Jump to content
John Morgan

NCAA approves shorts

Recommended Posts

Changing the uni or not changing it, wrestling will be fine. 

The NCAA is facing another issue that will have a far, far greater impact on wrestling and all other minor sports. The issue: paying college athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 6:17 PM, Idaho said:

Just think of how many potential ncaa champs...world champs...Olympic champs are out there that we missed because they wouldn’t wear a singlet...sigh. Now I know where to place all my negative energy in the sport. 

Honestly, you really don’t know that this didn’t happen.  We have no way of knowing if there was a kid who didn’t want to wrestle in 5th grade because of the singlet, then picked another sport and never thought about wrestling again.

 

Even if it is just “fringe” kids, I think that’s reason enough to do it.   Getting 1 “fringe” kid at a lot of schools will add up quickly.

 

 

 

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Honestly, you really don’t know that this didn’t happen.  We have no way of knowing if there was a kid who didn’t want to wrestle in 5th grade because of the singlet, then picked another sport and never thought about wrestling again.

 

Even if it is just “fringe” kids, I think that’s reason enough to do it.   Getting 1 “fringe” kid at a lot of schools will add up quickly.

 

 

 

Exactly my point - thanks!

Which is why I said to offer a choice - making everyone change - who don't necessarily want to change to shorts and a t-shirt,  is just catering to the few. Choice solves it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Idaho said:

Exactly my point - thanks!

Which is why I said to offer a choice - making everyone change - who don't necessarily want to change to shorts and a t-shirt,  is just catering to the few. Choice solves it. 

I could be wrong but I thought they did have a choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Idaho said:

 Would you also suggest that high level track and field also abandon their competition uniform? It is very much like a singlet and used for the same reasons. I really don't care either way, but to say that there is no reason to stay with them is not accurate. 

 

Haven't they already done this by more people going to the compression shorts as opposed to the "short shorts" which used to be a lot more popular?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

 

Haven't they already done this by more people going to the compression shorts as opposed to the "short shorts" which used to be a lot more popular?

Most women wear almost like a tight spandex bathing suit bottom and some a little bit longer volleyball like bottom . Most men are wearing a tight spandex short with separate tight tank top or one piece. Both look like a wrestling singlet. There is a difference between a “compressed short” and looser shorts worn at WNO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Most women wear almost like a tight spandex bathing suit bottom and some a little bit longer volleyball like bottom . Most men are wearing a tight spandex short with separate tight tank top or one piece. Both look like a wrestling singlet.

I know, my point was that it wasn't too long ago that the predominant uniform in track & field consisted of "short shorts."   If track & field can change their uniform, wrestling can too.

Edit: I do see the argument for saying "do people make fun of the track team for essentially wearing singlets too?"   But part of the hate on the singlet is the singlet compounded with "rolling around with other guys."   I'm not sure about the current uniform, but relative to my first sentence, people did definitely make fun of the "short shorts" that the track team wore.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

If guys would go back to wearing jocks under their singlet you wouldn't see their junk outline.

Three things that always tell the truth.... A child, a drunk person and a wrestling singlet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, do wrestlers go naked under their singlets? No underwear or support underwear??

There was an article long ago about how maybe the singlet manufacturers should at least improve the design with thicker, less contouring material below the waist to make bulges and wedgies less obvious. With all the noise about getting rid of the singlet, I don't know why they haven't done that. I guess the singlet would still look ridiculous to non-wrestlers and non-fans of wrestling even with those improvements. Shorts are the future of the sport.

Edited by pamela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No clue what they were underneath now, but I'd guess just regular underwear.  Do they even make regular jock straps anymore?  When my son started playing baseball, there were no jocks available that you could put a cup in.  Now they are all compression/sliding shorts that have a pouch for the cup.  I can't recall seeing on old school jock strap at any sporting goods store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, Fletcher said:

If singlets were so great, people would wear them at practice. No one does at any level, including college.

Here is a no one.

 

5d002861b6e7b.png?width=660&quality=80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, unbiased said:

Here is a no one.

 

5d002861b6e7b.png?width=660&quality=80

Like most people, I use hyperbole. Between college, high school, and middle school, I bet the number that use singlets in practice is less than 1%. That's effectively no one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it count if Synder is wearing a tshirt under the singlet? :)

As for the shorts and shirt option, things will probably start rolling once we see how they are designed. Right now, the stuff out there are pretty ugly so it's understandably difficult to imagine kids and fans liking them, let alone wanting to wear them. They don't have to be so goofy looking. Rugby has a uniform that's basically a snug-fitting shirt and MMA-style shorts that look flattering, could work for wrestling, and are something non-fans might actually wear themselves. 

kCQv2S9.jpg

iXNZ0pE.jpg

(I'm talking more about the cut & style, and less about the actual prints, and of course ignore the cleats and socks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pamela said:

Does it count if Synder is wearing a tshirt under the singlet? :)

As for the shorts and shirt option, things will probably start rolling once we see how they are designed. Right now, the stuff out there are pretty ugly so it's understandably difficult to imagine kids and fans liking them, let alone wanting to wear them. They don't have to be so goofy looking. Rugby has a uniform that's basically a snug-fitting shirt and MMA-style shorts that look flattering, could work for wrestling, and are something non-fans might actually wear themselves. 

kCQv2S9.jpg

iXNZ0pE.jpg

(I'm talking more about the cut & style, and less about the actual prints, and of course ignore the cleats and socks)

Yeah, sign me up for wearing those shorts in public around my teenage kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Gwiz going shirt over the singlet at the airport.

 

But I think it's pretty safe to say the senior world team is not who allowing shorts is targeting (younger athletes & viewers mostly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Not many teams are going to spend the extra cash to have fight shorts/compressions made regardless.

Singlets don't exactly have an infinite service life. What type of teams are you referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pamela said:

Singlets don't exactly have an infinite service life. What type of teams are you referring to?

Smaller schools in particular I suppose. Some may want to reallocate that money towards scholarship if need be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Smaller schools in particular I suppose. Some may want to reallocate that money towards scholarship if need be. 

I dont think that's how it works. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but schools have an operating budget which goes towards uniforms, mats, etc. You dont just forgo a few of those expenses and get another scholarship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Smaller schools in particular I suppose. Some may want to reallocate that money towards scholarship if need be. 

Yeah I'm sure that ~$2,500 will go a long way towards scholarships...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, russelscout said:

I dont think that's how it works. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but schools have an operating budget which goes towards uniforms, mats, etc. You dont just forgo a few of those expenses and get another scholarship.

They do and typically it is the same year to year. Obviously it depends on what gets approved but regardless I don't see teams putting extra cash towards the novelty of fight shorts. Of course if Penn State wears them for a match everyone will love it so we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I'm sure that ~$2,500 will go a long way towards scholarships...

As someone who went to college on a $500 dollar scholarship it certainly can. Not everyone is a blue chip full-ride wrestler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×