John Morgan

NCAA approves shorts

It is way more appealing to young wrestlers and to fans. I still don’t understand why anyone is against it. It will not negatively impact matches in the long run. Possibly there will be some issues in year 1 with grabbing shorts and the like, but guys are used to wrestling people in shorts in practice. 

41 minutes ago, John Morgan said:

We practice in shorts and T-shirts, when warming up we are in shorts, now we compete in them.  I think the look appears too casual vs a more formal/official look for competition.

I think the formal issue is resolved with matching uniforms. It gives more real estate to designers and they can be more creative with the bottoms

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It is way more appealing to young wrestlers and to fans. I still don’t understand why anyone is against it. It will not negatively impact matches in the long run. Possibly there will be some issues in year 1 with grabbing shorts and the like, but guys are used to wrestling people in shorts in practice. 

Yeah I think people arguing against shorts in college are saying that these wrestlers don't care, which I'm sure is true.   But in college it's probably more about gaining more fans, whereas high school it's more about gaining more wrestlers.

Edited by 1032004

What will be the first lower tier program that transitions to shorts & shirt to try and create fan interest?  Will any of the Top 10 teams do this on a consistent basis?  I can see several teams do it for one special match just to mix things up.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

What will be the first lower tier program that transitions to shorts & shirt to try and create fan interest?  Will any of the Top 10 teams do this on a consistent basis?  I can see several teams do it for one special match just to mix things up.

I was more thinking it could help NCAA viewership.   Every time I've tried to watch them on ESPN with friends they make a comment about singlets.   Although I guess for it to really make a difference a lot of teams would have to switch (well maybe just PSU...)

2 hours ago, John Morgan said:

We practice in shorts and T-shirts, when warming up we are in shorts, now we compete in them.  I think the look appears too casual vs a more formal/official look for competition.

Even singlets are too causal nowadays.

Bring back the diaper singlets!

27382233486_664ef40965_b.jpg

And the bathrobes!

1959422_10203127777414809_28389133962957

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I could see one of the D1 power programs giving it a go, mostly bc their athletic depts have big contracts with apparel companies who are always looking for incremental brand & revenue opportunities at their schools. Could be a way to brand a new type of short for schools and sell lookalikes to fans as workout shorts or “athleisure”.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I was more thinking it could help NCAA viewership.   Every time I've tried to watch them on ESPN with friends they make a comment about singlets.   Although I guess for it to really make a difference a lot of teams would have to switch (well maybe just PSU...)

Who are your friends?  I mean, what is their demographic?  

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Singlets look ridiculous and any functional advantage they have are negligible (otherwise MMA guys would wear them). Other than getting pants-ed, there's no downside to shorts and this is a move in the right direction. Hopefully, all teams will follow suit.

So we should go with the speedo and shirtless look, because MMA does it?

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

So we should go with the speedo and shirtless look, because MMA does it?

Just referenced MMA with regard to functionality; nobody wants to see shirtless heavyweights.  Best solution is shorts and compression top; except for heavyweights who will wear either medical scrubs or graduation gowns.

If we do a cost benefit analysis of this, we are sacrificing nothing by making this change. It will have zero effect in the way matches play out. Even if it only gets a few more kids out every year or results in a more positive appearance to a handful of outsiders and casual fans, wouldnt it be worth it?

Edited by russelscout

If you don't think middle School kids are uncomfortable with their bodies go to a middle school  track meet, almost all will wear a tee shirt under the standard tank top. 

I don't think this is a new thing. I remember wearing basketball uniforms and hating the tank top and wishing I could wear a tee shirt like Patrick Ewing did at Georgetown.