Jump to content
CoachWrestling

Dake to compete in Spain before wrestle off with Dieringer

Recommended Posts

Why is  sports committee of USAW even voting on this?   Aren't there specific criteria, dates to be met or do they just play it by ear as they go?   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you view this development procedurally or in terms of principle, I suppose you can make the claim and case that Dake is gaming the system and helping himself out to be more prepared coming off an injury.

If you view it it more pragmatically, you might likely see it as increasing the odds that the US will get the best wrestler (at least in Dake's case) at the weight or the best version of that wrestler (again at least in Dake's case and maybe even also Deiringer's ) for the wrestle-off.

Personally, I hope we see both guys at their relative best on August 17th.   

I also think we will learn something about their current conditions very shortly—at  Yasar Dogu (Deiringer) and the Spanish Grand Prix (Dake).  The former is obviously a much tougher tournament.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Katie said:

Again, JB teched Dake in 2013 and 2015. Then he beat him out in 2017 after going through a very fair process. All the excuses are getting out of hand. 

What were the scores of the other matches they wrestled?  Wasn't one in overtime, in which USAW didn't go by the criteria rule that would have given the win to Dake?  Does that really meet your definition of "not close?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, klehner said:

The guy who moved up a weight his senior year in college to face the undefeated defending NCAA champion and Hodge Trophy winner?  That coward?

Yep that's the coward.  The one who who moved up a weight because he knew he was unable to beat an aging 6x world champ.  The same one who obviously knew he would get his pansy ass spanked by Dieringer in June and July so he played the Spanish grand prix gig.  Why didnt he enter the Dagu?  Obviously Because he is a coward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, klehner said:

What were the scores of the other matches they wrestled?  Wasn't one in overtime, in which USAW didn't go by the criteria rule that would have given the win to Dake?  Does that really meet your definition of "not close?"

When you start making arguments to the effect of “if the rules were different,” you’ve lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

This entire post is lol-able

 

So you are okay with manipulating the system to make it easier for someone? 

I am saying that he is doing what so many people have done before.

Why hate on him for it now?  He was hated on when he voiced all his displeasure for manipulating the system.  Now he is hating on for using the system the way it is designed, AND jumping through the proper legal loops to do so.  What is wrong here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

None of this is relevant, unless you are fine with the USA wrestling coaches picking the team and not honoring the trials. Don’t you want our best team? Do you really think Downey is our best guy at 86kg? I assume then you would support USA wrestling picking Bo Nickal to rep us at 86kg. He is way more likely to medal and that’s what matters, right?

It was an irrelevant post within a thread of a bunch of irrelevant posts.

I just wanted to join in the fun.

That being said, Dake did nothing illegal and even went about it properly.

4 of 7 of the USAW 'board' believe he deserves this, so it has been given to him.

Don't like it? Run for prez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, headshuck said:

 


Wasn’t Dake already beating Tayler in freestyle?

 

He beat him at the trials the previous summer. Regardless, going through DT (and Tyler Caldwell) was a much tougher road to his 4th title than Derek St. John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

It was an irrelevant post within a thread of a bunch of irrelevant posts.

I just wanted to join in the fun.

That being said, Dake did nothing illegal and even went about it properly.

4 of 7 of the USAW 'board' believe he deserves this, so it has been given to him.

Don't like it? Run for prez.

There are 11 members on the freestyle committee why did only 7 vote?

Doesnt matter, I'm sure Dake's lawyers would find other ways to beat the system, draw special attention and privileges  to himself even if they voted it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol the whole thing is silly, I need more time to heal.... excuse me while I compete.

But no rules are being broken. Ringer is wrestling some great competition at the Dogu. Dake is hollerin at the JV tourney, let's discuss their results and speculate how the match will go in August... it's all we got

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Dake is cheating. USA wrestling told him no, so Dake threatened a law suit and USA wrestling decided it wasn’t worth it.

 The reason Dake got an extension is because he had a doctors note saying he couldn’t compete until August 17th. Either that is a lie, or it isn’t. If it’s a lie, he should wrestleoff ASAP. If he is too injured to wrestle off, he is too injured to wrestle. 

 He is taking advantage of a rule designed to protect injured medalists. 

I’m a Dake fan. I like him a lot. This is shady and he is losing any goodwill he had left. 

This is definitely a bad look for Dake-especially after his complaining over the advantages JB got.

I wouldn’t go as far to say he’s cheating-he’s a returning, injured world champ (heard he tore his acl?). He is, however gaming the system designed to protect him-would you do the same? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I am saying that he is doing what so many people have done before.

Why hate on him for it now?  He was hated on when he voiced all his displeasure for manipulating the system.  Now he is hating on for using the system the way it is designed, AND jumping through the proper legal loops to do so.  What is wrong here?

In general, you don’t see anything wrong with doing the same thing (or worse) than what you had previously complained about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dake wrestling before derienger is great for usa wrestling. The goal is to get the best team for worlds. you do that by having a max kyle dake. Why roll him out there with no time to dust the rust off ? that doesn't help usa get the best guy to win worlds.

we have 2 weeks until before worlds to decide, whats the rush ?

Allowing a medalist to wrestle off after injury has the same goal behind it as allowing him to wrestle before the wrestleoff - to get the best fricken guy.

This is not like knowing worlds are on x date and then getting a re-wrestleoff against the winner from iran for gold. This is just to make the team.  Adjustments need to be considered in such a situation, for the good of the team. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the draw I can see Dake wrestling a couple opening matches against favorable opponents and then defaulting out.  Get back into the grove without risking over doing it against a tougher competitor prior to his match with Alex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coach_J said:

The "system" has been gamed for decades (go back to Lewboo/Smith and take it up to Marable's "concussion").  The only ones who deserve any special treatment for extenuating circumstances are the proven competitors (returned World/Olympic medalists).  Dake has earned that.  The issue here is that there is no stipulation that someone granted an extension cannot compete until the wrestle-off takes place.  If you have a problem, it's with USA Wrestling and vague rules and not with Dake, Koll, Yanni, the Boogie-Man, etc.

no my problem is someone whining about circumstances and then turning around and using the same circumstances to help themselves... 

yes, why not, but if you really care, dont you do it the way you think is right? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone that has an issue with this, better have a problem with injured returning medalists delaying matches period. The point of putting off the match until they are healthy, is so that we can get the best guy out there. Him being able to knock off a little rust is better for our team. You being so anti this makes it feel like you want a less then 100% version of Dake for whatever reason. Dake will still have to win the spot, and is still at a disadvantage that you guys want him to have, because hes been hurt and not wrestling. The better wrestler will win, and hopefully bring us a gold.

Edited by Molsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Lol the whole thing is silly, I need more time to heal.... excuse me while I compete.

But no rules are being broken. Ringer is wrestling some great competition at the Dogu. Dake is hollerin at the JV tourney, let's discuss their results and speculate how the match will go in August... it's all we got

Dake doing this doesn’t mean rules were not broken. USA wrestling told him no at first and then he threatened legal action. It isn’t clear what the rules say here, but USA wrestling decided it wasn’t worth pursuing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alliseeisgold said:

dake wrestling before derienger is great for usa wrestling. The goal is to get the best team for worlds. you do that by having a max kyle dake. Why roll him out there with no time to dust the rust off ? that doesn't help usa get the best guy to win worlds.

we have 2 weeks until before worlds to decide, whats the rush ?

Allowing a medalist to wrestle off after injury has the same goal behind it as allowing him to wrestle before the wrestleoff - to get the best fricken guy.

This is not like knowing worlds are on x date and then getting a re-wrestleoff against the winner from iran for gold. This is just to make the team.  Adjustments need to be considered in such a situation, for the good of the team. 

 

So you would support just picking the best wrestlers then, right? Downey is definitely not our best option at 86kg. We should send someone else if we follow your logic. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

So you would support just picking the best wrestlers then, right? Downey is definitely not our best option at 86kg. We should send someone else if we follow your logic. 

 

No, I think he supports letting Dake be as close to 100% as possible.  That only happens if Dake knocks off the rust from not wrestling all year.

If hes not allowed to knock off the rust, why even let him delay the wrestle off. Make him wrestle hurt or not at all. He doesn't deserve a shot to be close to 100% because he got hurt.

Edited by Molsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

This is definitely a bad look for Dake-especially after his complaining over the advantages JB got.

I wouldn’t go as far to say he’s cheating-he’s a returning, injured world champ (heard he tore his acl?). He is, however gaming the system designed to protect him-would you do the same? 

I mean no I wouldn’t do that but I don’t think that matters. He is deliberately gaming the system and likely breaking the rules. USA wrestling thought he was breaking the rules in fact

  I have zero problem with Dake delaying the wrestleoff. Even his lame last minute decision, screwing over the fans who bought tickets as well as Ringer, was fine technically. This is not however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Molsen said:

No, I think he supports letting Dake be as close to 100% as possible.  That only happens if Dake knocks off the rust from not wrestling all year.

He said “The goal is to get the best team for worlds”

if that is true, then Downey shouldn’t be on the team. We can’t go around making up rules because we want Dake at 100%. I also want Dake at 100%, but not if it means he breaks the rules and lawyers up to bully USA wrestling. He is being selfish and acting like a little kid. It’s embarrassing. 

Edited by Housebuye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dake doing this doesn’t mean rules were not broken. USA wrestling told him no at first and then he threatened legal action. It isn’t clear what the rules say here, but USA wrestling decided it wasn’t worth pursuing. 
Fair.

It's a gross situation but all we can hope is Ringer wins when the match happens and we avoid having a little primadonna at that weight or on the team, in the future.

GO RINGER
GO USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×