

74kg
GOLD - Zaurbek SIDAKOV (RUS) df. Soner DEMIRTAS (TUR) by fall at 2:04
BRONZE - Avtandil KENTCHADZE (GEO) df. Azamat NURYKAU (BLR), 8-5
BRONZE - Khadzhimurad GADZHIYEV (AZE) df. Vasyl MYKHAILOV (UKR), 9-1

86kg
GOLD - Dauren KURUGLIEV (RUS) df. Ali SHABANAU (BLR), 3-2
BRONZE - Ahmed DUDAROV (GER) df. Fatih ERDIN (TUR), 10-8
BRONZE - Myles AMINE (SMR) df. Alexander GOSTIYEV (AZE), 3-3 

125kg
GOLD - Anzor KHIZRIEV (RUS) df. Givi MATCHARASHVILI (GEO), 8-2
BRONZE - Jammaladdin MAGOMEDOV (AZE) df. Rares CHINTOAN (ROU), 12-2
BRONZE - Oleksandr KHOTSIANIVSKYI (UKR) df. Faith YASARLI (TUR), 2-1

FYI, SMR is San Marino. I had to look that up.  Its size is just over 61 km2 (24 sq mi), with a population of 33,562.[7] Its capital is the City of San Marino and its largest settlement is Dogana in the municipality of Serravalle. Smaller than the University of Michigan!

San Marino has had little success at the Olympic Games, winning no medals, according to Wikipedia.

Could Myles Amine be the best San Marino athlete ever?

Edited by NJDan

That's pretty great, the COUNTRY he's representing is smaller than the college he's representing.

I'd love to know how he has citizenship there, a grandparent maybe?  With 30K people it's not an easy task to be a descendant of one...

8 hours ago, Gantry said:

That's pretty great, the COUNTRY he's representing is smaller than the college he's representing.

I'd love to know how he has citizenship there, a grandparent maybe?  With 30K people it's not an easy task to be a descendant of one...

I'm asking myself, how is the sponsorship for athletes from San Marino? Just 30k people and gross domestic product of 2million. Maybe the athlete have to pay for flight, hotel and everything else 

Micic beat world number 1 Suleyman ATLI (TUR) in his quarterfinal match.  That's pretty impressive, even with the drubbing he took in the finals. He is right there with the best in the world. 

He should take the Olympic Redshirt and compete for Serbia.

49 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

The Amines have biological ties to San Marino and I'm sure the finances are not a huge issue for his family (good people and well to do in the area).  Novochkov, Habat, Micic, Amine, Abounader, etc., I'm glad they are getting a chance to further their careers.

Good for him, I was wondering because I know a bit of the financial support system in wrestling in Germany and it's not really good, so I was wondering how a small country like San Marino handles it. I think it's "best case" for athletes like Amine and Micic to wrestle for country's like San Marino and Serbia, maybe they could have an international career under the Flag of America but maybe not. Serbia got a few good greco wrestlers but I don't think San Marino got a lot of good wrestlers, so it's good for him to be the number one there, have success and maybe get some money for flights or something else 

2 hours ago, Graverobber said:

Good for him, I was wondering because I know a bit of the financial support system in wrestling in Germany and it's not really good, so I was wondering how a small country like San Marino handles it. I think it's "best case" for athletes like Amine and Micic to wrestle for country's like San Marino and Serbia, maybe they could have an international career under the Flag of America but maybe not. Serbia got a few good greco wrestlers but I don't think San Marino got a lot of good wrestlers, so it's good for him to be the number one there, have success and maybe get some money for flights or something else 

I agree, good for them and I wish they would wrestle for USA.  

But both are good enough right now to be at least national team members for us.  Micic would be in serious contention to be our rep at 57kg, and with what Amine has accomplished in his last two international tournaments, I wouldn't doubt that he could make top 3 at 86kg.  

3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

But both are good enough right now to be at least national team members for us.  Micic would be in serious contention to be our rep at 57kg, and with what Amine has accomplished in his last two international tournaments, I wouldn't doubt that he could make top 3 at 86kg.  

Agree. I think our top 2 are bad matchups for Micic, but his chance to medal vs. the world field is just as good.

My confidence in Amine medaling is probably just as high as it is for Downey too.

Again, I wonder how this works out with the RTC at Michigan.  How much time and resources are these athletes spending there?  There appear to be soft limits on how much foreign wrestlers can train at the RTCs.

22 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

But I can't blame them for not wrestling for the US... I guess it's a bit like in Russia, if you're number 3 or 4, you might could be a world champion but you will never get the chance to wrestle at those tournaments, maybe you know Kakhaber Khubezhty from Russia, he won against numerous world medalist in the German Bundesliga but never got the chance to wrestle at worlds as a senior. 

16 minutes ago, Graverobber said:

But I can't blame them for not wrestling for the US... I guess it's a bit like in Russia, if you're number 3 or 4, you might could be a world champion but you will never get the chance to wrestle at those tournaments, maybe you know Kakhaber Khubezhty from Russia, he won against numerous world medalist in the German Bundesliga but never got the chance to wrestle at worlds as a senior. 

I don't blame them.  It would mean more to me to win a medal for my own country, but I can't say if I were in their shoes I wouldn't do the same thing.

Re: Russia I always think of a guy like Bekbulatov who's been among the best wrestlers in the world at any weight going on 8 years now, and still hasn't gotten his chance.  

Countries can grant citizenship to whoever they want for whatever reason they want. Adam Batirov has no relatives in Bahrain. The Amines may have a familial connection to San Marino but they don't need one to wrestle for their wrestling federation. I don't think they even need to be citizens. 

5 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Countries can grant citizenship to whoever they want for whatever reason they want. Adam Batirov has no relatives in Bahrain. The Amines may have a familial connection to San Marino but they don't need one to wrestle for their wrestling federation. I don't think they even need to be citizens. 

Is that really true? What's to stop Saudi Arabia from deciding it wants to be a world power in wrestling and offering top guys a few million dollars to join their team?

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

I thought that you had to be eligible to receive a passport from the country you represent.  

the gulf states just give out passports to try to get medals. look up the qatari olympic weightlifting team - i think they were all bulgarian.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Is that really true? What's to stop Saudi Arabia from deciding it wants to be a world power in wrestling and offering top guys a few million dollars to join their team?

nothing at all - except it becomes trickier if they've competed internationally for their real home country already.

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

the only UWW restrictions are you can only transfer once and you have to pay money to your original federation on a sliding scale depending on the transferring wrestler's accomplishments. other than that, wrestlers and federations are free to do whatever they want. 

14 hours ago, NJDan said:

10 hours ago, ugarte said:

the gulf states just give out passports to try to get medals. look up the qatari olympic weightlifting team - i think they were all bulgarian.

nothing at all - except it becomes trickier if they've competed internationally for their real home country already.

I would be okay with Saudi offering some of our good/great up and comers that sort of money.  Call it USA-B team.

Imagine them grabbing some of our young guys who have a very high ceiling at the Oly weights.

Suriano(57), Shnaulty(65), Valencia(74), Valencia(86), Cassar(97), Parris(125)

Throw them each a million and buy the best Russian coaches to train wherever they want.  That team, with the right focus, would have a huge ceiling.  Just a joke of an idea, especially those specific grapplers, but good for a chuckle.

I'd be absolutely thrilled to see them succeed at a high level internationally even if attached to another country.  Micic, Habat, Amine, Amine, Abounader, etc?  I root for everyone with US/NCAA ties. Hard.

Does anyone know what process Amine used to get citizenship in San Marino? Are his parents from there or something? It seems like an odd place to compete for.  Also worth noting that it is the world's oldest continuous republic and was among the first nations to recognize the USA.  

On 6/27/2019 at 8:14 AM, pa in taiwan said:

Micic beat world number 1 Suleyman ATLI (TUR) in his quarterfinal match.  That's pretty impressive, even with the drubbing he took in the finals. He is right there with the best in the world. 

He should take the Olympic Redshirt and compete for Serbia.

I don't think he has an Olympic redshirt to take...not positive.

51 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I don't think he has an Olympic redshirt to take...not positive.

A few other posters have pointed out that they do not believe there are specified  limits to the number of Olympic Redshirts a person can be taken.  It is assumed that you would only be in school for one cycle and if they happened to be there for two likely wouldn’t meet the criteria to take one the first cycle.    However, in Micic’s case he is both around and eligible for two cycle.  I’m sure Michigan is in communication with both the NCAA and Olympic Committee to clarify the situation.   

Edited by MadMardigain