Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

What team could rise the most and what team could fall the most in NCAA’s due to the Olympic Redshirt year?

It’s the off season so may as well do some useless early speculation.  

If you are someone who get sick of seeing the usual team in the Top 5 and wish for more parity then the Olympic Redshirt year is usually the the one with the best chance for it.  With a good lot of NCAA studs eligible for an Olympic Redshirt year we will end up seeing some teams shuffling. But which may rise and fall the most if we see the suspected Olympic Redshirt studs out of the lineup.  

Yeah it’s far down the road still.  Obviously you can’t always tell what freshman’s will go straight in and which gets a regular redshirt.   Sure we don’t know what teams may just tank the season by redshirting some other studs since they already are hurt for a Top 5 by OR guys leaving.  But let’s just assume teams have access to all their guys other than the suspected Olympic redshirt ones.  

What solid team will be effected little by the Olympic Redshirt year, and could possibly rise into the Top 5 since other the other top teams out their valuable point scorers?  One who may not have any Redshirts but several guys who will score NCAA points.  Or they may be losing one guy, but have others who are big point scorers and someone seasoned enough to step in the  OR wrestlers weight and score some NCAA points too.

What team would likely be a Top 5 next year with their full lineup, but the Olympic redshirts will end up causing a big fall?  A team that do not have guys ready to step in and get many NCAA points, let along the points the Olympic redshirt would be getting. 

Edited by MadMardigain

21 hours ago, ugarte said:

if cornell loses vito, yianni and dean ... yikes 

If Yianni were to ORS this coming season, I wonder if Eierman might decide not to.  He's probably the #4-5 guy at 65 kg, which is where he finished at the US Open and WTT's.  And if Yianni sits out the season, this would definitely be his best bet to win a national title, as a senior.  He would be the #1 ranked guy coming in.

23 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

If Yianni were to ORS this coming season, I wonder if Eierman might decide not to.  He's probably the #4-5 guy at 65 kg, which is where he finished at the US Open and WTT's.  And if Yianni sits out the season, this would definitely be his best bet to win a national title, as a senior.  He would be the #1 ranked guy coming in.

Maybe ..... although Eierman has already expressed his desire to take ORS some time ago.

If Eierman takes an ORS, will other wrestlers eligible for a regular RS (Mauller, Jacques, & Elam) also take a RS so Missouri can make a Trophy run in 2021 & be better positioned in 2022 and 2023 ?

Worth considering IMO.

Edited by Show_Me

We might see Eirmann, but I believe Grant Leeth is actually planning on going 141 next season in Eirmann's absence.

I also think Iowa could lose the most if lee decided to Oly RS as it would likely take away all of their title chances immediately 

40 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Lol. They think they are scoring 150pts too.

Shame on hardcore fans for being overly optimistic. How many times Have I heard PSU fans call for them to break the team scoring record?

I get that it has been quite some time since Iowa has been solidly into the 100’s so 150 is beyond a stretch. But, when you have 7 returning AA’s, 2 R12’s and a top recruit at the last weight, would you not expect fans to be optimistic?

If I had to guess I expect 110-120, with closer to 120 needed to beat PSU. For 150, Iowa would need to stay healthy and have no one falter. 

8 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Shame on hardcore fans for being overly optimistic. How many times Have I heard PSU fans call for them to break the team scoring record?

I get that it has been quite some time since Iowa has been solidly into the 100’s so 150 is beyond a stretch. But, when you have 7 returning AA’s, 2 R12’s and a top recruit at the last weight, would you not expect fans to be optimistic?

If I had to guess I expect 110-120, with closer to 120 needed to beat PSU. For 150, Iowa would need to stay healthy and have no one falter. 

PSU breaking the scoring record came from more than just PSU fans. I haven't heard anyone outside of HR saying IOWA will reach 150.

1 hour ago, unbiased said:

PSU breaking the scoring record came from more than just PSU fans. I haven't heard anyone outside of HR saying IOWA will reach 150.

I admittedly don’t keep track of everyone’s affiliation, but they ALL were just as delusional as anyone calling for 150 from Iowa.......