Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What is the issue with Yanni going?  He’s number 2 on the ladder and most likely ORS to prepare for Olympic trials. This is just a step in that process. 

He's the only number 2 going. I think that's the issue. 

Can't imagine anybody would be thrilled about a no. 2 going when it's a rankings event and could affect how your world bracket is drawn.   Should iMar go?  Colon? 

Edited by LemonPie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Is Yianni really going?  That seems kind of odd.  What's going on with USA Wrestling and Cornell?  Koll deep pockets? 

If he's seriously going...  we need more details on this.  

What happens if he draws Zain early on?  This is a ranking series event, and has real implications for World's.  Would Yianni forfeit?  Would Zadick try to block his entry?  

On its face it looks like blatant dissension.  Whether or not you agree with the decision and failed appeal, this doesn't look great.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be a politically incorrect move but everyone knows Yianni wants to be world #1 and an Olympic Gold medalist. If it’s not strictly forbidden I don’t think you can fault the guy for continuing down his own path to achieve his goals regardless of what others think and regardless of what the Final X outcome was. More than likely he had this circled on his calendar no matter happened. 

Zain and Yianni will continue to see each other over the coming years and if Zain is the man as indicated from Final X outcome, he should be able to take care of business again. If by some chance Yianni wins Dogu and the protest has not been ruled on yet, could be interesting to see what happens there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Is Yianni really going?  That seems kind of odd.  What's going on with USA Wrestling and Cornell?  Koll deep pockets? 

Lawyers. Dake cited some Amatuer Athletic Act (might not have that name exact) and threatened lawyers. FRL just reported Yianni's team, which is essentially Rob Koll, as having submitted an 18 Page Complaint. Guessing that document was written by Lawyers. 

So its readily apparent that Rob Koll has reduced wrestling to his legal maneuvers. Ain't Sport great? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

If he's seriously going...  we need more details on this.  

What happens if he draws Zain early on?  This is a ranking series event, and has real implications for World's.  Would Yianni forfeit?  Would Zadick try to block his entry?  

On its face it looks like blatant dissension.  Whether or not you agree with the decision and failed appeal, this doesn't look great.  

What happens at DOGU isn't supposed to have any effect on World Team. This happened last year with Kayla Miracle and the other girl whose name escapes me. Velte? 

Having said that, this msg. board will light up like 4th of July fireworks under certain conditions/results. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

What happens at DOGU isn't supposed to have any effect on World Team. This happened last year with Kayla Miracle and the other girl whose name escapes me. Velte? 

Having said that, this msg. board will light up like 4th of July fireworks under certain conditions/results. 

That depends... is the #4 seed totally out of reach for Zain?  It might be... he didn't go to Sassari or Kolov, and he would have only gotten a few points at Yarygin.  I haven't dug into the numbers though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

That depends... is the #4 seed totally out of reach for Zain?  It might be... he didn't go to Sassari or Kolov, and he would have only gotten a few points at Yarygin.  I haven't dug into the numbers though.  

"That depends..."

What are you saying, Charlie? That what happens at DOGU has an effect on how our World team is selected, or Yianni's Legal Challenge? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TBar1977 said:

"That depends..."

What are you saying, Charlie? That what happens at DOGU has an effect on how our World team is selected, or Yianni's Legal Challenge? 

No--I'm specifically referring to Dogu being a ranking series event, that counts towards the ranking point totals that can earn you a top 4 seed at the World Championships.  

I'm not saying Yianni beats Zain at Dogu he suddenly becomes our rep.  I'm saying if Yianni were to beat Zain at Dogu and prevent him from potential securing a seed at World's, that could be seen as a problem for Team USA as a whole.  

Again, I'm not sure if it's mathematically possible for him to get a seed.  I suspect probably not now that I've spent another 5 mins looking at it, so this is probably a moot point.  Unfortunately we can't transfer McCrystal's points from Pan Am's to him, or he'd be right in the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBar- is your position that Yianni should not be wrestling at Dogu? And if it weren’t for the lawyers he wouldn’t be? 

As for how they are making it work financially couldn’t it be from his family or other donors? I don’t think it’s appropriate for us to speculate how Yianni’s plane tickets are purchased and pretty nit picky if you ask me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did yianni's request for sure get shot down for a match 3 with retherford? Either way I say let him go, this is an individual sport and most people agree the handling of match 2 with Zain was complete crap anyways. If it screws zain's seed by outperforming him then so be it, let the better guy prevail. If I was in yianni's shoes I'd love to remind USA wrestling and zain who the real man at the weight is. If he (or his club) are footing the bill especially I can't see any merit to the complaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

TBar- is your position that Yianni should not be wrestling at Dogu? And if it weren’t for the lawyers he wouldn’t be? 

As for how they are making it work financially couldn’t it be from his family or other donors? I don’t think it’s appropriate for us to speculate how Yianni’s plane tickets are purchased and pretty nit picky if you ask me. 

Not exactly. 

My position is that if he is representing himself at DOGU, no problem with that.

On the other hand, if he is wearing the same singlet as the others who won World team spots, then how did that come about for him and him only? Seems it would have to have been tied to his protest if he is representing the World Team/USA Wrestling. Ringer is there because Dake previously stated he could not wrestle in this time period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Perry said:

Did yianni's request for sure get shot down for a match 3 with retherford? Either way I say let him go, this is an individual sport and most people agree the handling of match 2 with Zain was complete crap anyways. If it screws zain's seed by outperforming him then so be it, let the better guy prevail. If I was in yianni's shoes I'd love to remind USA wrestling and zain who the real man at the weight is. If he (or his club) are footing the bill especially I can't see any merit to the complaint

Yep. If Yianni is representing Yianni at DOGU, no issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

My position is that if he is representing himself at DOGU, no problem with that.

On the other hand, if he is wearing the same singlet as the others who won World team spots, then how did that come about for him and him only? 

So in summary- as long as he has a singlet on that says “Yianni” and not “USA” you’re good with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

So in summary- as long as he has a singlet on that says “Yianni” and not “USA” you’re good with it.

Yianni should be afforded any consideration given to the other 2nd or 3rd place finishers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yianni should be afforded any consideration given to the other 2nd or 3rd place finishers. 

 

Well technically only 2nd place finishers, 3rd place may have a different set of rules than 1st and 2nd... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

 

Well technically only 2nd place finishers, 3rd place may have a different set of rules than 1st and 2nd... 

Do you know if the other 2nd place finishers were invited? I don't see any of them rostered, but I also don't know if they were not invited or simply declined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×