John Morgan

NCAA approves shorts

11 hours ago, unbiased said:

This isn't middle school. College kids don't need shorts. Middle school kids will just come up with a different excuse now.

Oh, it’s not middle school?  Thank you for clarifying that.  Could you tell us all why college kids don’t need to wear shorts?  How does the singlet improve the product on the mat?  Will less people watch wrestling if guys are in fight shorts and compression shirts?

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

If singlets were so great, people would wear them at practice. No one does at any level, including college.

Well many wrestlers do wear them at practice but still they’re not that great

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Just referenced MMA with regard to functionality; nobody wants to see shirtless heavyweights.  Best solution is shorts and compression top; except for heavyweights who will wear either medical scrubs or graduation gowns.

I recall that Cornell used compression tops back in the 2003-04 season.  I don't think I've seen much of them since them.

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

If singlets were so great, people would wear them at practice. No one does at any level, including college.

many places throughout the world wear singlets in practice.  We used to as well when we were getting close to competitions and wanted a more realistic feel.  We also did it many times in local practice as well as at usoc for simulation matches.  

I notice that no one seems to mention that the singlet hasn't always been the uniform. In the 1960's it was banned in the NCAA.  Before that, shorts or shorts with tights. Increased injures argument really doesn't work.  Shorts & shirts doesn't seem to increase injuries at practice.  There are a decent number of High School using short/shirts.  Haven't heard a word about an increase in finger injuries.  

Edited by USMC5702
Misspelled word

So we're agreed then. Let's break this down into a simple bullet list:

• Proper practice attire = singlet underneath shorts and a t-shirt
  • Proper competition attire = something other than the singlet we now have that leaves too little to the imagination
    •  I don't want to dig into details about which solution is best - I'm sure many are fine. Let's start with a change and keep evolving.
    •  I will note that this is absolutely 100% a problem with non-wrestler spectators, particularly women. They strongly dislike it.
    •  Wrestlers opinions may vary, but at least some of us would prefer something other than the singlet.
  •  Other concerns like cost, injuries, legacy, etc. are not significant enough to overwhelm the bigger issues.

20100210__100211konrad_300.jpg

8 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

I recall that Cornell used compression tops back in the 2003-04 season.  I don't think I've seen much of them since them.

Good catch. I think it was 05 for the Michigan dual that I recall and they abandoned them quickly. Don’t know why. 

41 minutes ago, scribe said:

Good catch. I think it was 05 for the Michigan dual that I recall and they abandoned them quickly. Don’t know why. 

Probably because of all the old guys clenching their fists and complaining that it wasn't a singlet.

6 hours ago, scribe said:

Wasn’t that the year the NCAA allowed teams to wear the two piece as past of a testing year for the style.  I believe a few other teams also had them for a couple competitions.  They may have been abandoned by teams just due to the NCAA deciding to not consider them any further after that test.

I know one issue with the original two piece trial was that some teams shirts were riding up a lot.  I’m not sure the design specifics back then but the tops should really have a decent amount more material at the bottom to help prevent some of them.  I’ve said the same thing about the high school option.  I can’t recall if the bottoms were fight short style or compression style, but again if they want to do it rough the shorts option should be somewhat close to the thigh and not super long.   Again I’ve said the same thing in HS were I’ve seen some teams push the rules specification with what I would consider longer and baggier than should be allows.  

Wasn’t that the year the NCAA allowed teams to wear the two piece as past of a testing year for the style.  I believe a few other teams also had them for a couple competitions.  They may have been abandoned by teams just due to the NCAA deciding to not consider them any further after that test.  

Two piece uniforms have been allowed for some time. It was not an experimental rule. The following is copied from the current rules book:

Spandex/Lycra: A competition uniform that consists of a T-shirt style top and shorts. The top shall be a form-fitted, sleeveless or short-sleeved, T-shirt style and not cover or extend beyond the elbow. In addition, the length of the top shall be longer than the torso to prevent it from becoming untucked. The top shall remain tucked into the shorts at all times during competition. The shorts shall be form-fitting with a minimum 4-inch inseam and not extend beyond the top of the knees.

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I think we've figured out the answer. We'll ditch the singlet and teams will wear compression shirts and compression shorts, but to prevent the shirt from riding up, the shorts will be attached to the shirt so they're one article of clothing.

Back before the new fangled singlet we had these gawd awful tanks that buttoned in the crotch, really sucked when you had to piss really bad.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:54 AM, John Morgan said:

We practice in shorts and T-shirts, when warming up we are in shorts, now we compete in them.  I think the look appears too casual vs a more formal/official look for competition.

old.jpg

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I think we've figured out the answer. We'll ditch the singlet and teams will wear compression shirts and compression shorts, but to prevent the shirt from riding up, the shorts will be attached to the shirt so they're one article of clothing.

Compression shorts aren’t much different from singlets (and I think have been legal for awhile).  But allowing non-compression shorts is a big change IMO.

14 hours ago, Fletcher said:

This makes too much sense. The bosses will never go for it. 

I’m pretty sure Hofstra when Tom Ryan was there also used the two piece. The difference between the old two piece and the new one is not requiring the bottoms to be form fitting. The old version was basically a singlet with T-shirt length sleeves. The new option is much more in line with normal clothing. 

My HS team has competed in 2 piece uniforms the last two years and we’ve never had a uniform issue in a match with fingers getting caught or even the tops or bottoms coming down. They function perfectly. 

On 6/28/2019 at 9:12 PM, rcoates1 said:

Oh, it’s not middle school?  Thank you for clarifying that.  Could you tell us all why college kids don’t need to wear shorts?  How does the singlet improve the product on the mat?  Will less people watch wrestling if guys are in fight shorts and compression shirts?

You're welcome. Because we don't need to change something everytime someone has a complaint about being uncomfortable. I'm not against shorts and compression tops but we really need to accept the fact that this change alone isn't going to make wrestling a mainstream sport. The singlet doesn't improve the sport at all but what it does say about the guy who is wearing one is that he is a wrestler. Some wear it as a badge of honor, some wear it because it's required and some would like a change. I don't know how many viewers the wrestling community will lose over the loss of the singlet, maybe as many wrestlers as it would gain.